Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 82 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

That’s pretty disappointing then…….after our efforts with Reece I thought his move was more or less nailed on!

We're being linked with Jordan Jones a winger from Rangers. On loan at Sunderland last season who we apparently watched.

I can't get any links to work 🤔.

Never heard of him previously but just had a look at him.

26 year old Northern Ireland international winger who is primarily a right footed left winger but can plays on either side. He impressed at Kilmarnock to get a move to Rangers but seems to have never settled there and hardly played. He is very fast and likes to run at players. Seems like he likes to cut inside and shoot, looks to have good delivery and a shot on him.

Went on loan to Sunderland in January last season and seemed to do quite well got 3 goals and 4 assists in 12 starts (21 appearances) in L1. Plus 1 goal in 2 starts (4 appearances for Rangers) and 1 goal in 2 starts for Northern Ireland.

Sunderland local press did a poll saying should they sign him permanently at the end of his loan 55% said yes.

Clips of him at Kilmarnock prior to joining Rangers below.

He's number 27 in these Sunderland clips

His corner assist for Wykes for 1st goal, chips the keeper for the second

He scores Sunderland first with curling shot from outside the box

Huts bar with header and first time volley for the opening goal

Looks a very decent player surprised Sunderland didn't keep him. But I did see a Sunderland fan say he didn't get on with Johnson. I like the look of him - hope we get him.

Chelsea youngster Henry Lawrence is set to complete a loan move to AFC Wimbledon tomorrow.

It will initially be a six month loan but likely be extended in January.

He had offers from Wigan and other teams in the Championship but he will get good playing time at the Dons. #CFC⁹

That's really disappointing, I knew Wimbledon were chasing him before we were linked but it seemed like we pinched him. The lad looks a real prospect.

I wonder if the location played a big part, he'd not have to leave home to go to Wimbledon and it would be easier for Chelsea to keep tabs on him if he's in staying in the London area.

Also wonder if Wimbledon guarentee him a starting place while we said he'll be competing with an established pro in Darikwa.

That's really disappointing, I knew Wimbledon were chasing him before we were linked but it seemed like we pinched him. The lad looks a real prospect.

I wonder if the location played a big part, he'd not have to leave home to go to Wimbledon and it would be easier for Chelsea to keep tabs on him if he's in staying in the London area.

Also wonder if Wimbledon guarentee him a starting place while we said he'll be competing with an established pro in Darikwa.
I'm kinda foreign (lol) to this sort of deals but could it be a positional thing? Like, that he'd be more of a protagonist going forward playing as a winger in Wimbledon whereas here he'd be a RB?

McGrath missed the previous St Mirren games due to injury but came back today and scored a penalty. He is a penalty king.

So clearly nothing has moved forward since our bid was rejected.

Rotherham are close to agreeing a fee of about 300k with Kilmarnock for right wing back Shaun Rooney. He really stood out to me when I was looking at Kilmarnock clips to see what Kerr was like. He's only 24, big, strong, quick - dominant in the air and bombs forward from defence. If we arent getting Lawrence then I'd seriously be looking to hijack Rotherham move - I think he's going to do well down here a d have good resale value. I'm really surprised at that price no one in the Championship is in for him.

I'm kinda foreign (lol) to this sort of deals but could it be a positional thing? Like, that he'd be more of a protagonist going forward playing as a winger in Wimbledon whereas here he'd be a RB?

Maybe. The only indication of why Wimbledon over us I saw was 'he will get good playing time there' so sounds most likely Chelsea have got more assurances from the Wimbledon manager over a starting place for him. Maybe they even agreed to a clause like Liverpool often put in that their young players have to play a certain percentage of games.

Also only 6 month loan deal while I think we were after a year. So it seems like Chelsea have the idea to send him to Wimbledon start every week and impress Championship clubs and then send him to one of them and get starts at a higher level. Maybe we wanted him to stay throughout so we wouldnt have to worry about replacing him in January while Wimbledon happy to have first half of season.

Disappointed we won't see him at attacking the DW as I thought he looked a very exciting signing.

Last edited:
Big blow that. To be honest, it's been a disappointing last couple of weeks in terms of missing out on players. Season starts in less than two weeks, tick tock...

Big blow that. To be honest, it's been a disappointing last couple of weeks in terms of missing out on players. Season starts in less than two weeks, tick tock...

Long way to go yet, you'll only start to see loan movement with any kind of regularity now and the loan market will be ultra competitive this season with many teams not having funds for permanent transfers. I don't think many expected us to have built an entire squad by the opening day. TBH I'd be surprised if we had what Leam may consider to be a full squad by the end of January.

Wigan Athletic are reportedly eyeing up a move for Rangers winger Jordan Jones. Here, we take a closer look at what a deal could involve.

What is Jordan Jones’ price tag?

As per Transfermarkt, the Redcar-born winger is valued at £540,000.

His highest previous valuation on the site was £675,000 but as Rangers signed him on a free transfer in 2019, they will be making a profit as long as he leaves for some sort of fee.

What is his reported salary?

As of 2020, Jones is on a wage of £9,100-a-week at Ibrox, netting him £473,200-a-year (SalarySport).

What would he bring to Wigan Athletic?

As a right-footed player often operating on the left-wing, Jones is a threat when cutting in, be it to shoot or pick out an opponent.

