The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 43 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

We don't use him as a DM. He's a double pivot with McGinn. 2 x #8s

McGinn and him just don’t work well together, they both have proven they need a DM to allow them to get forward, Could possibly work in a 4,3,3 together, but I wouldn’t put them in a 4.2.3.1 again just doesn’t work, that formation requires a DM.

Yeah I was gonna say that Platypus. I thought McGinn and Luiz worked brilliantly when Jack was in the team. It was when we lost Jack their form seemed to dip... but then so did everyones.

Jack makes a massive difference to us.

Yeah I was gonna say that Platypus. I thought McGinn and Luiz worked brilliantly when Jack was in the team. It was when we lost Jack their form seemed to dip... but then so did everyones.

Jack makes a massive difference to us.
Jack and also having a no.10 who is worth having on the pitch. McGinn and Luiz were having to pick up Barkley's slack going forward and defensively when he visibly quit football and, gasp, we were left exposed at points. Even with Ramsey on, his inexperience meant we were light in the middle of the park for most of last year.

Apart from early on last season during our best performances where it worked brilliantly of course.

Probably because teams didn’t expect a team that just survived relegation by the skin of their teeth to perform as such.
Most of our season without Nakamba we was absolutely shit through the middle.

Big reason why Nakamba played a third of last season in the big games, Deano thought he could be a bit more attacking with Luiz just didn’t work and we lost against too many shit teams, where I think having a DM we would of won.

I'm a big Nakamba fan but I do also rate Luiz as a player. I just dont see us finding a formation to suit the 3 midfielders of Luiz, Nakamba and Mcginn. Not unless we trial Luiz at 10 but then you're dropping 1 of Grealish, Bert or Buendia and I dont see that happening...

I'm a big Nakamba fan but I do also rate Luiz as a player. I just dont see us finding a formation to suit the 3 midfielders of Luiz, Nakamba and Mcginn. Not unless we trial Luiz at 10 but then you're dropping 1 of Grealish, Bert or Buendia and I dont see that happening...

The only way all three would work is if they played in the middle of a 4,3,3 but you’d have to drop Bert.

I rate Luiz just not as a DM he plays a lot better with Nakamba too.

The only way all three would work is if they played in the middle of a 4,3,3 but you’d have to drop Bert.

I rate Luiz just not as a DM he plays a lot better with Nakamba too.

Agreed, Nakamba I feel an unfair share of stick on here at times. Yes sometimes he is sloppy on the ball but he's improving every time I see him. And like you said, he does allow players to get forward like the likes of Luiz etc who does a lot better when he's allowed the freedom to move forward and find a pass.

Probably because teams didn’t expect a team that just survived relegation by the skin of their teeth to perform as such.
Most of our season without Nakamba we was absolutely shit through the middle.

Big reason why Nakamba played a third of last season in the big games, Deano thought he could be a bit more attacking with Luiz just didn’t work and we lost against too many shit teams, where I think having a DM we would of won.
Ah right, so we imagined the performances against Liverpool, Leicester and Arsenal and they just played down to us? You are Alex Ferguson and I claim my £5.

Agreed, Nakamba I feel an unfair share of stick on here at times. Yes sometimes he is sloppy on the ball but he's improving every time I see him. And like you said, he does allow players to get forward like the likes of Luiz etc who does a lot better when he's allowed the freedom to move forward and find a pass.

I’d like to see Luiz more forward, I actually reckon he would link up well with Buendia, he does like to give one two and go up the pitch but rarely gets that chance to push forward.

Those games everyone worked incredibly hard, I think the average pass rate was something ridiculous like 50% success, we just pressurised as a team and made them make mistakes, Liverpool was the perfect storm, everyone even Barkley played an absolute blinder.

Let’s not play down the fact Deano knew it wasn’t working at the end of the season and teams had sussed us, every hard game we had at the end he preferred Nakamba that’s a fact mate, Beating Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal when we was on a shit run just proved how vital Nakamba was, he was picking up MOTM awards by all of us a few times.

He’s not even one of my favourite players and I’d much prefer someone like Anguissa who is a more all rounded better player, but Luiz isn’t no DM.

I guess you don’t remember the couple of fuck ups that led to a goal and the ball watching around our box when the balls rolling in front of him and they score from it, the silly red card/pen give away because he pulls with his arms.

He was trying to do a DM job just wasn’t working, you’ve got Preece and others saying literally McGinn is being held back because he’s having to do a defensive job with Luiz, An when Nakamba’s in the side we see the old MCGinn.

Sorry pal I’ll have to agree to disagree, that’s what’s good about forums we aren’t all going to see things eye to eye, everyone has a different opinions, but we’re all Villa fans.
I'm just frankly astounded that your response is that those performances - and one performance in particular some were saying was the best they'd witnessed since the 70s weren't good actually. That those performances in midfield were a fluke? Sure, that's defensible. But that the opposition didn't try as hard against us because they thought we'd be shit? I'm not letting that slide. Did you say that at the time?

I'm just frankly astounded that your response is that those performances - and one performance in particular some were saying was the best they'd witnessed since the 70s weren't good actually. That those performances in midfield were a fluke? Sure, that's defensible. But that the opposition didn't try as hard against us because they thought we'd be shit? I'm not letting that slide. Did you say that at the time?

Not just because of that, we played absolutely fantastic, there was several things that came together that created some of those results mate.

Happy for you to DM me and we speak about this more could go on for a while 👍

Not just because of that, we played absolutely fantastic, there was several things that came together that created some of those results mate.

Good idea.

Or start a new thread about how we were lucky to play so well last season lol.

You're alright mate, it's not that important really. We may never agree and then what will we have done with our lives?

I think it's almost moot until the end of the window, I wouldn't be too surprised if we wound up with better options than our current central midfielders.