Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 83 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Why is it a big blow? None of us know if he’s any good. Let’s see how he does for Wimbledon and then we’ll know if it’s a big blow or not. He won’t be anywhere near the level Reece was
If you play for Chelsea youth you’re a bloody good player, especially at League One level. End of story.

Now linked with another ex Sunderland player. Do we actually have any scouts, or are we just trying to sign everyone Max Power recommends?

Definitely been very slow on transfers considering we need 6-7 players according to Leam. Hopefully we are not flirting with players and missing out. We really need to see some movement. Hopefully not too light at the back for Sunderland, and I do think the players we are linked with are paper talk. Does seem like one dimensional scouting with the same clubs associated. Will see.

Definitely been very slow on transfers considering we need 6-7 players according to Leam. Hopefully we are not flirting with players and missing out. We really need to see some movement. Hopefully not too light at the back for Sunderland, and I do think the players we are linked with are paper talk. Does seem like one dimensional scouting with the same clubs associated. Will see.

I think most clubs at this level are in the same situation as most of them will be waiting for the players they want to become available.

Prem clubs will soon start to make decisions on which fringe or young players can go to the Championship on loan, and that in turn will free up a number of players from the Championship to drop into L1. I imagine every club at this level has players they are waiting to become available that are in a transfer chain.

He was very good at Brisol, he's not in the exceptional class of James or Mount but still highly regarded. He has lots of potential and I think will likely end up a Championship player down the line. Really surprised he ended up at Wimbledon.
Whilst I don't doubt he'd have been a good player, I'm not disappointed that he's gone elsewhere. I don't like loans as a rule, for a couple of reasons:

1. They often have clauses in their contacts that means they have to play a % of games if they're fit. That takes away opportunities from our own players to get a game. Whilst there's a chance that we'd get a world beater like Reece James, we could equally get a Dujon Sterling or Callum Conolly who then clog up the squad with mediocrity. Not a gamble worth taking unless we literally don't have anyone of our own imho.

2. We're giving game time to develop players for other clubs. I'd rather be giving that time to our own youngsters or squad players if we have cover. If we want to be financially sustainable, then developing (and selling: sadly a reality for a club our size) our own talent. Adding value to Chelsea's squad doesn't help us long term.

Don't get me wrong, watching Reece James play in a Latics shirt was a privilege (as was Antonee Robinson), but for every Reece James or Robinson, there's a dozen lads who are no better than our own academy lads who get loaned out by big clubs, and the muscle of their big club owners gets them games they really don't deserve.

If Duhaney is still available on a free, I'd be much happier signing him. At 22, he's got plenty scope to grow as a player and has already played Premiership football. Huddersfield were poor, but they were still in the Premier League and by all accounts he didn't look out of his depth at that level.

Link to Jordan Jones from Rangers now looking realistic. Another one I'm not overly keen on tbh. He fell out of favour at Rangers not for footballing reasons, but because he went to a party when they had Covid restrictions in place.

To me, the impression that gives is that he likes to party enough to break the law to do it. It's not some moral judgement I'm making, but a practical one. If someone likes to go to parties so much that they break the law to do so (as a professional footballer for a big club, so very easily recognisable in the area), then it raises some serious questions about either his intelligence, his professionalism or both.

That's really not the kind of player I would prefer us to be looking to sign. It's for management to decide, and we have to trust their judgement if / when they talk to the lad, but personally, I'd be giving him a wide berth.

Dujon Sterling is a good player, who had bad luck here with injuries and would be one of the first names on the team sheet in this squad in L1. I assume he’s still at Chelsea otherwise I’d take him back in a heartbeat. Chelsea players are always good, you don’t play for their academy if you aren’t a serious talent. We clearly wanted this Lawrence and have missed out so dress it up all you want, it’s a big blow as I can’t see us finding anyone better.

Darikwa is not good enough to be starting 40+ games for a promotion chasing team. He won’t get the assists we need and has historical injury problems.

