The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread | Page 53 | Vital Football

The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread

Like the rest of you, I'm impressed he didn't say he was going to try and make us shitter all over the park like some managers do in their first press conference.

Exactly what I was thinking when I heard 20 ! Either we have created a world record in hiring the earliest after interviewing 20 candidates or it was predetermined that it was always going to be Gerrard and feeding us pure BS. Frankly, I don't care as long as I see him do what he should.
Yeah, the list of 20 probably included Pep, Klopp and probably Mary Poppins, so the initial enquiries didn't take long :ROFLMAO:

I'd say they were keeping tabs on various managers, their availability and what their current team is doing. It's a long stretch to state that we had 20 targets.

Clubs always have dossiers on managers they rate, would like, who they think they should keep an eye on, nothing at all unusual in that.

When Smith was sacked, they would already have known the 2-3 they wanted, and most likely will have sounded out the agent and probably, as I said at the time, knew the one they were going to get.

Ah with you now.
This is a great forum by the way stick around , just take no notice of Mike Field and you'll be fine

200w.gif

Welcome btw Websta.

Who's saying that the 20 were anything other than a desktop exercise and that Lange hadn't had that ongoing before Dean got the boot. The club easily could have had 4 names ready as Dean was being given the chocolate watch.

Interviews-wise, has anyone heard of Zoom, Teams, WhatsApp or Skype?

You guys and your conspiracy theories. Don't go changing.

So you interview a candidate for a 5m a year job by video link, I don't think so, they may have contacted 4 and 3 said no and left SG who Purslow wanted in the first place. Don't forget this all allegedly happened in 3 days.
I'm pretty sure they knew who the wanted and sounded him out before they sacked Dean. If they didn't they are as stupid as Newcastle.

I don't suck up everything the club puts out as gospel but the timescale sounds far fetched and they were all as sheepish as hell, even Mr smarmy pants.

So you interview a candidate for a 5m a year job by video link, I don't think so
The whole world has been doing a lot bigger business by video link for the last two years now. But even if they had done it face-to-face it's not like he would have had to go by horse and cart or actually *he* didn't necessarily have to come to *us*. Ten days is a looooong time in big business.

Surprised by this comment tbh in view of the current downward spiral and the generally poor form in 2021.…[
Exactly what I was thinking when I heard 20 ! Either we have created a world record in hiring the earliest after interviewing 20 candidates or it was predetermined that it was always going to be Gerrard and feeding us pure BS. Frankly, I don't care as long as I see him do what he should.
whilst I enjoyed the words and content coming from Gerrard the whole thing again left me a little bit uneasy. It was all a bit too polished and convenient, Purslow to an extent makes my skin crawl, I liked Matt Kendrick second or third question which really irked Purslow.

The whole world has been doing a lot bigger business by video link for the last two years now. But even if they had done it face-to-face it's not like he would have had to go by horse and cart or actually *he* didn't necessarily have to come to *us*. Ten days is a looooong time in big business.
I now have Thomas Frank image blazer shirt tie, pyjama bottoms and slippers on a zoom call

whilst I enjoyed the words and content coming from Gerrard the whole thing again left me a little bit uneasy. It was all a bit too polished and convenient, Purslow to an extent makes my skin crawl, I liked Matt Kendrick second or third question which really irked Purslow.

Sit back, have hopes, enjoy the ride. It is done now. He could be excellent, if not, we just start all over again.

Not sure there is anything to be uneasy about, every appointment has a risk element, used the John Gregory example before, no one really wanted him, he was a breath of fresh air.

Sit back, have hopes, enjoy the ride. It is done now. He could be excellent, if not, we just start all over again.

Not sure there is anything to be uneasy about, every appointment has a risk element, used the John Gregory example before, no one really wanted him, he was a breath of fresh air.
I guess my uneasiness stems from the lack of wriggle room we have. That said I'm fully on board with this appointment, it's a gamble , a bold one but we had to do something

Just happen to think it's bull shine and if it is any other club you'd be saying the same, as we did with Conte at Spurs and who evert the latest Watford manager is. One sacked one-day new bloke in virtually the next day. I suppose we did take 3 days.

The club is not going to say we contacted him two weeks ago are they, look bad on them, not to mention an illegal approach. Obviously, we'd never do that because we are Aston Villa but other clubs do

Just happen to think it's bull shine and if it is any other club you'd be saying the same, as we did with Conte at Spurs and who evert the latest Watford manager is. One sacked one-day new bloke in virtually the next day. I suppose we did take 3 days.

The club is not going to say we contacted him two weeks ago are they, look bad on them, not to mention an illegal approach. Obviously, we'd never do that because we are Aston Villa but other clubs do

cobblers innit -
would have been fun if Purslow had cut the bs - "yep we tapped him a while back, I'm such a fan and of yep course he'll be off like a shot if he does well"

Just a small point on Gerrard watching his interviews, he’s obviously had some coaching on his presentation and question answering. Gone are the “yeah course…”, he’s very deliberate with his words, the breaths, the hands, the body language.

I like that because it shows that he is an academic of all aspects of the game and willing to learn.

Someone posted a few days ago (forgot who it was but I did like the post), I wasn’t blown away with Stevie G but the more I’ve seen of him this week the more relaxed and confident I am in him. He couldn’t have have been more professional and proven his drive even if he wanted to.

:utv:

You're not supposed to approach the manager but there's nothing to say you can't approach his agent, to gauge potential interest. The long list of 20 sounds OK to me; you've need a reasonably comprehensive list of potential candidates if you're going to be thorough about it. I wonder who was on the shortlist though; I don't trust the names being bandied about.