The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 109 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

Fair bit on Mings in this podcast

(also in the Brighton thread)
Fully agree with you on Mings and for the record, he's 28, 29 in March. So we have about a year to get out money back on him before he hits the big 30 and becomes worthless or his value plummets rather. High stock value, England international time to move him on. We've let too many run down their contracts and walk for free. Not sure who would buy him though

Fully agree with you on Mings and for the record, he's 28, 29 in March. So we have about a year to get out money back on him before he hits the big 30 and becomes worthless or his value plummets rather. High stock value, England international time to move him on. We've let too many run down their contracts and walk for free. Not sure who would buy him though
Sell sell sell, start the car mate.

Mings for various reasons was a late developer. I like him, provides a bit of steel to the defence which I don't think our other CBs do, yet. I think he'll get better and has some good years ahead of him. We keep on talking about needing leaders on the pitch but he's one of the few we've got. He clears up after others have got caught out.

I'd be surprised if SG goes for anything other than Cash, Konsa, Mings and Targett for the back line. And I reckon Mings will be captain.

We need a commanding centre back for Mings or Konza to partner. Mings can play left back if needed giving us more height at the back. But we need a new man in before we sell.

I think there would be plenty of takers if we were looking to sell Mings, he's an England international. Look at all the CB partnerships in the premier league and you could pick faults with basically all of them. With the way defenders are asked to play out from the back these days they are all prone to a mistake or two. Maguire & Stones are considered Englands best 2 CB's yet they get loads of abuse (especially on here) for being shite.
I'm not suggesting Mings is perfect, but he's not as bad as some would suggest and a stronger midfield in front of them would solve some of our defensive issues.

I think there would be plenty of takers if we were looking to sell Mings, he's an England international. Look at all the CB partnerships in the premier league and you could pick faults with basically all of them. With the way defenders are asked to play out from the back these days they are all prone to a mistake or two. Maguire & Stones are considered Englands best 2 CB's yet they get loads of abuse (especially on here) for being shite.
I'm not suggesting Mings is perfect, but he's not as bad as some would suggest and a stronger midfield in front of them would solve some of our defensive issues.

I don't see any clubs that would want him, if Slabhead and Stones are the best England have then you can see why Coady and Mings are backups
I think Mings is trading on his brilliant gutsy performances from the Championship, and fans who still rate him probably still think SJM is a 50m player and Conor Hourihane should still be in the squad, I think they might have given up on Jed now though.
I agree an England CB should fetch good money but who would actually spend it on him? I can't think of a single team even Burnely have better CB's, I think he's bog-standard. Top 6 clubs no way, the rest are no better than us that leaves Newcastle and he's allegedly fallen out with Howe. Personally, I think Konsa is far better and so do most of us.
The secret of running a self-funding club is selling at the right time and now is the right time or the next 12 months is.

I don't see any clubs that would want him, if Slabhead and Stones are the best England have then you can see why Coady and Mings are backups
I think Mings is trading on his brilliant gutsy performances from the Championship, and fans who still rate him probably still think SJM is a 50m player and Conor Hourihane should still be in the squad, I think they might have given up on Jed now though.
I agree an England CB should fetch good money but who would actually spend it on him? I can't think of a single team even Burnely have better CB's, I think he's bog-standard. Top 6 clubs no way, the rest are no better than us that leaves Newcastle and he's allegedly fallen out with Howe. Personally, I think Konsa is far better and so do most of us.
The secret of running a self-funding club is selling at the right time and now is the right time or the next 12 months is.

Well it's coming down to personal opinions now I suppose, but with a better midfield in front of the backline they wouldn't be as exposed so much. The video above points out that Mings plays better for England than Villa, I'd also say the same about Stones and Maguire but they usually have a solid base of Rice and one other DM in front of them - we don't get that with our midfield.
As for Mings leaving - he'd walk into Evertons backline, no way is Holgate or Mina better than him. Newcastle is another although he had a fall out with Howe so that isn't happening. Burnley wouldn't pay the fee but I don't see Ben Mee as an improvement and Tarkowski has been getting stick off Burnley fans this season for his form. Palace, Southampton are others but they probably couldnt afford him either.
It would obviously depend on our valuation but unless it was silly money I'm positive there would be buyers. Personally I dont think he's our weakest link, so wouldn't be looking to make a change there. Midfield and potentially LB are our biggest concerns for me.

Mings is a 28 year player with the match experience and game time of a 24 year old rookie. Thats really the issue IMO. Konsa is a bit of a prodigy but they both have about the same amount of game time and match experience. I don't think Konsa should be as far along as he is but Mings shouldnt be as poor as he is either.

Thats where I see Tuanzebe as a starter as pure folly, he'd come in and do a job here and there but a starter? That was a Steve Bruce mistake from Deano and he should have known better. Vastly over estimated his own ability and Axels.

Unless we see total competence from Mings between now and the end of the season we should get a good, solid and reliable partner for Konsa in the summer.

Mings is a 28 year player with the match experience and game time of a 24 year old rookie. Thats really the issue IMO. Konsa is a bit of a prodigy but they both have about the same amount of game time and match experience. I don't think Konsa should be as far along as he is but Mings shouldnt be as poor as he is either.

Thats where I see Tuanzebe as a starter as pure folly, he'd come in and do a job here and there but a starter? That was a Steve Bruce mistake from Deano and he should have known better. Vastly over estimated his own ability and Axels.

Unless we see total competence from Mings between now and the end of the season we should get a good, solid and reliable partner for Konsa in the summer.
But Mings, partly because he's 28, has more experience in a wider sense, and I think has better vision then the other options including Konsa. That's why it's often Mings who makes the vital block, and why he's the one to organise the defence. Konsa's very good, but having Mings alongside helps.

Well it's coming down to personal opinions now I suppose, but with a better midfield in front of the backline they wouldn't be as exposed so much. The video above points out that Mings plays better for England than Villa, I'd also say the same about Stones and Maguire but they usually have a solid base of Rice and one other DM in front of them - we don't get that with our midfield.
As for Mings leaving - he'd walk into Evertons backline, no way is Holgate or Mina better than him. Newcastle is another although he had a fall out with Howe so that isn't happening. Burnley wouldn't pay the fee but I don't see Ben Mee as an improvement and Tarkowski has been getting stick off Burnley fans this season for his form. Palace, Southampton are others but they probably couldnt afford him either.
It would obviously depend on our valuation but unless it was silly money I'm positive there would be buyers. Personally I dont think he's our weakest link, so wouldn't be looking to make a change there. Midfield and potentially LB are our biggest concerns for me.
Everton - good call. Good fit

Mings still walks into our team and is for me the easy and obvious choice to be captain. He's got a mistake in him but so does every other centre half. The only centre halves from pretty much any other club in the Premier league I'd take over him are either playing in the sky 6 clubs or are playing to his right in our defence.

Look at the state we were in when he walked through the door as a Bournemouth cast off reserve with a reputation for being injury prone. Now look at where we are now. He, like everyone else in our squad, has had a rough few weeks but he was our best outfield player against Southampton and we'd have lost by more than 1 if not for him. No one on earth is persuading me that he shouldn't start for us injuries permitting.

This is spot on. Konsa is much better and if we want to push up the table we should be doing better than Mings.

This is spot on. Konsa is much better and if we want to push up the table we should be doing better than Mings.

Exactly Mings does my head in He panics he's weak in the air for his size and he stands off everyone, if you watch him closely he always drops off and plays the opposition onside, time and time again. The trying to stand 5 to 10 yards off the shooter and block the shot is his party piece, just close them down!!!

Like I great player for us in the Championship and he's still dining out on it