The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 319 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s that then.

Not overly impressed (again). Certainly loads more questions than answers , some self inflicted, others due to the action of others.

If the club see progress as one or two places then they will be happy. As I would be given where we are and what has happened.
Although , I was told we should be pushing higher and into Europe. This squad doesn’t look to me like anything more than 9th/10th or treading water.

Looks like a big missed opportunity to me to push on. If we finish above where we did last season I’ll be amazed/ relieved.

If we’re struggling then I hope there’s already a plan in place for quality reinforcements in January.

Looks like a big missed opportunity to me to push on. If we finish above where we did last season I’ll be amazed/ relieved.

If we’re struggling then I hope there’s already a plan in place for quality reinforcements in January.

One day we will know the truth but him leaving has set us back. Don't care what they say tbh but we were set to more forward with him in. Our signings were with a view of him.staying apart from probably Ings who was shoe horned the night before he left. Funny that. They said Buendia was brought in to help him..Then they changed the story.

100 million wasn't and didn't price him out. When what 3 years ago Harry Macguire costs you 83 million , a defender....then 100 million for him wasn't way out there ott.

Oh dear.

Can't say I'm bot disappointed we haven't signed at least another quality midfielder but if the targets we wanted weren't gettable for whatever reason then I'd rather we held fire rather than sign someone for the sake of signing someone.

Its easy to get desperate and then you end up with Tom Carroll, Djemba Djemba,, Sylla, Baston and Salifou.

One day we will know the truth but him leaving has set us back. Don't care what they say tbh but we were set to more forward with him in. Our signings were with a view of him.staying. They said Buendia was brought in to help him..Then they changed the story.

100 million wasn't and didn't price him out. When what 3 years ago Harry Macguire costs you 83 million , a defender....then 100 million for him wasn't way out there ott.

Oh dear.
Most of the signings we have made I would have fully expected with Grealish staying. Leaving the window turning a profit is hardly a massive ambition statement but could never the less still prove to be a smart move, time will tell.

Not popular to say on here but Purslow's comments in his video were largely a load of bollocks, I said that at the time and stand by it. What would have been the strategy had Grealish remained? No signings? One or two? Doesn't hold up.

As the quality of our squad increases the number of available players who can improve it reduces. And every team are looking for the same solutions to their problems in this cattle market. Buendia will be a class act for us I’m sure, Ings will score plenty and Bailey I’ve no idea but as always, we live in hope! Young and Tuanzebe have improved the quality of our subs bench and have already been called into action. To further improve we may have to look at £50m plus players but not if they’re no better than what we’ve akready got.

Most of the signings we have made I would have fully expected with Grealish staying. Leaving the window turning a profit is hardly a massive ambition statement but could never the less still prove to be a smart move, time will tell.

Not popular to say on here but Purslow's comments in his video were largely a load of bollocks, I said that at the time and stand by it. What would have been the strategy had Grealish remained? No signings? One or two? Doesn't hold up.

Yep. Looks to me like the plan was him staying and those signings on top which accounts for no further business otherwise as you say we have only spent nearly tbr SJ money. If they thought he was staying then its not really their fault but it's fcuked their plans and we didn't do anything else.

I honestly think it was a decent window. If you break things down, we have improved the defensive depth from last year with the addition of Axel and Young and we've now got two strikers that will virtually guarantee double figures. Obviously there are question marks about the midfield, but in Buendia and Bailey we have definitely upgraded on one side of the attacking field. I'm not a fan of stats, but their production was very good at their previous clubs. When/if everyone is fit we have a lot of options and quite a bit more depth. I'm also glad that we didn't just get "fillers" for the squad and weren't held to ransom on targets we may have been pursuing (you know the asking price went up once we got the 100 million from Oilchester.....). By getting most in before that sale, we played the market rate, not the "oh Aston Villa are loaded now, let's raise the price" rate.

As the quality of our squad increases the number of available players who can improve it reduces. And every team are looking for the same solutions to their problems in this cattle market. Buendia will be a class act for us I’m sure, Ings will score plenty and Bailey I’ve no idea but as always, we live in hope! Young and Tuanzebe have improved the quality of our subs bench and have already been called into action. To further improve we may have to look at £50m plus players but not if they’re no better than what we’ve akready got.

You say the quality. Yet we haven't seen most of them in action yet properly or even together. Think we need to stop watching you tube, going by reports of others and see ourselves before judging quality.

I think if we make the signings we have in the last few days before the window, ahem, finishes, then this is a totally different conversation. I think it's obvious the club are looking at now bringing in very specific targets should they be possible but being okay waiting if they're not. If Ward-Prowse and Smith-Rowe lands differently then we've spent an additional £70-80m without the owners batting an eyelid.

