Where Will We Finish Season 21/22 | Page 12 | Vital Football

Where Will We Finish Season 21/22

We go into the new season with our strongest squad for many seasons. So where will we finish.

• Champions

• 2nd - 4th

• 5th - 8th

• 9th - 12th

• Below 12th

• Relegated

Results are only viewable after voting.
I must admit, I've found the predictions of 5th-8th to be naive at best and stupid at worst. I think some people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

I've had a word with Mystic Mug, he says 7th and some silverware, he keeps polishing his balls but still can't see clearly if it is the holy grail of the FA Cup or us adding to our tally of League Cups.

It is unlikely that Buendia and Bailey, arguably our two best players will be available for the start of the season (hopefully I am wrong). Therefore should we get off to a good start with our 'squad' players, and our two new talents to come in later, that will bode very well for the season.

I predict that we'll finish somewhere between 1st and 20th, mainly because it's all guesswork at this stage.

Ings equals goals, other players will benefit from having another year in the PL and we've got some interesting youngsters coming through (and they may surprise us). I think we've strengthened in other areas and if we get some momentum, we can push on. But it's all speculation on my part and can be likened to the journalistic bulldung that links us with every player from every other club. You won't change my mind at this stage and I respect that others have a slightly more cautious approach/view. I'm predicting a points ceiling of 60-64 and that will definitely be finishing top half, but how high it gets us is reliant on other teams performances as well.

I must admit, I've found the predictions of 5th-8th to be naive at best and stupid at worst. I think some people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

I saw a chart on Insta which showed from top to bottom (I.e. 20th) where fans thought teams would finish. The average predicted position for us was 7.5, which is in line with this poll. Citeh we’re top at something like 1.2, followed by Liverpool and United (around 2).

The lowest predicted side was Watford who I think had an average finish of around 17.

Perhaps a bit crude, but the conclusion I took from it is that fans are on average around 15% incorrect as someone has to finish 20th.

I saw a chart on Insta which showed from top to bottom (I.e. 20th) where fans thought teams would finish. The average predicted position for us was 7.5, which is in line with this poll. Citeh we’re top at something like 1.2, followed by Liverpool and United (around 2).

The lowest predicted side was Watford who I think had an average finish of around 17.

Perhaps a bit crude, but the conclusion I took from it is that fans are on average around 15% incorrect as someone has to finish 20th.
How ridiculous, it's just impossible to finish in 7.5 place :lol:.

I'd take it as people are seeing us on an upward curve, but 7.5 plus or minus 2 places as a margin for error is probably not far from expectations.

How ridiculous, it's just impossible to finish in 7.5 place :lol:.

I'd take it as people are seeing us on an upward curve, but 7.5 plus or minus 2 places as a margin for error is probably not far from expectations.

It’s an average, so that’s how you get decimals. If you find those sorts of things interesting - which I do - then it does show that fans overestimate.

It suits my predicted 9th down to the ground so stop arguing with the logic :grinning: Of course life and sport especially aren’t as linear as that but you get the drift

FA Cup would be nice but would settle for either as long as we beat Abu Dhabi FC in the final

I think we have enough depth in the squad for the cups to be not only possible but a useful outlet for our players. I'm optimistic about this season without quite knowing why.

I did have a quick scan through the current PL teams and there were nine teams I think we've a good chance of finishing above, so should do at least as well as last year. Overhaul 3 of the other 10 teams and we'll be in 8th. Leeds, Arsenal, Everton, Spurs and West Ham are probably our chief rivals; if 3 of those stutter we'd do it.

Wouldn't surprise me for Liverpool and Man U to be competing for the top spot, with Man C fading a bit. Leicester will have another crack at top 4. Chelsea could be well up there.

As things stand I'd shoot for around 12th with the current squad. Should (and hopefully) we spend another £50m-£70m+ I think we could challenge for top 8.

I know a lot of people lauded Purslows' speech but I couldn't help but get a little paranoid about how he was linking the existing business to the Grealish sale. Hopefully he's just playing his cards close to his chest which would be the smart thing to do. Time will however tell.
I think Purslow was actually being very smart, it sent the message to selling clubs and agents that we're not going to be held to ransom and aren't desperate to spend the funds on replacement players. By saying that we'd already bought the replacements with Ings, Buendia and Bailey it tells the football world that Villa aren't going to spend over the odds.

I think the Premier League has changed a bit over the past 2-3 years.

The days of the Big 6 are over. Spurs and Arsenal have been sucked back into the group behind them.

There's now a big 4. United, City, Liverpool and Chelsea, and after that it's all up for grabs. They'll be 7 or 8 teams thinking they can get 5th, and we'll be one of them.

I think the Premier League has changed a bit over the past 2-3 years.

The days of the Big 6 are over. Spurs and Arsenal have been sucked back into the group behind them.

There's now a big 4. United, City, Liverpool and Chelsea, and after that it's all up for grabs. They'll be 7 or 8 teams thinking they can get 5th, and we'll be one of them.

Don't agree about Spurs. Think they are being written off to early. They still in the main have players in the main with better pedigree and are still buying at a different level as per the signing of Romero and the 'maybe' signing of Martinez .

Don't agree about Spurs. Think they are being written off to early. They still in the main have players in the main with better pedigree and are still buying at a different level as per the signing of Romero and the 'maybe' signing of Martinez .
Yep as much as we like to kid ourselves players prefer them to us and London to Birmingham which has a very negative image, it's all about perception for Foreign players and indeed British ones.

Right, thought I'd bump this thread after the "doom and gloom" of the first couple of games and the "high as a kite" after last weekend's result.

Last season:
After 6 games 12pts
After 10 games 18pts
Half way 32pts - lost 7
Second half 23pts - lost 8
After 38 games 55pts

Form dipped after Xmas but mainly due to number of draws

So far this season:
After 6 games 10pts

we've therefore drawn 1 more game than at this stage last season. Our next 4 games: Spurs, Wolves, Arsenal, West Ham - difficult series of games but should inform us where we are as a team and whether our end of season predictions will stand up.