The European Championship ‘21 | Page 34 | Vital Football

The European Championship ‘21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if comments like this from people like this will get Southgate to analyse their comments v his timid subs and set-ups?

Gary Lineker

@GaryLineker

I think going forward
@England
have to find a way of being more attack minded. Braver in possession and throwing more people forward. We have the forward talent to scare teams, at present we seem scared ourselves to release that talent.

Don't forget Italy, where stabbings and wanton drunken violence is just as frequent.

I don't believe many think it's normal or fun here, but more they are just resigned to it as we simply don't come down hard enough on the perpetrators., some of which are just serial offenders.
You're right, footballing events are policing policy is a lot more heavy handed in Europe, which no doubt is a big shock to England fans when abroad.

But my point was a wider cultural one. On standard nights out in the UK it's so normal to see utterly ludicrous violent behaviour. So frequently you hear people saying that they are going out wanting to have a fight with anyone. From my experiences of traveling (and briefly living in Europe) it just doesn't have the same prevalence and policing pub/club closing hours doesn't require much policing attention. People drink just as much (if not more) but it generally doesn't descend into the chaos that a UK night out does. It confuses me what is the cause of this behaviour.

You're right, footballing events are policing policy is a lot more heavy handed in Europe, which no doubt is a big shock to England fans when abroad.

But my point was a wider cultural one. On standard nights out in the UK it's so normal to see utterly ludicrous violent behaviour. So frequently you hear people saying that they are going out wanting to have a fight with anyone. From my experiences of traveling (and briefly living in Europe) it just doesn't have the same prevalence and policing pub/club closing hours doesn't require much policing attention. People drink just as much (if not more) but it generally doesn't descend into the chaos that a UK night out does. It confuses me what is the cause of this behaviour.

Stupidity. Nothing more, nothing less. As we have noted here many times, we seem to have a very small minority of very stupid people - or they just can't handle their drink. Many countries in europe have basic lessons in being a good citizen and have had for the last 50 - 65 years (an after effect of the war) here we finally only caught up in 2015, so sadly we have a long way to go before we can rid ourselves of this moronic behaviour by a very small minority.

Opps, I was slightly wrong it was in the NC from around 2002, but was ill-defined and not compulsory, it was that from 2015.

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice that it took only a couple of days of downtime from the England players after their defeat on Sunday before they started taking through social media and fishing for love and sympathy?

A generation where the baby and the smartphone comes out of the womb together, connected ever since. A generation that is naked without their social media interactions, getting their hourly dose of dopamine.

Can you imagine them having to take defeat like Pearce had to in 1990 after missing a penalty? Can you imagine Stuart wanting anything other than a few close friends and family around him completely away from the prying eyes of the media. A guy that processed what happened and became a stronger person for it.

Mason Mount is the latest to post "his heart warming message" and is currently receiving the "you're great" and "you did your nation proud" or "you're a role mode" messages from the masses. His dopamine levels are through the roof today just like Saka's were yesterday.

I must be getting old. They failed and should disappear from my sight for a couple of months until I forgive them. They're lucky they are not in the Tower. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Did anyone else notice that it took only a couple of days of downtime from the England players after their defeat on Sunday before they started taking through social media and fishing for love and sympathy?

A generation where the baby and the smartphone comes out of the womb together, connected ever since. A generation that is naked without their social media interactions, getting their hourly dose of dopamine.

Can you imagine them having to take defeat like Pearce had to in 1990 after missing a penalty? Can you imagine Stuart wanting anything other than a few close friends and family around him completely away from the prying eyes of the media. A guy that processed what happened and became a stronger person for it.

Mason Mount is the latest to post "his heart warming message" and is currently receiving the "you're great" and "you did your nation proud" or "you're a role mode" messages from the masses. His dopamine levels are through the roof today just like Saka's were yesterday.

I must be getting old. They failed and should disappear from my sight for a couple of months until I forgive them. They're lucky they are not in the Tower. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

As I said elsewhere, I hate the way we 'celebrate' being also-rans, I really do.

The only thing I will remember from this tournament will be the social media racism. You have to have a whole lot of rage built up inside to react that way. Dangerous human beings.

The only thing I will remember from this tournament will be the social media racism. You have to have a whole lot of rage built up inside to react that way. Dangerous human beings.

Don't you think you're letting the mindless minority win if that's the only thing you'll remember the Euro's by?

Admittedly, it wasn't a festival of football for me. It was a tournament where UEFA finally admitted they aren't even going to try to punish the dark arts of football anymore. Any good player knew that if they beat the first man then they definitely weren't beating the second. And don't be so naive to think the ref would follow the rules of the game and issue yellows. So it all just became attritional and boring which is what we're now going to see more of in the future seasons.

Stupidity. Nothing more, nothing less. As we have noted here many times, we seem to have a very small minority of very stupid people - or they just can't handle their drink. Many countries in europe have basic lessons in being a good citizen and have had for the last 50 - 65 years (an after effect of the war) here we finally only caught up in 2015, so sadly we have a long way to go before we can rid ourselves of this moronic behaviour by a very small minority.

Opps, I was slightly wrong it was in the NC from around 2002, but was ill-defined and not compulsory, it was that from 2015.
But it's not like the UK is unique to having stupid people. Every country has them. Is it just the UK has more? If so then that begs the question why?

