Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 78 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Just seen a poll on Twitter from Sunderland site saying 'would you consider letting Bailey Wright go to Wigan for a decent fee?'

Yes - 51.8%
No - 48.2%

Considering so many of them seemed to say how rubbish he was when the rumour broke it's interesting that nearly half of them wouldn't want to sell even if they got a good fee to replace him with.
This is one I can't see happening

Bailey Wright is on 13 grand a week at Sunderland so there is no way he will be coming to the DW.

I saw that number quoted and i really don't think it's true. That number seems to come from those web sites that claim they know all the players wages that are mostly guesses.

Wright only signed after the pandemic hit and Sunderland had to start cutting back their big spending so no way with the massive drop off in their revenue due to no crowds they'd be giving a new signing that type of money.

I think he's realistically more likely on something between a quarter and half of that, which will still be a very good wage at this level.

Johnson speaking to the local Sunderland press on Bailey Wright, link below.

Lee Johnson has this response to Bailey Wright speculation after Sunderland defender linked with Wigan | Shields Gazette

Sounds like the ownership want to move him on but Johnson wants to keep him. It seems like he is available.
Does anyone else find the ownership situation at Sunderland a little odd? They've been taken over by a billionaire who has promised to splash cash IF they get into the Championship but he's set them a very modest budget to get there. It almost seems that they (the owners) are taking it for granted that a club of their size will waltz out of this league despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Maybe there is some nuance that I've missed and I know they've put money into the club infrastructure but so did IEC and look how that ended up.

So perhaps Wright is weighing up the benefits of one more year on big money at Sunderland versus a three year contract on less money somewhere else?

Johnson speaking to the local Sunderland press on Bailey Wright, link below.

Lee Johnson has this response to Bailey Wright speculation after Sunderland defender linked with Wigan | Shields Gazette

Sounds like the ownership want to move him on but Johnson wants to keep him. It seems like he is available.

Not sure if he's worked with Wright elsewhere, but think at Bristol, he was always one of the first names on the teamsheet....Johnson properly rates him, can definitely see him not wanting Wright to leave

Not sure if he's worked with Wright elsewhere, but think at Bristol, he was always one of the first names on the teamsheet....Johnson properly rates him, can definitely see him not wanting Wright to leave

I read about that the other day, Johnson signed him for Bristol from Preston in a January window, for the rest of that season the the following one he was a regular and became club captain playing right back and centre back.

He missed the first part of the third season due to injury and the clubs seemed replaced him in his absence with better players, so for the remainder of that season he was in and out of the starting line up.

The first half of following season he barely featured for Bristol (not sure if he was injured or it was simply falling down the pecking order) and Johnson allowed him to move to Sunderland in January. After that his contract expired and he signed a permanent deal with Sunderland.

Johnson seems to hold him in high regard as a leader and character in the dressing room and even when he was replaced as a regular starter he retained club captaincy at Bristol. I imagine if he stays at Sunderland he'll possibly end up the captain for the coming season too. So i think if it was down to him alone he'd want to keep him, but it seems like the new ownership are less keen to keep him around.

Does anyone else find the ownership situation at Sunderland a little odd? They've been taken over by a billionaire who has promised to splash cash IF they get into the Championship but he's set them a very modest budget to get there. It almost seems that they (the owners) are taking it for granted that a club of their size will waltz out of this league despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Maybe there is some nuance that I've missed and I know they've put money into the club infrastructure but so did IEC and look how that ended up.

So perhaps Wright is weighing up the benefits of one more year on big money at Sunderland versus a three year contract on less money somewhere else?

I think maybe it's down to the fact over recent years the clubs has spent way over the odds in L1 in wages despite the revenue from being in the league being so low for so little return and the new ownership want to start balancing the books a bit and take a step towards becoming more sustainable.

When you look at what the likes of Peterborough, Blackpool did last season on a much smaller budget and what the likes of MK are doing in terms of recruitment this season - their owners are probably wondering why the clubs has been outspending so many of their rivals for no benefit. Even Sunderland's reduced budget will probably be one of the biggest in the league and i could see their owners saying 'we've given enough of budget to do well in L1 - if you do well and we get promoted then we'll talk about increasing it'.

The other thing to bare in mind with Wright is the number of players for whatever reason excel prior to moving to Sunderland or after they leave but struggle at the Stadium of Light.

Just last season players in Dobson, Embelton, Grigg all looked poor at Sunderland in the first half of last season and were sent out on loan to Wimbledon, Blackpool and MK. All did very well in the same division at different teams.

We know from experience that players perform drastically differently at different clubs, but it does seem Sunderland is one of those clubs where more players seem to have issues showing their best than most.

Curtis Tilt just tweeted about how good it was to be back on grass.
So must have had some medical procedure.
Could explain why we have not gone for him yet.
How about it being a similar situation with Viv, surgery then rehabilitation, we are seeing how this turns out.
It is what we would do if it were our football club.

Big worry once again the lad as had I injury. Was reading a report from a news paper reporter. Who says he is very slow. And lost a yard.
I read that at the end of last season he was running around as if he was riding a horse LMAO. I don't think it's fair to judge him from those performances alone.

How about it being a similar situation with Viv, surgery then rehabilitation, we are seeing how this turns out.

Yeah Tilt is out until at least October. On top of that he seems to be in Rotterham's plans and I don't see them just handing him to a promotion rival either ^^'

Last edited:
Just on Fraser, his stats are good but not earth shattering. He played something like 41 games, scored 16 and set up 6. Will Keane played around 30, scored 10 and set up 5. With better players around he could make a huge difference next season.

I also think we could see Massey back to his best. This is his first full (so far) pre season in 3 years, that will make a huge difference to his preparation for the season ahead.
This aged well :ROFLMAO:

According to the Rotherham manager Tilt is set to be out for a few months with a hamstring issue. So he probably won't be an option this window but I suspect if we still want him in January it could become an option.

£300k for a player with minimal experience (St. Mirren & Dundalk) is a huge gamble for me 😬
17 goals from midfield last season! He'll do just fine for me.

Good to see the club haven't been put off by missing out on Fraser and still want to sign a quality number 10. If we're serious though, we need to put the money down straight away (unless St Mirren are asking for above what we can afford) or we'll simply get gazumped once again.

17 goals from midfield last season! He'll do just fine for me.

Good to see the club haven't been put off by missing out on Fraser and still want to sign a quality number 10. If we're serious though, we need to put the money down straight away (unless St Mirren are asking for above what we can afford) or we'll simply get gazumped once again.
Yeah, but that's 17 goals in a pub league.
Billy McKay scored 28 SPL goals for Inverness Cally Thistle before joining us, and look how that turned out...