Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United

Do people not listen to the manager re team selection? Bishop ill and Hakeem not up to 3 games in 8 days after not full per season. Eyoma probably the poorest player Saturday so Jackson made sense to me.
On to the game, I was thinking can’t remember many league games where we’ve been battered like that, but on reflection can think of a handful but most of them we lost 5 or 6 not get a point.
Josh the most obvious man of the match since Cambridge game, although according to Alan Long Josh Vickers was playing.
My other takeaway is not to take up bare knuckle boxing.

League One has definitely gone up a notch this season and although we have some very good players, we look a bit more transitional that challengers so far. I also think currently we are a Saturday to Saturday side at present. Adding a Tuesday night in the mix and we look a bit leggy from the weekend, and we suffer going into the following weekend.

Tough watch but a valiant point. Rotherham are a relegated championship side, well drilled and make no secret they want to get it forward and load the box at every opportunity. We didn’t keep the ball well, and massively missed McGrandles and Bishop. Sorry to say currently but Sorensen is a passenger and looks a bit out of his depth. Hoping he will prove me wrong.

Anyway we will be perfectly fine, competitive but as above it looks transitional this year with the lack of a Johnson/Rodgers type player.

Brilliant point. They were significantly better than us tonight. Josh deservedly MOM - excellent performance.

I actually thought it was a good match and for about 2 mins at 1-1 thought we looked most likely to win it with good energy levels but they quashed that really well to be fair to them and should have won in the end.

Not much more to add apart from it was a real smash and grab draw. It just seems to be the way of things when we play Rotherham here, and as Jules mentioned the difference in the budgets was as obvious as the one sided nature to the game.

A great point though so onward to yet another fancied side on Saturday. My concern is how much tonight’s physicality will have taken out of the squad, we looked on our arse for the last 20 minutes and numerous players were struggling with knocks and obvious injuries.

No doubt Rotherham should have won by a few if it wasn't for Griffiths and maybe some poor finishing.

Really impressed with Rotherham, well organised extremely physical and completely on it. They gave us no time on the ball and won everything in midfield. They created a hat full of clear cut chances and probably should have done better with some of them. Apart from about 15-20 minutes in the second half they dominated the game. They will be really questioning how they don't have 3 points tonight!

A high pressing team caused us issues a few times last season and it did again today, big time. They pressed us aggressively, forced us to go long and they kept picking up the pieces. We have to learn to do better on the ball when we're being pressed. Not really helped by terrible passing and first touch throughout the game.

Rotherham dominated midfield and really limited our space, not helped by Bridcutt playing really deep. I think the idea was to get the full backs to move forward more but it didn't really work. General rule of thumb is that if Bridcutt doesn't play well, Lincoln don't play well.

The last 15 minutes were actually a bit embarrassing, we couldn't hold the ball and the players knew it. No-one seemed to want the ball!

Thankfully Griffiths had a wonder game and we managed to put together one superb move that resulted in a goal. I'd have been happy with a point before the game, with 10 minutes left to go it seemed very improbable. Really good point in the end.

We won't come up against teams that good every week and we won't play that badly. Time to put that game to bed and move on.

League One has definitely gone up a notch this season and although we have some very good players, we look a bit more transitional that challengers so far. I also think currently we are a Saturday to Saturday side at present. Adding a Tuesday night in the mix and we look a bit leggy from the weekend, and we suffer going into the following weekend.

Tough watch but a valiant point. Rotherham are a relegated championship side, well drilled and make no secret they want to get it forward and load the box at every opportunity. We didn’t keep the ball well, and massively missed McGrandles and Bishop. Sorry to say currently but Sorensen is a passenger and looks a bit out of his depth. Hoping he will prove me wrong.

Anyway we will be perfectly fine, competitive but as above it looks transitional this year with the lack of a Johnson/Rodgers type player.
Sorensen's astute pass started the move for the equaliser, he threatened to look world class for a few minutes aftwerwards. But then he faded, and was anonymous as we clung on. But in that period after half time he showed what he can do.

You'd think by now we might try something different, like going 3 at the back ourselves or something.

That's what my old man said. Sometimes when you were under pressure as much as we were, it's worth matching up to try and stop your opponents.

We shouldn't beat ourselves up to much about this result. We played a very strong, well organised side that knew how to play a high energy pressing game. Rotherham will expect to be one of the teams to contest the top three league places this year. We were lucky to get a point and somehow managed to stay in the game to get it. Not every team we play this season will be able to assert themselves as Rotherham did in this game. Bring on Ipswich.

Last edited:
When the report on the OS refers to Ollie McGrandles and Lincs Live includes Lasse Sanderson in the Imps line up, is it any wonder. Accuracy in writing is an essential skill which seems to have been forgotten.

Bring on the 18" Stonehenge.
And the Radio Lincs match commentator refers to "Bridcot"

Touch and passing from almost every player was terrible, we couldn't hold possession for five seconds. We have no defensive qualities at all in midfield except for Bridcutt. Sorensen looked like he has never played the game before. Robson totally swamped by Ogbene, what a pity that guy plays for Rotherham. A point won thanks to Griffiths.
I assume Ogbene was their 11. Said similar to my mate, wasted with those lumps.

Last edited: