Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm | Page 39 | Vital Football

Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm

Not plucky losers agree, but to an extent hapless endeavour. Chelsea had 2 corners and hit the bar in the opening 5 mins , then got the goal. Then a goal after the break immediately.
They had total control of the match result albeit we tried hard in between it really was men against boys in terms of where the points were going

Trust Silhill to be the only Villa fan there who has a negative view on the game.

We had Chelsea well rattled. I can't believe anyone could say they controlled the game in the first half.

As Deano said the fans were magnificent all game and it was because the team were giving them something to sing about. A stark contrast to Watford where we were very quiet.

Trust Silhill to be the only Villa fan there who has a negative view on the game.

We had Chelsea well rattled. I can't believe anyone could say they controlled the game in the first half.

As Deano said the fans were magnificent all game and it was because the team were giving them something to sing about. A stark contrast to Watford where we were very quiet.
We lost 3-0

We arguably outplayed the Champions league winners in the first half and yet apparently they were in ‘control throughout’….an utter load of cobblers. If you come away today thinking ‘it’s going to be a long hard season’ you‘ve seen a completely different game to the majority that were there or those who saw it on the box. Result disappointing but the overall performance far from it.

First half pressing was very good but that is the minimum I expect.
I said they were in control of the match result throughout and they were.

If you didn’t know the score and had to guess who won from the stats, you’d choose Villa.

Only one stat that matters granted, but it’s one of those games where individual errors cost us and on another day we could’ve had a decent point or a smash and grab.

The only thing that’s important now is we work as hard on next week’s game, as we did today’s game in order to get the three points.

A66A0AE7-CCD9-4C7B-BC6D-D8C7E529C248.jpeg

Did you not arrive at Stamford Bridge until the 50th minute? Shame. Most of us were singing our hearts out at the half time whistle because we were so encouraged by a more than decent first half performance where we more than matched the Champions League winners.
You quoted a sèction of my sentence, not the whole thing.
They totally controlled the match result with goals at key moments , I agree we played well in between but the result was never in doubt. Disappointing as we were naive at key moments

ooh plenty of slaps on the back for the plucky losers.
I'd imagine if we'd beaten someone 3-0 at home whilst resting a couple and having a few out and the opposition were claiming they'd outplayed us somehow we'd be splitting our sides.
we weren't good enough to take our chances and we weren't good enough to stop them taking theirs

need 3 pts in the next one

I'd imagine if we'd beaten someone 3-0 at home whilst resting a couple and having a few out and the opposition were claiming they'd outplayed us somehow we'd be splitting our sides.
we weren't good enough to take our chances and we weren't good enough to stop them taking theirs

Chelsea did what they needed to In second gear . That is the harsh reality , they didn't play well , we did after going 0-1 down first half and lost 3-0.

Yep, they took their chances, we didn’t. But you can look for positives even when you lose! And there were plenty of positives today despite the score line. That said, you seem reluctant to post anything remotely positive at the best of times so I guess a 3-0 defeat gives you plenty if ammunition to do what comes naturally!

Yep, they took their chances, we didn’t. But you can look for positives even when you lose! And there were plenty of positives today despite the score line. That said, you seem reluctant to post anything remotely positive at the best of times so I guess a 3-0 defeat gives you plenty if ammunition to do what comes naturally!
Playing well for a section of a game whilst getting spanked in the scoreline doesn't tick any boxes for me and lots of villa fans. I think we are right to criticise them again today based on the overall . Goal 1 far too easy , Goal 2 straight after the break stupid mistake ends the contest .
That said we were not in it from the first whistle until they scored what was it 3 or 4 corners a very fortunate escape with one off the bar. I don't take many positives from today other than we played with our best press and intensity from 15-45th minute , a good half hour,

OK, we lost 3-0. Did they deserve to win? Undoubtedly. Their first goal was out-of-this-world sheer class from Lukaku. That's why they bought him. Apart from that I was shocked at how easy it was to cut through their defence in the first half. We played well, surprisingly well given it was an unfamiliar system. We could have capitalised on it but didn't. Good though we were, Ollie was a bit rusty (understandably), Ings was strangely anonymous, and there was nobody else around who looked like scoring from open play.

Second half Mings's mistake cost us. If you make those mistakes you don't deserve to win. The third goal didn't matter; we left ourselves open while trying to get something out of the match.

All in all, some good signs from us but also stuff we need to work out. We have good players and better squad depth, so the basis is there. So where do we go from here?

First thing, Dean has to ask himself if 3-5-2 is the way to go. I have big doubts. We have wingers who can also score, but in the first half none were on the pitch. Cash and Targett had good games but they don't score goals, which left us with the 2 forwards. Not enough and it doesn't reflect the strengths in attack we have.

Second thing, Dean has some thinking to do about who he wants to play. One of the problems of squad depth! We had more talent on the bench than we've had for a long time, and we still have emi2 to come back.

So, not a happy loser but there was enough for us in the match to give some confidence going forwards. But there are also questions about where we go from here, which may take a bit of time sorting out.

Another class striker arrives at the Villa (Ings) and looks lost in a Villa shirt, hoping it was just because the opposition are European Champions as some are pointing out, but he also looked lost against Brentford 2 weeks ago, it’s ok buying these players if you play to their liking, otherwise it’s 30mill wasted…hope I’m wrong.

Wtf was Steer doing early on when they had a corner, he just came in a crowd and flapped at it! Lukaku - first goal world class? Shite from Tuanzebe, asleep and then just commits himself. Second goal, Tuanzebe does his bit and then Mings completely fooks up - drives you mad, could have been up 3-1 up by then. Say what you like about Lukaku getting the third, sure it was only ever going in but what a pathetic effort from Tuanzebe to get in the way of it.
Mings and Tuanzebe need to step up in this formation. Villa should have had something out of this game. Oh and by the way - John Terry sitting there pretending to look neutral - go and do one.

Last edited:
Was watching in a friends house, haven't read the thread, but no way was that a 3-0 loss.

Thought we played really well for the most part, actually missed the 2nd goal and only saw way later it was a Mings fuckup, but whatever, this side is decent and I'm pretty excited for the rest of the season.