Chairmans Chat... | Page 10 | Vital Football

Chairmans Chat...

Whilst the bit about the Scally Out Brigade did drag on too long I thought it was decent video.

- Staff and supply issues are all true from everything I've head from friends and family across a broad range of industries.

- I hadn't heard the rumour about the pay increase so I'm glad he debunked that. Sounds like a moron thinking he can read accounts probably started that.

- I think he's right to go after the lead morons who are attacking him and spreading bollocks. That's his right as a person in the UK and as a business.

- Nice to hear a little bit about the consultancy fee and a pay cut. Sure we probably should have heard about it ages ago but he's doing the vids now and telling us so let's not cry over spilled milk.

- Jobs a plenty for those that want them. Nobby the steward anyone?

I'm glad he did another chat. Some good bits and many less good bits.

I think he spent far too long on the whole fans and social media things. He should have said "I'm not happy with it and will be taking action", now onto positive things happening at the club ...................

The most interesting thing he said was he took a 50% cut during the covid year. Had he said that last year (as Evans did) he would have got a lot of support and a lot more of the fans respect and appreciation that he craves.

The update on the factory was interesting but what I wanted to hear was more of :

- this is what we are doing to try and get more fans in
- these are the promotions we have coming
- this is how you get a question to me

He brushed the lower gates of as due to COVID, no acknowledgement that we may not have got the ticketing policy right or any discussion on trying different things

He said multiple times that he wanted to focus on the positives. I agree that's what he should have done, instead he focussed on the negatives of social media for the fans for the bulk of it.

As I said I'm glad he did it, just wish it left me feeling more informed on the positive things we are going to try to do progress as a club. Just my view.
Agree he could have done more on positive things for those of us that ignore the morons anyway.

We’re reasonably well behaved and it feels like we have a diverse range of opinions so a lot of the shite gets exposed for what it is. Compare that with some of the other forums that are simply echo chambers for ScallyOut campaign!

Agree with this. There's a lot we don't agree on, but very seldom do I think we disrespect each other or Scally, even when, on occasions, rightly critcising him.

I left the more extreme "Scally out" Facebook groups years ago, but can envisage the type who Scally is referring to - people so stupid that they are posting in their own name comments which are clearly libellous. For example, I remember being on one of the groups on Facebook in the latter days of JED (god rest his soul) when he enjoyed probably the biggest transfer and wage budget that Scally has outlayed since the Championship days, but was playing the "little old Gillingham" card in a period when we got thumped by Rochdale. When I pointed this out on that forum, I was roundly hounded and got some personal abuse as a "Scally lover" as JED was right and Scally hadn't given him any budget and was the cause of all our evils. That was just a taster and I left the group and stick to this forum these days, so can see how Scally gets peeved by the attacks, being the man at the top, I can only envisage how he's getting pasted now.

Saying that, I'm not sure that he's helping himself. OK, the "Scally out" chants aren't nice and I can understand why he's pissed off with them, but I think he is conflating them with the libellous comments and "vile" abuse that he's getting on Social Media. Is chanting "Scally Out" really that bad? Wouldn't do it myself, but I find it quite extreme from him to say that he doesn't want people who have travelled all the way to Shrewsbury to support us and probably spent a fortune in the process to ever support us again. Seems a bit of an overreaction to me for a personal attack on him. Scally also said that he wants to bring positivity to the club, but spent about 75% of the "chat" being negative.

I think it was Mark (above) who said this and I agree that Scally said about using his chats to address concerns and queries from supporters and has also said that he's always open to comments and questions. However, it would be nice to hear how supporters can go about posing questions to him in a constructive way and will get a constructive response and not be on some sort of blacklist.

I enjoy Scally's Chairman's Chats and hope he keeps them up. However, one thing I'd say is that I think they will evoke debate and response from whatever side of the debate you're on - he's bound to glean a response from the "Scally out" brigade with his provocative comments, but equally (as we've seen on here) his boot lickers will be lapping it up too and ignoring any negative aspects of his current output and regurgitating his mantra in a drooling way.

Last edited:
- I hadn't heard the rumour about the pay increase so I'm glad he debunked that. Sounds like a moron thinking he can read accounts probably started that.

