V Northampton | Page 5 | Vital Football

V Northampton

There’s far too much negativity on here. Anyone talking about us being certainties for relegation needs to have a long hard look at themselves. We need signings to make us play off contenders & Hughz needz to think about trying to win games rather than draw them but I think we can be quietly optimistic especially if we don’t sell Woz & Kenz stayz fit for more than 5 gamez at a time.

Bloody fan Wannabees.

It pisses me right off when people who won't be seen anywhere near the fucking City Ground 99% of the time are pontificating about how people who do go 99% of the time react to or feel about the players coming in.

We are the ones who have to actually sit through the misery of a relegation season. I promise you that watching on your laptop ain't the same
By your definition we can only have about 28 thousand fans a season anywhere in the world then.
Clearly a pathetic thing to say.

By your definition we can only have about 28 thousand fans a season anywhere in the world then.
Owd Mr " it sounded dreadful on Radio Nottingham" states that 'only those who actually go to all the games understand how it feels'. (After a pandemics worth of empty stadia) You couldn't make it up could you?

Last edited:
Not saying that at all.

But it does piss me off when the armchair fans think they can lecture season ticket holders on how to be fans

Last edited:
Owd Mr " it sounded dreadful on Radio Nottingham" states that 'only those who actually go to all the games understand how it feels'. (After a pandemics worth of empty stadia) You couldn't make it up could you?
I didn't realise that this was the route to touching such a nerve with you. I have to say, it's surprised me to see you backing away into the Plummer strawman fallacy

Just wondering though Pope, did you ever play football? I imagine you as the little fat lad who used to never get picked till last so pretended he didn't want to play anyway?

Then they invented the football forum and he decided to dedicate the rest of his days to getting his own back on those despicable bullies?

Is that you?
Be honest now!

I see I have inadvertently hit an artery on this one and your pride is bleeding everywhere.

Be an avid fan by all means.

But don't patronise those of us who actually have to experience the consequences of these transfer windows live.
We worry for a reason

Last edited:
It was a friendly.

I dont think ACs prediction of 2 in will be right but the post match yesterday indicates players identified and incoming. Yes, he wants them in now, but as he says it's tough. Circumstances are unique. We have never faced anything like this. I'm afraid patience is needed chaps.

It was a friendly.

I dont think ACs prediction of 2 in will be right but the post match yesterday indicates players identified and incoming. Yes, he wants them in now, but as he says it's tough. Circumstances are unique. We have never faced anything like this. I'm afraid patience is needed chaps.
As ever, we don't have to be patient as there is absolutely nothing we can do either way.

I hope more than anything to have a bit of cheer from football this season.

But this forum is the perfect place to mouth off frustrations, worries and anxieties about the way the transfer window is going.

I've never been one for mouthing off actually at people on twitter; but there's nothing wrong with a bit of venting in this closed shop. Whatever will happen will happen no matter what stance any of us take.

Season ticket arrived yesterday; still feels hard to believe that I could actually be in my old seat in a month

No, I'm convinced the squad that we have right now would be relegated.

It's hardly Inspector Poirot.

This team finished on 53 points. It's end of season form was nothing short of shocking and it had the worst goals per game ratio in the club's history.

That squad has lost 12 players, including several that were genuine contributors to what little we did achieve- players without whom we would have gone down.

So yeah, the squad as it stands today is a relegation squad in my mind- no question.

That is why I am increasingly concerned. There is, in my mind, quite a lot to do to make this squad one that can survive. And it needs depth as well; 14 signings last season and the squad still looked wafer thin.

There is a lot to do, and nothing so far has been concluded. Every day goes by makes "a lot to do" a bigger ask

To be fair you cannot argue with that, unless you are wearing rose tinted glasses like me the majority of the time.

A joke? Maybe you should flag it up.

I share some of your misgivings but by no means all. On paper, we have the players to fill all of the gaps except striker.

As we still have Taylor as well as Grabban, that's covered too - on paper. Time will tell, but I'd hope for a striker signed soon.

Our aim is to be promoted, you are not seriously suggesting on paper that is a team capable of promotion are you? Or are you merely saying we have a left back and right back on our books?

I see I have inadvertently hit an artery on this one and your pride is bleeding everywhere.

