The World Cup Thread | Page 38 | Vital Football

The World Cup Thread

I nearly started a new thread for this, then remembered that I always have lots of ideas and most them turn out to be flawed and shite!

But my blood really boils when I see injustice and I get fixated. I know that brining politics into football is a very contentious issue, but i'd be interested in knowing what you guys though if the following were to happen.

6,500 people have died making the stadiums for our next world cup. I'd capitalise that number if I could. They should not be forgotten.

In the same way that Leon Bailey acknowledged Steffi Graf when he scored (at least that was what my brain first saw!) How would you feel if our players whipped off their shirts at full time to each have one of the names of those that died during construction?

Would this bring a massive downer to an event that is supposed to be joyous, would it be dangerously political, or would it be an important statement to show that death for entertainment is not ok/ we acknowledge the suffering of their families? I understand that it would take a lot of teams and a lot of games for everyone to be acknowledged, if those names are even salvageable.

I nearly started a new thread for this, then remembered that I always have lots of ideas and most them turn out to be flawed and shite!

But my blood really boils when I see injustice and I get fixated. I know that brining politics into football is a very contentious issue, but i'd be interested in knowing what you guys though if the following were to happen.

6,500 people have died making the stadiums for our next world cup. I'd capitalise that number if I could. They should not be forgotten.

In the same way that Leon Bailey acknowledged Steffi Graf when he scored (at least that was what my brain first saw!) How would you feel if our players whipped off their shirts at full time to each have one of the names of those that died during construction?

Would this bring a massive downer to an event that is supposed to be joyous, would it be dangerously political, or would it be an important statement to show that death for entertainment is not ok/ we acknowledge the suffering of their families? I understand that it would take a lot of teams and a lot of games for everyone to be acknowledged, if those names are even salvageable.

Nice idea, but we would just get massive fines for doing it and possibly banned from playing in the next tournament. There have been several good reasons over the last 8 years or so for FIFA to move the World Cup to another country, but they will never do it as it would likely risk exposing their corruption even further and lead to a few officials being locked up.

I started the thread with similar Tom, it is a disgrace and felt it needed to be shown that no one is fooled by this corrupt WC going to such a country.

I started the thread with similar Tom, it is a disgrace and felt it needed to be shown that no one is fooled by this corrupt WC going to such a country.

Everyone is talking as if this coming WC is the only one that has been chosen through corrupt methods.

Nice idea, but we would just get massive fines for doing it and possibly banned from playing in the next tournament. There have been several good reasons over the last 8 years or so for FIFA to move the World Cup to another country, but they will never do it as it would likely risk exposing their corruption even further and lead to a few officials being locked up.
Do you think we'd get banned for simply remembering the dead?

Politics is in sport anyway, just not in the way we've recently seen. I can't see how 'names' would be contrary to the rules in that sense so I've no idea why Bailey was booked anyway.

Problem with that idea is you'd never get through all the names.

Despite being a sideshow for what I have long assumed was the vast majority of football fans, it seems international football and FIFA's pockets can't do anything wrong as following on from the utter shambles that was Argentina in the September interruption window, the Premier League have now confirmed that our 2022/23 campaign will likely have a lovely six odd week mid-season break so Qatar can hold it's hyped up press relations exercise whilst making sure nobody looks at anything else.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...st-greed-the-ruination-of-national-tradition/

The Norwegian and German teams have already paid some tribute, and in some respects that’s nice but we’re talking about people losing their lives for our entertainment.

We’re all so (rightly) ashamed of our slavery history and here it is in person, our future generations might look back on this in a simialr way to the slave trade but on a smaller scale.

It’s shocking and I can’t comprehend it.

Tail wagging the dog.
It's partly our own fault. We still keep on buying tickets, we turn out in our thousands even though games are changed at short notice for tv, waiting list for season tickets. Fifa know they can do whatever they like and fans will not protest, other than moan like we are now. Fans across Europe need to organize and let Eufa and Fifa know how we feel .