Managerial merry go round | Page 27 | Vital Football

Managerial merry go round

I think it's a leftfield appointment if he gets the job. He may prove to be a decent manager in future but what has he achieved so far? Two bottom-half finishes in League One (in just short of two seasons) despite a substantial budget and earning an unfortunate reputation for a less than competent passing game. It has been a revolving door there too, with a huge turnover of players every transfer window. I can see nothing so far to suggest he is the man to take Swansea back to the Premier League, but what do I know? I wish him luck because I like him.

Sadly, he was subjected to much abuse from his own fans during the game at Bournemouth today after a poorly timed tweet from Pete O'Rourke apparently confirmed his appointment. He went straight down the tunnel at full time.

MK Dons fans getting upset about a manager upping and leaving them for a better offer? I’m sure The Culture Club had a song about that?

This is the story of the League one Pre Season and it could not happen to a nicer club. Most of the main commentators have Mk Dons in the top six this year and it must be annoying for the fans that the club have financed a new team and the manager who has been supported in that is going to jump ship!

Here is the highlight from their forum, Concrete roundabout:
"Straight down the tunnel? First time he's done anything direct!"

He'll fit in at Swansea, believe one of the main complaints about Cooper and his style of football was they knocked it about with no end product a lot of time.

Genuinely think this is a good thing for us and mk dons will be worse now than with him. I know that game when they played loads of suicidal balls out the back was a bit comical but it reminded me a tiny bit of us when Mapp took over initially. People also forget that after we won 4-0 or whatever it was, they won at the weekend with a shitload of the ball. I also think he came across well and knowledgeable on the telly, which isn't everything but he clearly knew a lot about us and our players which is more than some!

Look how we struggled after the Cowleys jumped ship, think it affected the recently arrived loan players most from memory, they were sold a project which ended barely a week later.

Look how we struggled after the Cowleys jumped ship, think it affected the recently arrived loan players most from memory, they were sold a project which ended barely a week later.

Yep our results immediately before and after Cowley left were awful, and didn't really take off for the remainder of the season (which was cancelled early, mercifully). Our best players that season however were Morrell and Walker, both loans.

I'm afraid I remain totally unconvinced by Martin and his supposed classy style of play. All he tried to do was play out from the back, as a lot of teams are trying to do now and not in the unique fashion he tried to claim. After almost two years in the job, they were still woeful at doing it and that is despite the majority of players having been signed by him. They were at it again at the weekend - at least three, and maybe four, of the goals they conceded at Bournemouth came from incompetent passing out from defence - have a good laugh at this:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12369221/bournemouth-5-0-mk-dons

I'm afraid I remain totally unconvinced by Martin and his supposed classy style of play. All he tried to do was play out from the back, as a lot of teams are trying to do now and not in the unique fashion he tried to claim. After almost two years in the job, they were still woeful at doing it and that is despite the majority of players having been signed by him. They were at it again at the weekend - at least three, and maybe four, of the goals they conceded at Bournemouth came from incompetent passing out from defence - have a good laugh at this:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12369221/bournemouth-5-0-mk-dons
I concur.

A masterclass in how not to pee about at the back

A masterclass in how not to pee about at the back
You'd write off the keeper playing an awful ball like that for the third, but then to do exactly the same again for the fourth...
First and fifth goals weren't great from an MK perspective either, losing the ball in their own half.