But don't patronise those of us who actually have to experience the consequences of these transfer windows live.
We worry for a reason

But there is a difference between remaining calm but worried and “Don’t panic Mr Mannering” Your constant negative commentary on the lack of transfer activity is a bit tiresome. We would all like some movement but better it be the right movement than purchasing for the sake of purchasing. The climate is difficult at present, movement is likely very late in window, which still has several weeks to go. It is a buyers market and plenty of time to window shop for bargains. Have you bought your Christmas presents yet? Be calm but worried.

But there is a difference between remaining calm but worried and “Don’t panic Mr Mannering” Your constant negative commentary on the lack of transfer activity is a bit tiresome. We would all like some movement but better it be the right movement than purchasing for the sake of purchasing. The climate is difficult at present, movement is likely very late in window, which still has several weeks to go. It is a buyers market and plenty of time to window shop for bargains. Have you bought your Christmas presents yet? Be calm but worried.

Owd Mannering

There hasn't been a constant negative commentary.

I have raised these questions about 3 times at most, including this protracted discussion (not even on the transfer thread).

I raised this at the start of the window.

I raised it a couple of weeks ago.

I'm raising it now.

What I'm saying is worrying people because people know the situation is a worrying one.

Some people prefer to talk about the things that worry them, others prefer to try to ignore the issue.

Typical friendly with a few plus points.

Gabriel looked the part and had a very good game; his defending has improved, along with his awareness of what is happening around him.

He is skilful and athletic and posed an attacking threat (played a good ball in for Taylor's goal), particularly in the second half when Lolley got out of his way.

There's plenty of improvement to come but that will only happen if he gets game time; I would be inclined to stick with him.

We definitely need a left back because Richardson needs another season out on loan; he was very shaky at the start but got better as the game progressed but he does not have that level of confidence Gabriel has developed.

Carvalho ran his socks off and displayed some nice touches; he took the initiative, dropped off of his man and came looking for the ball.

Surprise, surprise, the midfield and defence started playing the ball forward with purpose; Joao was the focal point laying simple balls off for players to run on to and the passing was pretty fluid

McKenna looked razor sharp; commanding in the air and took no prisoners on the floor; he had us defending much higher up the pitch, but that was greatly helped by having someone up front holding the ball up.

Lolley showed a few flashes of his best form in the second half.

Hughton had a right go at Cafu in the first half; I cant remember seeing him so angry.

Other than that there was nothing out of the ordinary

Johnson should be back from his Covid break on Saturday

Thanks for this - not been able to see anything of pre season so this is very helpful!

Pleased about your Gabriel comments and not too surprised about your Richardson ones. Re Gabriel, did he look a lot better than he did when he starts the first couple of games for us last season then?

I have to say, I know he’s young and it was his first game but I thought he looked pretty woeful then. Sounds like he could be fairly Cash-esque? I know it’s only pre season and you’ve seen little of him, but how does he compare to someone like Christie?

Gotta defend Pope here. He’s not suggesting that we’re definitely going down - he’s saying that based on the squad we have, where we finished last season, the way we played last season and who we’ve lost means that statistically we would go down… he’s not wrong.

No point being optimistic until we bring players in. We’ve been linked with 1 striker, which is our weakest position, and he’s just rejected us. The season starts in 3 weeks and we’re weaker… which didn’t seem possible.

I’m optimistic we’ll make signings and I’m sure we won’t go down, but I think it’s a very fair concern that we’ve lost 12, signed 1.

Regardless, he’s allowed his opinion and hasn’t stopped anyone having there’s.

But don't patronise those of us who actually have to experience the consequences of these transfer windows live.you
We worry for a reason

Owd Pope Gluteus Maximus XXIII managed to hit a nerve and an artery at the same time! There’s a vas deferens don't you know?

Oh well, you completely missed the humerus as usual!

I tend to find that the sort of person who asks questions like ‘were you bullied at school?’, ‘were you the fat kid?’ or ‘were you picked last in games’ are also the first to hide behind ‘I was joking’ or ‘you missed the joke’ etc.

These are the sort of people I try to avoid because you can almost guarantee that they were one of the bullies at school and rather than growing up they now hide behind passive aggressive ‘jokes’.

But it’s all good fun…