The Northern Irish winger can operate on the opposite side and has featured in attacking midfield, too.

His dribbling and ability on the ball can make him a difficult task for defenders to deal with, while his eye for a cross can cause problems for central defenders.

Maybe. The only indication of why Wimbledon over us I saw was 'he will get good playing time there' so sounds most likely Chelsea have got more assurances from the Wimbledon manager over a starting place for him. Maybe they even agreed to a clause like Liverpool often put in that their young players have to play a certain percentage of games..

I think that may have played a large part in it - Lets not forget that whilst Latics were great for Chelsea & Reece James, 12 months later Dijon Sterling barely got a sniff (& rightly so if stories about his attitude are anything to go by) so it's clear that Latics will only play them if the managers thinks they're good enough so if the Dons have agreed to an appearance related loan deal or pretty much guaranteed he'll start every week then I get him going there
After some of the times Latics have had their fingers burnt by these guaranteed to start if fit deals, I'm glad if we no longer agree to them

WImbledon having a relationship with Chelsea (they sold their old ground to them) & being in the same/ish area may have played a part too meaning if injured he can easily get treatment from Chelsea's team & it's easier for him to train with Chelsea too if they wanna see how or if he's improving

I think that may have played a large part in it - Lets not forget that whilst Latics were great for Chelsea & Reece James, 12 months later Dijon Sterling barely got a sniff (& rightly so if stories about his attitude are anything to go by) so it's clear that Latics will only play them if the managers thinks they're good enough so if the Dons have agreed to an appearance related loan deal or pretty much guaranteed he'll start every week then I get him going there
After some of the times Latics have had their fingers burnt by these guaranteed to start if fit deals, I'm glad if we no longer agree to them

WImbledon having a relationship with Chelsea (they sold their old ground to them) & being in the same/ish area may have played a part too meaning if injured he can easily get treatment from Chelsea's team & it's easier for him to train with Chelsea too if they wanna see how or if he's improving

Another aspect of that is Wimbledon just signed one of Chelsea's best youngsters Luke McCormick, that deal seemed like it took a long time to do and involved some concessions over large sell on fees to secure him so they have just established a working relationship. So Chelsea probably are on good terms with them.

Wigan Athletic are reportedly eyeing up a move for Rangers winger Jordan Jones. Here, we take a closer look at what a deal could involve.

What is Jordan Jones’ price tag?

As per Transfermarkt, the Redcar-born winger is valued at £540,000.

His highest previous valuation on the site was £675,000 but as Rangers signed him on a free transfer in 2019, they will be making a profit as long as he leaves for some sort of fee.

What is his reported salary?

As of 2020, Jones is on a wage of £9,100-a-week at Ibrox, netting him £473,200-a-year (SalarySport).

What would he bring to Wigan Athletic?

As a right-footed player often operating on the left-wing, Jones is a threat when cutting in, be it to shoot or pick out an opponent.

The Northern Irish winger can operate on the opposite side and has featured in attacking midfield, too.

His dribbling and ability on the ball can make him a difficult task for defenders to deal with, while his eye for a cross can cause problems for central defenders.

Apparently Sunderland were told he is 250k to buy when he went on loan last season.

I can't see him being on 9k a week, as he came from Kilmarnock where he wouldn't have been on much, so i can't see Rangers needing to offer such a large pay rise to get him in the door when probably half of that would've been a huge increase. That site that claims to know wages seems to make it up as it goes half the time.

Another aspect of that is Wimbledon just signed one of Chelsea's best youngsters Luke McCormick, that deal seemed like it took a long time to do and involved some concessions over large sell on fees to secure him so they have just established a working relationship. So Chelsea probably are on good terms with them.
He wouldn’t have been one of their best youngsters if Chelsea were prepared to sell him. He was on loan at Bristol Rovers last season and I don’t remember him pulling up tress like Connor Gallagher did so likely he is one of their youth products who they felt wouldn’t make the step up like Reece and Mason Mount.

Why is it a big blow? None of us know if he’s any good. Let’s see how he does for Wimbledon and then we’ll know if it’s a big blow or not. He won’t be anywhere near the level Reece was

Apparently Sunderland were told he is 250k to buy when he went on loan last season.

I can't see him being on 9k a week, as he came from Kilmarnock where he wouldn't have been on much, so i can't see Rangers needing to offer such a large pay rise to get him in the door when probably half of that would've been a huge increase. That site that claims to know wages seems to make it up as it goes half the time.

It's being reported he is free to leave Rangers for a fee short of 1 million, which is proving a problem for Sunderland

It's being reported he is free to leave Rangers for a fee short of 1 million, which is proving a problem for Sunderland

Sunderland fans said it was 250k, no idea if it's true but getting 250k for him in the market would be a challenge. 1m they have zero chance.

He wouldn’t have been one of their best youngsters if Chelsea were prepared to sell him. He was on loan at Bristol Rovers last season and I don’t remember him pulling up tress like Connor Gallagher did so likely he is one of their youth products who they felt wouldn’t make the step up like Reece and Mason Mount.

He was very good at Brisol, he's not in the exceptional class of James or Mount but still highly regarded. He has lots of potential and I think will likely end up a Championship player down the line. Really surprised he ended up at Wimbledon.