- Nice to hear a little bit about the consultancy fee and a pay cut. Sure we probably should have heard about it ages ago but he's doing the vids now and telling us so let's not cry over spilled milk.
I think the pay increase section was referring to the last set of published accounts that showed a £46k consultancy fee pay rise over the previous year.
Of course this didn’t cover the Covid period but the year previous, there was confusion with some fans I guess not understanding accounts and the period they relate to.
Scally said the extra money was used to pay off his staff in Dubai, I hadn’t realised he’d still been based there as recently as 2019, thought he left a few years before.

I too have seen very libellous stuff about Scally on social media - usually to do with transfer fees going straight into his pocket and other crap along the same theme. Those people deserve to be sued. And the Scally out chants at Burton were idiotic. Paul doesn’t do himself any favours by going on too much, but I thought he looked pretty stressed in this latest video. He had the air of a man carrying the entire club on his shoulders - and he probably is.

I think he could have talked about the ticketing side a bit more, there’s been a lot of problems with the new online system and perhaps he could have highlighted that the friends for a fiver and 5 free ticket vouchers now finally being available to use, that would have got him a few brownie points amongst those who’d been waiting for them.

Also he could have stated that the ticket office is still open for the time being at least (seemingly from 10-4 during the week), as I know many people prefer to get their tickets in person who could not operate the new system.

The attack on social media went on a bit, and he conflates attacks on him with attacks on the club. He doesn’t understand that people can still support the team without necessarily wanting him to be the owner. This was covered well in the Gillsintheblood video - frustrations over how things are being run, but all 3 in it are big fans of the club.

and perhaps he could have highlighted that the friends for a fiver and 5 free ticket vouchers now finally being available to use, that would have got him a few brownie points amongst those who’d been waiting for them.

I cant bring myself to sit through it again but I think the media guy did

I too have seen very libellous stuff about Scally on social media - usually to do with transfer fees going straight into his pocket and other crap along the same theme. Those people deserve to be sued. And the Scally out chants at Burton were idiotic. Paul doesn’t do himself any favours by going on too much, but I thought he looked pretty stressed in this latest video. He had the air of a man carrying the entire club on his shoulders - and he probably is.

Agreed mate , I feel for him for what his family are going through. Nobody knows what messages he or his family are receiving , but we all know there's some pretty nasty people about , abusing others from behind a screen.
It would stress anyone out.

Also he could have stated that the ticket office is still open for the time being at least (seemingly from 10-4 during the week), as I know many people prefer to get their tickets in person who could not operate the new system.
Is this correct as I would much prefer to buy my tickets at the ground. I might have missed the announcement but Mr Scally stated in the Lincoln programme that it was intended to open the ticket office at set times every week. I sat through 30 minutes of negativity during the Chairmans Chat and there was no attempt to address genuine problems that have been brought to his attention. However he did say that he would respond to comments made to him directly - perhaps I will try this approach.

Is this correct as I would much prefer to buy my tickets at the ground. I might have missed the announcement but Mr Scally stated in the Lincoln programme that it was intended to open the ticket office at set times every week. I sat through 30 minutes of negativity during the Chairmans Chat and there was no attempt to address genuine problems that have been brought to his attention. However he did say that he would respond to comments made to him directly - perhaps I will try this approach.
It’s been open this week, don’t know if it will continue indefinitely, but I know someone who buys all his away game tickets in the office as he likes to have his tickets in hand prior to travelling to the games so he goes there during the week and gets the tickets printed out.
They don’t seem to publicise when it’s open, but at present it’s open weekdays between those times.

Agree with this. There's a lot we don't agree on, but very seldom do I think we disrespect each other or Scally, even when, on occasions, rightly critcising him.

I left the more extreme "Scally out" Facebook groups years ago, but can envisage the type who Scally is referring to - people so stupid that they are posting in their own name comments which are clearly libellous. For example, I remember being on one of the groups on Facebook in the latter days of JED (god rest his soul) when he enjoyed probably the biggest transfer and wage budget that Scally has outlayed since the Championship days, but was playing the "little old Gillingham" card in a period when we got thumped by Rochdale. When I pointed this out on that forum, I was roundly hounded and got some personal abuse as a "Scally lover" as JED was right and Scally hadn't given him any budget and was the cause of all our evils. That was just a taster and I left the group and stick to this forum these days, so can see how Scally gets peeved by the attacks, being the man at the top, I can only envisage how he's getting pasted now.

