Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 86 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

The trialist they brought on last night looked to be a decent option. Think it was the lad from Tranmere that was being mentioned. He looked a little bit rough around the edges but was very powerful and direct.

That was Blackett Taylor from Transmere who were were rumoured to be signing around the same time as Humphrys.

Its gone very quiet of late players coming in ,are we running out of OPTIONS i wonder,or finding it harder to get players to come here

It's not about running out of options, but there is lots of competition for good players and transfer chains going on. It always takes time to get good players in.

Bailey Wright played for Sunderland last night in their friendly. Their fans chanted 'we want you to stay'.

So clearly the deal isn't that close at the moment if they are still using him.

Not surprising as it would be suicide for them to sell him until they've got some other defenders in - especially as we are their first opponents. I think if this deal happens it most likely wont be until after we play them.

Bailey Wright played for Sunderland last night in their friendly. Their fans chanted 'we want you to stay'.

So clearly the deal isn't that close at the moment if they are still using him.

Not surprising as it would be suicide for them to sell him until they've got some other defenders in - especially as we are their first opponents. I think if this deal happens it most likely wont be until after we play them.

Agree. Sunderland fans that I speak to regularly would be far more upset about losing Bailey Wright than losing Charlie Wyke. They say that a fit Bailey Wright is their best defender.....as well as being a "leader on the pitch and in the dressing room".

A fit Bailey Wright is a Championship standard CB.

Hopefully we can get a deal done for BW after we play them.

Last edited:
That was Blackett Taylor from Transmere who were were rumoured to be signing around the same time as Humphrys.

Like I said, he looked a little rough around the edges but could be polished up into a decent player. Liked the look of him with his powerful running at defenders, they hate players like that and could cause a lot of problems for L1 standard defenders.

Like I said, he looked a little rough around the edges but could be polished up into a decent player. Liked the look of him with his powerful running at defenders, they hate players like that and could cause a lot of problems for L1 standard defenders.
Hopefully we play the style of football in the league that allows players to run at defenders. We have signed one of the best strikers in the league in Charlie Wyke and it will be a salary pissed against the wall if we starve him of support and service from a wide man. This has happened once too often with strikers at Latics with this obsession of passing out from the back and passing the ball around for passings sake. Hopefully this season will be the end of this type of football and we get back to an high pressing positive type of game.

My first post .....so don't be too harsh. I totally agree 100%. Hope I'm completely wrong, but from what I've seen in the friendlies at AFC Fylde and at home to Stoke, I would not be surprised at all if Steve Humphreys and possibly Callum Lang, both end up scoring more goals for us this season than Wyke.

I work as an artic driver, who regularly delivers and collects from Sunderland and the surrounding area, and every single Sunderland fan that I speak to has said more or less the same thing. "He's not actually a very good footballer", "no pace, can't run in behind", "hasn't got the skill or ability to beat a player", "he'll never curl one into the top corner from 25yds", "without good service and good crosses he won't score more than 10 goals for you lot next season", "very one dimensional" etc etc ....they genuinely aren't that bothered that he's left and joined us.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but from what I've seen so far in the friendlies...the Sunderland fans could be right. Steve Humphreys looks a better all-round striker.....much sharper, and a better team player.....as does our own Callum Lang.

Just hope we can get a couple of good wingers in quickly......or else Charlie Wyke could end up looking like the Millenium Dome.....an expensive mistake!

Welcome to the board Ashtonlatic.

I know exactly where you are coming from, but I don't think we would've signed Wyke under any false pretense of what type of player he is.

As you said we know we wont get get much out of him unless you give him service. But if we play to his strengths we will have a 20+ striker. He's a bit like Grigg, not a particularly good footballer but a good goal scoerer at this level and offers very little unless you are creating the chances for him to finish as he's never going to create his own chances - they are just poachers.

There is no doubt Humphrys is a better athlete and has more strings to his bow as a player - he is all action dropping deep to get involved in the play and shooting from everywhere but he's not so much a fox in the box. If you are firing loads of crosses into the box i don't think Humphrys is as likely to convert as many of them as Wyke.

They pose completely different types of threats which is good as it gives us options to change the game. I think both players can be successful for us if we use them correctly - it's just down to our manager and players to give Wyke what he needs.

Hull play them tomorrow night, Hull have told their fans that as they only got an allocation late, tickets have to be collected from the KC and none will be available for collection at the away end with no pay-on-day facility either. No idea what this means for us, but does at least seem that away fans are being allowed at the SoL

No idea if they are credible or not but there are rumours that Watford may be interested in McGrath and Wright may head back to Australia.

Leam

“I know, Mal (Brannigan) knows, the board knows, we need six or seven more bodies in..." #wafc https://t.co/IhKnjBYRQF

We've got 5 loans available, so at least 2 more permanent signings.

My guess would be:
2 centre halves
1 right back
1 central mid
1 attacking mid
1 winger
+ Another winger or back up striker

I would hope we'd get a couple in before Sunderland but i think we'll do a lot of business on deadline day as you find lots of players become available and clubs stop playing cat and mouse.

There are still some decent free's available, but i'm thinking if we were really keen on anyone who is available we may have already done it.

The likes of Kipre and Williams may become available to loan if they don't break into the first team plans closer to deadline day. So we are probably trying to not jump the gun and use up all our squad space in advance so we can make sure we have room to add players that aren't on the market yet.

Last edited:
I fail to see what’s difficult in Sunderland printing a load of tickets and posting them to the relevant club for sale. The fixture and lifting of restrictions has been known about for weeks. It’s shambolic to be perfectly honest expecting fans to waste time and money travelling to a stadium to buy them because they can’t print them in a timely manner. I hope they’ll be reducing the price for such amateur behaviour. God help them if they ever found themselves in administration and lost staff.