Dujon Sterling is a good player, who had bad luck here with injuries and would be one of the first names on the team sheet in this squad in L1. I assume he’s still at Chelsea otherwise I’d take him back in a heartbeat. Chelsea players are always good, you don’t play for their academy if you aren’t a serious talent. We clearly wanted this Lawrence and have missed out so dress it up all you want, it’s a big blow as I can’t see us finding anyone better.

Darikwa is not good enough to be starting 40+ games for a promotion chasing team. He won’t get the assists we need and has historical injury problems.
I'm not dressing anything up. I don't want loanees unless they're an absolute last resort or only brought in for cover in a position where we have literally no-one else on our own books.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Dujon Sterling. I thought he was poor with a capital P, even when he was purportedly fit.

I do like Darikwa and I think he's every bit good enough to play in our first 11; I accept that he can be injury prone though, so quality cover is definitely needed. Duhaney is (hopefully still...) training with us and I'd take him on a free over any loanee.

If someone likes to go to parties so much that they break the law to do so (as a professional footballer for a big club, so very easily recognisable in the area), then it raises some serious questions about either his intelligence, his professionalism or both.
To be fair they are paid to run and kick a ball, the smart ones are a minority. I'm not sure I'd look too much into it at the moment (as much as I dislike it).

To be fair they are paid to run and kick a ball, the smart ones are a minority. I'm not sure I'd look too much into it at the moment (as much as I dislike it).
That's a fair comment on intelligence... but I'd stand by that if it's a problem with professionalism / attitude, it is cause for concern... worth the club looking into before they commit to signing someone at the least.

Respect to the young lads, but we're trying to get promoted pal, not stay in the division.
Promotion would be brilliant ..... and I reckon Robinson could play his part in helping us do that.

Who's to say that Lloyd wouldn't be a decent replacement too. I'm certainly not going to disregard him after seeing him for less than a half.

Wigan Athletic are reportedly eyeing up a move for Rangers winger Jordan Jones. Here, we take a closer look at what a deal could involve.

What is Jordan Jones’ price tag?

As per Transfermarkt, the Redcar-born winger is valued at £540,000.

His highest previous valuation on the site was £675,000 but as Rangers signed him on a free transfer in 2019, they will be making a profit as long as he leaves for some sort of fee.

What is his reported salary?

As of 2020, Jones is on a wage of £9,100-a-week at Ibrox, netting him £473,200-a-year (SalarySport).

What would he bring to Wigan Athletic?

As a right-footed player often operating on the left-wing, Jones is a threat when cutting in, be it to shoot or pick out an opponent.

The Northern Irish winger can operate on the opposite side and has featured in attacking midfield, too.

His dribbling and ability on the ball can make him a difficult task for defenders to deal with, while his eye for a cross can cause problems for central defenders.
Very handy if we are going to play with wingers. Seems a long time since Yanic graced the wing. Could we eventually be starting to play to entertain as well as set up to win games?

Very handy if we are going to play with wingers. Seems a long time since Yanic graced the wing. Could we eventually be starting to play to entertain as well as set up to win games?

No point buying someone like Wyke if we aren't going to put loads of crosses in, so i think we'll definitely want some good wingers.

Kieran Lloyd came on for Darikwa at Fylde, and just like Robinson last season, he didn't look out of place.

The fact we were in for Lawrence and had Duhaney on trial suggested we didn't think Llyod was ready for the first team, but if he can impress in the friendlies then they'll probably not bother bringing anyone else in and go with him.

Did Lloyd manage to get forward and put any balls in? With Wyke needing crosses and the system we play with the fullbacks often providing the width we are probably looking for attack minded full backs who can get crosses in.

Did Lloyd manage to get forward and put any balls in? With Wyke needing crosses and the system we play with the fullbacks often providing the width we are probably looking for attack minded full backs who can get crosses in.

Yeah he got forward quite well ......he had Lang in front of him though, and Humphreys had replaced Wyke, so crosses into the box didn't seem to be the main aim ........ rather, they tried to play someone in behind the line.