NUFC v West Ham | Page 2 | Vital Football

NUFC v West Ham

Penalty was given and not the only reason for the defeat. The defence was shambolic We will need more than Willock, a couple of decent defenders would be a start

So, based on that performance I can see yet another struggle for this season. Only one signing, Defending was at times abysmal. As for the penalty, it was saved. It was the events after when Soucek strolled through for the rebound that stuck in the craw.

Completely as expected, another long, long season with no ambition other than to finish 17th. Rinse amd repeat and still 50,000 knackers turn up to watch.

I was travelling back from Devon so missed the game I guess I will watch MOD to see what happened sounds like we rather blew it.

Did they use VAR for the the penalty decision or was it Atkinson's take on it? West Ham's first goal was given, and rightly so by VAR.

Did they use VAR for the the penalty decision or was it Atkinson's take on it? West Ham's first goal was given, and rightly so by VAR.

It went to VAR

The sky pundits were fairly scathing that it hadn't been overturned and suggested that if Atkinson had looked at the monitors there's no way he could have given it

Murphy clearly played the ball

It went to VAR

The sky pundits were fairly scathing that it hadn't been overturned and suggested that if Atkinson had looked at the monitors there's no way he could have given it

Murphy clearly played the ball
That was my interpretation at the time Mc, not saying it would have changed the result but it was a sickener when the penalty was given.

On reflection that could have been any result from a 6-5 win to a 7-2 defeat.

Maybe playing in front of a crowd 'excited' a few on the pitch although watching on TV it sounded like a library aside from a few chants from the West Ham fans bragging about sucking off Micheal Jackson's monkey or something.

As it was, it was end to end until the penalty that shouldn't have been given before we got exposed chasing the game to gift them that 4th. If I want to be extra skeptical about the reffing then id say the West Ham players were encroaching for the penalty rebound.

Overall there was a few positives and plenty of questions over some of the selections. Moreso the likes of Kraft being picked in the centre three when we had Schar and Lascelles on the bench. This game also exposed both Ritchie and Shelvey for slow brains or laziness. Take your pick.

Going forward I reckon when Willock's in we will see Saint-Maximin further forward so shouldn't be dallying in the areas he was today.

Lacking pace and organisation defensively with a young inexperienced keeper who stays routed to his line. Ritchie is not a full back and Kraft is poor. Not much in the squad to improve the defence, maybe Lascelles or Lewis. Willock in place of Shelvey will be a plus and give us mobility in midfield plus another goal threat. The problem is any injuries in attack, ASM, Wilson and we are up the creek without a paddle. U23,s without a coach and U18's losing 8-3 offer little hope. Another season as expected.

Harsh penalty changed the game simple as that. We got exposed for the 4th which may not have happened had the pen not been given. We shall never know. I thought it was entertaining from what I saw on MOD and the ref was shit.