The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 41 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

Totally get that, the whole team were immense, everyone closed down, even Trezeguet looked world class, an not for one minute am I saying Douglas is a bad player, in fact time and time again I’ve said he’s got the potential to be world class, one of the best in Europe, but he isn’t a DM, there wasn’t many moments where I thought thank fuck for Luiz because Mings really messed up there, when I remember Nakamba doing exactly that.

I’d play him next to a DM so he could get forward that’s where I see him.
he's not a DM he is better up the pitch as we saw flashes the season before with some nice goals and assists

Not wishing to poor oil on the fire but ultimately, where-ever he plays (positionally), he needs to lift his game or get left behind. We're at a turning point now where no-one should be assured of his place in the team. This is obviously good for Aston Villa and a very nice problem for Dean Smith to have and is down to a proper recruitment strategy and very good owners. We know Douglas can currently hold his own in the team, but if he is replaced by better and becomes an option from the bench or cover for injuries, it will mean that as a football club, we have come a very long way in a short time.

I feel we have a bit of a dilemma with Luiz, McGinn and Nakamba. Three different players but you are only ever going to play two of them. Naka is arguably the best defensive player, McGinn (on form) is the battling midfielder who can get forward and score goals, Luiz is technically probably the better footballer of the three but is neither fish nor foul.

I always think on paper we have a good midfield but on the pitch bar the odd game they don't really dominate any games and when we gat against the real top side they get overrun.
Long way to go yet and it remains clear if Dougie can up it a level, youth is on his side at the moment that's for sure

Fed up with reading this cliche ‘ gone backwards’ bollox . What does that even mean ?. Gone backwards to what ? .
I’ll answer that . It’s means nothing. The new ‘young and hungry’.
Poor form for a few games is not a player all of a sudden regressing . Modern fans eh.

I'm assuming he'll miss the start of the season as we'll be the ones giving him a holiday due to his involvement with Brazil in the Olympics?

I always think on paper we have a good midfield but on the pitch bar the odd game they don't really dominate any games and when we gat against the real top side they get overrun.
Long way to go yet and it remains clear if Dougie can up it a level, youth is on his side at the moment that's for sure

I think Douggie would instantly be a top player if he moved to a farmers league (France), or even a slower European league. We’ve all seen Gueye and Veretout go on to further their careers and I’ve no doubt Luiz would end up doing well in a very nice European city.

I am one of his biggest fans, but I want to see him progress this season. He wasn’t as influential on games as much as I’d have liked last season, but with 5 better players in front of him I think he’s the perfect deep lying play maker.

If we decided to bin off everyone who had a poor second half of last season we'd have a very thin squad. Its an even more ridiculous notion when you look at just how good he was after the restart where he, not Jack was our best player and did so much to keep us up in that midfield. Get him back to that and he's one of the best midfielders in the league.

Brazil last 7 games

1 start - subbed 60th minute played alongside Fabinho “Defensive Midfielder” in a 4,2,3,1 they drew that match against Ecuador, they were already through so it was a game of seeing how he performed.

The other was a 20min sub appearance against Paraguay, in a different comp which Brazil lead the word cup qualify over Argentina by 6 points.

He didn’t feature against Chile In the knockout round, they’re against Peru next in the semi final, it’ll be nice if he gets to feature in that one, and then it’s the final.

My guess is that he won’t be used at all, but it’s got to be good experience being in training with those lads.

My hope is that he’ll kick on and really get a chance/perform in the Olympics, it’s all experience at the end of the day that’ll make him better, playing under different coaches playing different roles.

My guess is that Nakamba will start the season with Luiz out on international and then he’ll come back and fight for a start.

I feel we have a bit of a dilemma with Luiz, McGinn and Nakamba. Three different players but you are only ever going to play two of them. Naka is arguably the best defensive player, McGinn (on form) is the battling midfielder who can get forward and score goals, Luiz is technically probably the better footballer of the three but is neither fish nor foul.

Spot on. I'm not writing him off or saying he's shit but he doesn't seem to fit neatly into those midfield positions. He has a big season coming up. Turning 23, he's not a kid anymore.

I think at this stage we need to look at all our central midfielders and see how we can directly improve and replace from the first team. Doesn't matter which one it is first, but we need to push on.

I think at this stage we need to look at all our central midfielders and see how we can directly improve and replace from the first team. Doesn't matter which one it is first, but we need to push on.
Yes we weren't in control of the games at all second half of the season, so there is room for improvement but with the exception of probably Martinez and Jack we could say that in every position as the target is top4 and CL , so despite what many think we need better players all round the pitch or the current lot have to man up to the challenge.
That Include Doug who seems to get most of the flack, he does Brazilian things good or bad, fancy back heels and cynical fouls, it's what they do. we just have to live with it

Spot on. I'm not writing him off or saying he's shit but he doesn't seem to fit neatly into those midfield positions. He has a big season coming up. Turning 23, he's not a kid anymore.

And he's also lost the 'will they won't buy me' uncertainty. Maybe top that with a contract extension and lets see how he goes then. My guess is a more settled player.