Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bowers & Pitsea | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bowers & Pitsea

Status
Not open for further replies.
The highlights will be very short. It was a poor game but we are through and the person who bought my seat was not sat in it so I sat there second half.

They were always going to come and defend. From kick off they basically retreated to the 18 yard box. We did fairly well at avoiding giving away set pieces and their two best chances came from those. The didn't press at all, camped on the 18 yard box and at one point there were 21 players in the 18 yard width of the final third.

Like any of these games, unless you get that early goal it gives them encouragement. We didn't get 'the kitchen sink' late on either, I think they'd run out of gas.

First half was generally too slow. Why both McGrandles and Bishop felt the need to drop deep to take the ball from Roughan and Monstsma when neither had anyone to mark I've got on idea. Instead of one and two touch it was 6 and 7.

Second half we passed a little quicker and had less touches on the ball but trying to break down a formation and set-up like that is really difficult. Pace wouldn't have made any difference today - there was nothing to run into. We looked more of a threat when Bishop moved to RB and suddenly had some joy in a wide area.

Bramall had a bit mare and wouldn't take anyone on despite his pace (couple of decent tackles). Eyoma seemed reluctant to take anyone on when he was at RB. The less said about Hakeeb the better, he was embarrassing at times. Bishop better at RB than CM with a little more space, Maguire kept probing, Draper had a decent sub appearance, Monstma didn't have to break into a sweat.

Can we have a give back option on Hakeeb please? Considering it was supposedly a coo in getting him, it certainly hasn’t worked out here.

Can we have a give back option on Hakeeb please? Considering it was supposedly a coo in getting him, it certainly hasn’t worked out here.

Wouldn't shock me if we signed someone in his position in January and we don't see that much of him, especially once we're out of the cups. Hasn't been starting in the league games anyway. Clearly not been happy with him having been out of favour even with loads of injuries and hauling him off (publicly!) previously. Sort of Archibald style in terms of disappearing (albeit with a higher initial opinion from Mapp).

Can see why he wasn't involved after his Bristol City move- not sure if he has regressed from his time at Scunny or what

Good idea - I feel sorry for Remy - he would be a better bet - at least he stays on his feet most of the time

I probably felt like numerous fans across the land watching their "bigger" team come up against lower league and control the game but struggle to take the game by the scruff of the neck- MK Dons, Sunderland, Pompey, Ipswich, Wimbledon, Wycombe, Cambridge, Wigan and the Imps. All failed to stamp their mark on the game although most managed a tight win or draw (except Sunderland:loser:).

1st half, after first 15 mins when we looked like overwhelming them, we slowed the game down, took too many touches (like Arsenal used to be accused of.....we can be like Arsenal under Wenger, only not quite as good). They did hit the bar with their best chance though.

2nd half was better. We were snappier, faster, and smarter although we also made some frustrating unforced errors- their keeper pulled off some worldies- Draper came on in 50th minute and looked like he was born to play. He will be a cracking player if he carries on- more importantly, MA seems to like him a lot which gives him a chance before Jan of some good game time.

1-0 against a team who train once a week and set up to hussle, defend and disrupt and it worked.

Took my youngest (sadly a Man Utd fan) to the game and he enjoyed it although his observation of the whole game was "it wasn't that great a game".

If we can't get a home game next round, give me Harrogate away or some other pleasant away day.

Finally we had (in my calculations) one of the top 5 FA cup attendances today which is great- almost 6k which was a surprise. Wasn't expecting that many.

Stating the obvious to say wasn’t a great performance but we’re in the hat so that’s most important thing.
Although I expected B&P to get men behind the ball they outdid my expectations when from the kick off almost as one their front players retreated to 30 yards from their own goal and didn’t really change their approach till the last 10.
Their keeper had a good game and just Googling him I expected to find he’d been around the non league London scene for years but he’s only 26, looked 10 years older - but he spent 7 years in Chelsea youth system and played for England U19

I probably felt like numerous fans across the land watching their "bigger" team come up against lower league and control the game but struggle to take the game by the scruff of the neck- MK Dons, Sunderland, Pompey, Ipswich, Wimbledon, Wycombe, Cambridge, Wigan and the Imps. All failed to stamp their mark on the game although most managed a tight win or draw (except Sunderland:loser:).

1st half, after first 15 mins when we looked like overwhelming them, we slowed the game down, took too many touches (like Arsenal used to be accused of.....we can be like Arsenal under Wenger, only not quite as good). They did hit the bar with their best chance though.

2nd half was better. We were snappier, faster, and smarter although we also made some frustrating unforced errors- their keeper pulled off some worldies- Draper came on in 50th minute and looked like he was born to play. He will be a cracking player if he carries on- more importantly, MA seems to like him a lot which gives him a chance before Jan of some good game time.

1-0 against a team who train once a week and set up to hussle, defend and disrupt and it worked.

Took my youngest (sadly a Man Utd fan) to the game and he enjoyed it although his observation of the whole game was "it wasn't that great a game".

If we can't get a home game next round, give me Harrogate away or some other pleasant away day.

Finally we had (in my calculations) one of the top 5 FA cup attendances today which is great- almost 6k which was a surprise. Wasn't expecting that many.

Maybe it was a better game to watch than the Ure v City game......

Status
Not open for further replies.