Saying that, I'm not sure that he's helping himself. OK, the "Scally out" chants aren't nice and I can understand why he's pissed off with them, but I think he is conflating them with the libellous comments and "vile" abuse that he's getting on Social Media. Is chanting "Scally Out" really that bad? Wouldn't do it myself, but I find it quite extreme from him to say that he doesn't want people who have travelled all the way to Shrewsbury to support us and probably spent a fortune in the process to ever support us again. Seems a bit of an overreaction to me for a personal attack on him. Scally also said that he wants to bring positivity to the club, but spent about 75% of the "chat" being negative.

I think it was Mark (above) who said this and I agree that Scally said about using his chats to address concerns and queries from supporters and has also said that he's always open to comments and questions. However, it would be nice to hear how supporters can go about posing questions to him in a constructive way and will get a constructive response and not be on some sort of blacklist.

I enjoy Scally's Chairman's Chats and hope he keeps them up. However, one thing I'd say is that I think they will evoke debate and response from whatever side of the debate you're on - he's bound to glean a response from the "Scally out" brigade with his provocative comments, but equally (as we've seen on here) his boot lickers will be lapping it up too and ignoring any negative aspects of his current output and regurgitating his mantra in a drooling way.
“Very seldom do I think we disrespect each other”……………”his boot lickers will be lapping it up too and ignoring any negative aspects of his current output and regurgitating his mantra in a drooling way.”

Yeah, right.

I’m pretty sure that I have never come across a ‘Scally boot licker’ either on here or in real life.
Any sensible person can identify his obvious deficiencies as easily as they can identify a keyboard warrior with an unwarranted axe to grind.
My response to every Scally Out person I’ve spoken to over the years has been exactly the same.
Ok, Scally Out?
Then who in?
Not a single person has an answer to that.
Hypothetical mysterious buyers but never anything concrete.

In my snooker club their was a Palarse supporter last season moaning about their Chairman and their position in the Prem. I have close friends whose daughter is best friends with Parish's daughter and they go on family holidays together. Apparently Parish spends the whole "holiday" dealing with club matters and is constantly on the phone. Incredibly stressful.

These pr#cks who shout abuse have got no idea what owners go through. Thick tw#ts. What is their solution? If I were a potential"suger daddy" I'd steer well clear of the Gills with those specials poisoning the atmosphere. I'd add their peurile homophobia and booing the knee to the list of off putting features.

No, I am not a Scally fan and I'm well aware of his faults but a small group seem to be poisoning the atmosphere. The nicest thing I could say about them is that their actions do not help the club. I accept they are more dedicated than me in terms of attendance but their actions and behaviour are now detrimental.

Basically I'm saying stfu unless they have something constructive to say (as many posters on this thread have).

“Very seldom do I think we disrespect each other”……………”his boot lickers will be lapping it up too and ignoring any negative aspects of his current output and regurgitating his mantra in a drooling way.”

Yeah, right.

Touched a nerve clearly?

Point is that, whilst there are some who can and will never give Scally any credit and will slate him for whatever he does, there are others who will never criticise and challenge him - IMO some of the responses to his Chairman's Chats even on here clearly do that and lap up what he says with absolutelt no challenge at all.

Personally, I like to think that I praise and challenge him in equal measures.

As PS said , this is not just affecting him , but his family.
Sponsors, wined and dined , must be less than impressed.
The players will be hearing what I'd describe 'non-supportive' chanting.
End result , the club suffers.

My response to every Scally Out person I’ve spoken to over the years has been exactly the same.
Ok, Scally Out?
Then who in?
Not a single person has an answer to that.
Hypothetical mysterious buyers but never anything concrete.
It’s not for anyone on here to come up with a named buyer.
If Scally was to put the club openly up for sale, then either offers would come in, or they wouldn’t. We’d have to wait and see what happened. It could be that any offers made weren’t acceptable to Scally and he’d remain the owner anyway, which is probably what would happen.

It’s not for anyone on here to come up with a named buyer.
If Scally was to put the club openly up for sale, then either offers would come in, or they wouldn’t. We’d have to wait and see what happened. It could be that any offers made weren’t acceptable to Scally and he’d remain the owner anyway, which is probably what would happen.

I doubt it works like that.

If someone really wanted to buy a 3rd tier football club, they’d approach Scally whether or not the club was openly for sale. It isn’t like buying a house.