It looks to me like the right opportunity re a midfielder didn't come along. Everybody seems to agree that Ings Buendia and Bailey seem wise on the face of it and something other clubs will have wished they had done. But the numbers being touted for a midfielder such as Ward Prowse seemed more controversial and in his case turns out he was happy at Southampton. I do not now need to dread some duffer signings for large sums that other clubs have made after selling a player for massive money. I'll take a similar position this year without relying on one particular player. The emphasis on our youth since nswe came in is great and this season will probably see some breakthroughs in the first team. Letting Buendia and Martinez go for the intnl break demonstrates a support for the players which can only serve our reputation well.....Martinez won't want to go to a club that won't do that. He goes there and gets lauded by Messi!
In short the "missed opportunity" may be something of mirage. Everyone likes seeing the cash being splashed but too often it's fools gold.Look at all the other progress.

Not popular to say on here but Purslow's comments in his video were largely a load of bollocks, I said that at the time and stand by it. What would have been the strategy had Grealish remained? No signings? One or two? Doesn't hold up.[/QUOTE]
In essence what he said has become the case. Up front we have upgraded and that sort of replaces Grealish. I think he was just throwing everybody into the same bucket rather than going into the logic behind each individual transfer. I wouldn't read too much into parsing each bit of his statement.

Strange one really did HE leave after he saw the plans or did HIM leaving force us to buy .

I really thought we were going to keep HIM and add the 3 we have, which would see us possibly challenge the top 6 but as it is we are one of the 12 who could be sucked into the dogfight if we can include Arsenal Wolves and Leeds in that I'm sad to say you have to include us.

It really is flip a coin and hope isn't it, we can all summon up the bravado ie we are too good to go down with these players but are we really just relying on 3 teams being worse.

Strange one really did HE leave after he saw the plans or did HIM leaving force us to buy .

I really thought we were going to keep HIM and add the 3 we have, which would see us possibly challenge the top 6 but as it is we are one of the 12 who could be sucked into the dogfight if we can include Arsenal Wolves and Leeds in that I'm sad to say you have to include us.

It really is flip a coin and hope isn't it, we can all summon up the bravado ie we are too good to go down with these players but are we really just relying on 3 teams being worse.
I think Grealish's mind was made up well over a year ago and there was nothing we could do, short of signing Messi, Mbappe, Haaland etc to stop it.

I don't think we have the resources (at least willingness to pay) and pull to bring in top class players at all. Grealish on the other hand wants to play with the elite first and foremost and then be at a club which helps boost his delusions of being a celebrity. That's how I see it anyway.

I don't share the sentiment that we have gone back two years. Bailey and Buendia look like they could be the real deal. Sanson played last night so he might be the midfielder we have all been crying out for.

We definitely would have been better off with Jack in the squad but that's the way it goes. We've replaced him as well as we could and improved a couple of other areas.

I think if we make the signings we have in the last few days before the window, ahem, finishes, then this is a totally different conversation. I think it's obvious the club are looking at now bringing in very specific targets should they be possible but being okay waiting if they're not. If Ward-Prowse and Smith-Rowe lands differently then we've spent an additional £70-80m without the owners batting an eyelid.

I think if we make those signings late in the window there would (correctly) be noises of panic buys. It would be worse.

I'm not trying to be clever, (that would be difficult anyway:grinning:) but I'll tell you how this transfer window went end of December after seeing how the season has gone between now and then?

I will say though that something just doesn't feel right at the top of the club particularly between our CEO and playing management?

Just a hunch/feeling and of course I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I don't share the sentiment that we have gone back two years. Bailey and Buendia look like they could be the real deal. Sanson played last night so he might be the midfielder we have all been crying out for.

We definitely would have been better off with Jack in the squad but that's the way it goes. We've replaced him as well as we could and improved a couple of other areas.
I haven't seen Bailey yet but Buendia I'm already thinking "where is he playing", is he another one of those players you have to build your team around to be effective or play like Norwich.
He's not a striker he's certainly not a winger WTF is he. He was one of two no8's at Norwich, we play with a front 3 or one depending on how you look at it.
Could be another Ross Mac , but one that can open his own gates. By that I mean nobody could fit him into their team.
which brings me to how do you fit in Ings and Watkins together.
It seems a mish mash of players, rather than a plan

I haven't seen Bailey yet but Buendia I'm already thinking "where is he playing", is he another one of those players you have to build your team around to be effective or play like Norwich.
He's not a striker he's certainly not a winger WTF is he. He was one of two no8's at Norwich, we play with a front 3 or one depending on how you look at it.
Could be another Ross Mac , but one that can open his own gates. By that I mean nobody could fit him into their team.
which brings me to how do you fit in Ings and Watkins together.
It seems a mish mash of players, rather than a plan
When you throw a dreadful preseason into the mix, Bailey's lack of fitness, I think we're in for a tough time getting a good tune out of this lot. Smith has to deviate from his tried and trusted 4-3-3 IMO as well.

Why are you capitalising 57?

Status
Not open for further replies.