Will the real Hojbjerg please stand up.. | Page 4 | Vital Football

Will the real Hojbjerg please stand up..

For me he is a poor mans Gattuso.
I rated Gattuso at Milan for what he allowed the players around him to do.
Trouble is the prem is about 3 times as fast as Serie A. I don't doubt Hobys ability to break up play, I just worry about his quickness to make the correct pass for the N'doms Delis and Gios to create something meaningful.

I agree about that perhaps pjones can say what he is like to play against.
I think we need to sign a kamara,Camavinga or Gravenberch all very young mobile cm/cdm with a good amount of first team experience.I think Dele needs a massive kick up the backside as he is just to flash .We need the Dele of the first couple of seasons not the show boat who thinks he deserves everything without performing .Gio and N'dombele need a big few months.Both hold onto the ball to long they are very talented but really need to up there game

I thought he was decent in about 5 games the rest he was just basic. Boring sideways passing and giving away free kicks. We had the worst season we had in years and he played every minute which is going to getting better ratings. I was just going on what a saw. I see cdm's like kante,ndidi,Fabiniho and rodri they make him like he is average

He was perfect for Jose and I think he will fit Nuno well also.They both play the same style of football.I do not like Hojbjerg at all but in a bad bunch at least he gave us everything he just doesn't have much quality

We can find faults with every one of our players, but why is it that no one is questioning the coaches and the coaching?. Can anyone name a single player that visibly improved under Jose?.

Hoj having 5 or so good games is better than than many that had 1 or 2 good games!!

Harry and Sonny were on fire at the beginning of the season and then descended to mediocrity towards the end.

We can find faults with every one of our players, but why is it that no one is questioning the coaches and the coaching?. Can anyone name a single player that visibly improved under Jose?.

Hoj having 5 or so good games is better than than many that had 1 or 2 good games!!

Harry and Sonny were on fire at the beginning of the season and then descended to mediocrity towards the end.

100% this!

So bloody simple that Critical.

I am not saying he cost the same. I am saying people are putting him as one of the best cdm's in the league when really he looked good because Jose had a system that played to his strengths and he did his job. In some games okay and others in which he gave away penalties,free kicks and so many fouls he did not do his job. Those players I mentioned always looked good even though there teams play attacking football. Know matter the cost I am saying he is a average player not a top one and is at his limit.
He was perfect for Jose and I think he will fit Nuno well also.They both play the same style of football.I do not like Hojbjerg at all but in a bad bunch at least he gave us everything he just doesn't have much quality

I agree but he is just so poor. Jose made I'm look good but even then he is still poor

I can’t name a single player who really improved

I can name 3

Lloris: Poch had him messing around with the ball too much. Jose made it all simpler for him and he stopped over elaborating. Then we saw the best of him again.

Sissoko: Under Poch, Sissoko was just playing with his hear, not his head. Jose drilled him and made him stay in centre mid. Doesn't make him good enough, but he definitely improved.

Moura: He was previously a defensive nightmare. He'd be constantly out of position and leaving his full-back exposed. Under Jose, he became a tireless worker in the setup as opposed to a luxury that was mostly out of the game except for a couple of moments.

The problem became that, apart from Hugo, Jose concentrated all his efforts on the wrong players. It was Dele, Ndombele and Gio that we needed to run the games from midfield. Jose's answer to that was to get Kane to drop deeper.

He really was a tactical mess.

I can name 3

Lloris: Poch had him messing around with the ball too much. Jose made it all simpler for him and he stopped over elaborating. Then we saw the best of him again.

Sissoko: Under Poch, Sissoko was just playing with his hear, not his head. Jose drilled him and made him stay in centre mid. Doesn't make him good enough, but he definitely improved.

Moura: He was previously a defensive nightmare. He'd be constantly out of position and leaving his full-back exposed. Under Jose, he became a tireless worker in the setup as opposed to a luxury that was mostly out of the game except for a couple of moments.

The problem became that, apart from Hugo, Jose concentrated all his efforts on the wrong players. It was Dele, Ndombele and Gio that we needed to run the games from midfield. Jose's answer to that was to get Kane to drop deeper.

I'll give you Lloris; it was easy for him to go back to hoofing the ball as Jose instructed him to.

Sissoko; again he just told him to stay central, can't really say I saw any improvement.

Moura; same for him, he simply told him he has to work back, but saw no improvement in his football skills or footballing intelligence.

But fair enough, Last two would defo be on my sale list.

Last edited:
I'll give you Lloris; it was easy for him to go back to hoofing the ball as Jose instructed him to.

Sissoko; again he just told him to stay central, can't really say I saw any improvement.

Moura; say for him, he simply told him he has to work back, but saw no improvement in his football skills or footballing intelligence.

Yep, it was mostly "lipstick on a pig" with Jose.

From memory I thought Davies had a better season but I will check the ratings from the year before on some players compared to last seasons. Anyone can do the same , it's all on the last couple of pages.

I have selected some players of questionable performance. First column is previous season, second is last season. Both were combined forum,.media and website averages.

Davies 5.03, 5.84
Aurier 4.66, 5.86
Ndombele 5.16, 6.20
Sanchez 5.52, 5.70
Moura 5.61, 5.78
Toby 5.60, 6.35
Dier 5.70, 6.10.

The first 3 are quite big differences so we could ask ...well did they improve. ?
Then Dier and Toby with reasonable increases and Sanchez and Moura fairly static but not worse.

From memory I thought Davies had a better season but I will check the ratings from the year before on some players compared to last seasons. Anyone can do the same , it's all on the last couple of pages.

BTW, couldn't see any ratings for Reggie when I last looked.

Moura; same for him, he simply told him he has to work back, but saw no improvement in his football skills or footballing intelligence.

Sissoko went dramatically backwards under Jose imo but I put that more down to getting older than coaching.

Hugo and Lucas I'll credit Jose a bit.

I can name 3

What did LoCelso, Alli, and N'dombele do constantly well to earn the right to combine in midfield? They were not good enough. Without Kane dropping deeper to give us direction, we were often clueless.

I can name 3

We did say that would happen though. Absolutely knew Jose would ruin us.

What did LoCelso, Alli, and N'dombele do constantly well to earn the right to combine in midfield? They were not good enough. Without Kane dropping deeper to give us direction, we were often clueless.

Worth considering that Kane's dropping in in the second half of the season led to 4 assists. He was touching the ball less than 40 times in the games and the opposition had that part of his game negated. He wasn't willing to offer any "off the ball" running or move out of central areas. It was a mess. Mason fixed it by putting Dele back in the number 10 role and letting the Kane / Dele telepathy build again using Harry back at 9.

As for Ndombele, I think he operates best in his Lyon role operating alongside another central midfielder with license to run the game. He needs to show us that he can do that in the Prem in the same way he did when he tore into Man City a couple of years back.

DItto with Gio. He needs to show us that, like Dele does, he can smell the danger of when Tanguy does over commit and can drop in defensively. That is what he does so well for his country. His attacking talents are clearly there.

So hopefully clean slate with Nuno. If these talented guys want to play for the shirt and he can get them into a system, then we will be better for it. I like systems with the width from the full-backs and the talent more tucked in and license to play.

We shall see whether Nuno has that ability to extract the best out of them.