From personal experiences young people drink just as much as people from the UK, many from a young age. I think in Germany you can get beer in a pub from 15 and even younger if you have an adult with you! So then the question is why do other countries tend to handle their drink better?

What do you mean by lessons on being a good citizen? Is this something taught at school? I don't remember anything like this when I was in school (I finished in 2011). I don't know what it covers but I would have thought that being a good citizen is something that is indirectly encompassed in all lessons & most importantly by parents themselves.

I remember reading a few research papers that suggested that compared to many other European countries that English people don't have as big a sense of community or about doing things/sacrificing for the benefit of the community. If true is this a driver in anti social behaviour?

It was mentioned on the BBC that some India coverage of the events at Wembley suggested that it was due to a cultural impact of how engrained in the English mind an attitude of centuries of colonialism is. I would tend to believe that this has a significant underlying impact in terms of perception of power and superiority and so not collective thinking. But I'm sure being Irish and my political leanings likely result in at least a bit of bias in my thinking on it.

Or is it simply a learnt behaviour that happened to exist at one time and reached critical mass and has been passed down through the generations as an acceptable "fun" thing to do?

I guess this is getting off topic, but I do think there is something that needs to be identified and fixed about UK attitudes.
Social media, and the need to be loved and adored and never criticised is another problem that western culture needs to deal with too. Society will go down hill very quickly if any form of critic is consider abuse that must be stopped at all costs.

Didn't mean to write so much on the topic..

muttley, regards Mount, you want to come n live here and listen to all the bullshit, butter wouldn't melt, we are so proud crap that is gushing out, mainly his old school Purbrook Park and The Evening News.

If I were famous I wouldn't be anywhere near social media.

It's a tedious place. Full of egos, bullies and fake ass bitches.

Personally I think there are multiple problems in this country and the West in general, it's for me simple...so here goes...

"No respect" for themselves and anyone else, some cannot even spell the bloody word.
Law is to soft.
Left wing Woke brainwashing.
Minorities dictating, everyone afraid to discuss speak their minds.
For example, Racism! keep going on and on and on about it, it will only make things worse, any parent knows as soon as you say no to a child it will do it, with the I told you so following.
TV it seems we live in an African country, pushing equality etc
Social Media, what can anyone say, all the crap bullying that goes on on it by the gutless n faceless, the British Nasty White Man gets all the blame, as most are unidentified why not non-Whites or non Brits, immigrants etc stirring the shit.

Oh well had a rant, will probably get slagged off for it, but I do speak my mind, have an opinion, so as I say tongue in cheek introduction, I am Racist, Homophobic, Sexist add Fattist, it is called having an opinion, and I am none of those "ists or ics" am just sick of living in a Nanny state, no better a Dictatorship of kind, where freedom of speech is slowly ebbing away.

Personally I think there are multiple problems in this country and the West in general, it's for me simple...so here goes...

"No respect" for themselves and anyone else, some cannot even spell the bloody word.
Law is to soft.
Left wing Woke brainwashing.
Minorities dictating, everyone afraid to discuss speak their minds.
For example, Racism! keep going on and on and on about it, it will only make things worse, any parent knows as soon as you say no to a child it will do it, with the I told you so following.
TV it seems we live in an African country, pushing equality etc
Social Media, what can anyone say, all the crap bullying that goes on on it by the gutless n faceless, the British Nasty White Man gets all the blame, as most are unidentified why not non-Whites or non Brits, immigrants etc stirring the shit.

Oh well had a rant, will probably get slagged off for it, but I do speak my mind, have an opinion, so as I say tongue in cheek introduction, I am Racist, Homophobic, Sexist add Fattist, it is called having an opinion, and I am none of those "ists or ics" am just sick of living in a Nanny state, no better a Dictatorship of kind, where freedom of speech is slowly ebbing away.

And don’t forget the me,me,me brigade that social media encourages. People without much to offer being given a platform. Think it’s the Victor Meldrew in me coming out!

54, its not the Victor Meldrew coming out if you, cos its the bloody truth, you keep on speaking your mind with honest opinions.

Oh also apologies, I forgot the me, me, me, no hopers who just want want want, we are owed big time brigade, multitude of millenials.

54, its not the Victor Meldrew coming out if you, cos its the bloody truth, you keep on speaking your mind with honest opinions.

Oh also apologies, I forgot the me, me, me, no hopers who just want want want, we are owed big time brigade, multitude of millenials.

I can't stand these love island characters. They are so desperate to not work they will literally do anything to avoid it.

It drives me insane how many talentless people making millions.

It's never made any sense to me.

But the sheep will follow.

I can't stand these love island characters. They are so desperate to not work they will literally do anything to avoid it.

It drives me insane how many talentless people making millions.

It's never made any sense to me.

But the sheep will follow.
Simply put RD.

I'm not proud of it but I do have racist thoughts sometimes. If being resentful of a race forming a community and culture that interferes with mine, then that's what I am, a racist.

Because so many are drunken louts. Binge drinking remains a huge problem in this country. Take a look at any pub or club at the weekends, or even the caf's the morning after & you'll find not much has changed in the last 20-30 years.

I'm all for a night of fun but getting hammered & fighting seems to be some people's way of letting their hair down. Women are just as guilty nowadays. I've witnessed wanton violence by women & have even had to intervene myself on one occasion. If i hadn't goodness only knows what could have happened.

Women nowadays are posting videos of themselves urinitaing in public on the street. Charming.

Status
Not open for further replies.