Birmingham History Thread - then and now | Page 5 | Vital Football

Birmingham History Thread - then and now

Newtown and the shopping precinct was about a mile from our house in Aston and this is exactly how I remember it as a 14 year old teenager in 1968 when the photo was taken.

Also, notice the wonderful Barton Arms in the background.

That brings back memories TH.
On my first agency with Prudential I used to have to collect cash on a Friday night in Inkerman House. This would have been about 79-80ish.
There were so many muggings in the area by then I was given special dispensation to ditch the suit and tie, and collect in jeans and whatever took my fancy to blend in.
Bastards still knew who I was. Lol.

the good old barton arms, laurel and hardy went in there when at the hipp, i worked on the newtown shopping centre as a brickies labourer, my mate used to see me in the morning shovelling the compo laughing his head off, i learnt to drive a dumper there, not long after i was driving my first car (in second gear) the first of many old bangers ,,
you can say from the bartons to the elbow room, via the lozells working mans club and the lion rangers football club upstairs in the holt great days but i drank too much back then, i just about managed to pull my self together in the nick of time, seanie

Ah yes, the good old Elbow Room.

Had a number of good nights/mornings in there myself. Never used to frequent M&B pubs that often, couldn't stand their beer (I worked at Ansells at Aston Cross), but frequented it once Oakham Brewery reopened it and was serving Thai food there....... excellent!

the good old barton arms, laurel and hardy went in there when at the hipp, i worked on the newtown shopping centre as a brickies labourer, my mate used to see me in the morning shovelling the compo laughing his head off, i learnt to drive a dumper there, not long after i was driving my first car (in second gear) the first of many old bangers ,,
you can say from the bartons to the elbow room, via the lozells working mans club and the lion rangers football club upstairs in the holt great days but i drank too much back then, i just about managed to pull my self together in the nick of time, seanie
Your post takes me back seanie, some great times in the Elbow, my grandad was chairman at the Lozells club, and by the time I discovered Lion Rangers they were based at the Red Lion in Erdington, the pub being run by Colin McCormack and his wife Glo.
Proper Brummie boozer, inhabited by a fair few local villians but ok if you knew them.

Had a number of good nights/mornings in there myself. Never used to frequent M&B pubs that often, couldn't stand their beer (I worked at Ansells at Aston Cross), but frequented it once Oakham Brewery reopened it and was serving Thai food there....... excellent!
Used to love the smell at our house when Ansells and the old Atkinsons brewery were brewing and the wind was in the right direction.
Not so good from the HP sauce factory though.

Used to love the smell at our house when Ansells and the old Atkinsons brewery were brewing and the wind was in the right direction.
Not so good from the HP sauce factory though.

Yeah, crossing the road to go into the Golden Cross at lunchtime, if the wind was blowing the wrong direction, the mix of malt, hops and the molasses etc from HP was enough to make you feel sick sometimes.

i had a few mates work at ansells, one of the best jobs about. and love to play against them at the ansells ground,,, sadly one of my old schoolmates chris murray worked there and i have tried to contact him through the years without success, they always had a good team, denis kennedy, the cronins, mick o gorman with a few old pros as well...and the bull down pritchard st newtown row,, was to die for,,seanie

i had a few mates work at ansells, one of the best jobs about. and love to play against them at the ansells ground,,, sadly one of my old schoolmates chris murray worked there and i have tried to contact him through the years without success, they always had a good team, denis kennedy, the cronins, mick o gorman with a few old pros as well...and the bull down pritchard st newtown row,, was to die for,,seanie
I played against Ansells and was given the almost impossible task,( for me) of marking Jimmy McEwan. Also remember playing against the Cronins.