The Great Unveiling (21/22 Predictor Leagues) | Page 12 | Vital Football

The Great Unveiling (21/22 Predictor Leagues)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walt, USA

NRD has already ruled himself out of the competition so why not just move on? There aren't other dissenting voices. Sometimes you just have to draw a line under it.

An alternative is to have a vote. A simple yes/no on its current format. With a deadline for voting. Then go with the majority vote. If it's 'no' then you know you have a problem to address. If it's 'yes' then you have a mandate to move on.

Walt, USA

NRD has already ruled himself out of the competition so why not just move on? There aren't other dissenting voices. Sometimes you just have to draw a line under it.

An alternative is to have a vote. A simple yes/no on its current format. With a deadline for voting. Then go with the majority vote. If it's 'no' then you know you have a problem to address. If it's 'yes' then you have a mandate to move on.

Thanks Gary , I have already decided to move on , I’m bored with it now ,
The rule 7 as we have published will stay , if others have any points on any other rules , I will gladly take them on board .

We don’t want this stupid argument thing to put anybody else off .
Anybody that has a genuine idea or suggestion is more than welcome to air them .

I’m just bored with the wind up, it’s not going to work .

Last edited:
Although, come to think of it, I actually do have a suggestion. A few times last season I either completely forgot about the prediction (being busy or absent minded) or else I didn't realise we had an earlier kick off etc ... So, how about each entrant throws in a default score and scorers before the competition begins, so if something comes up and they are unable to post a prediction on time, the default prediction the person entered at the start of the campaign kicks in.

It wouldn't be a big deal for the League, but it would make the Euro contest that much more competitive. Maybe if the default prediction is correct, only half the points are given?

Anyway, I'm cool with things either way. Cheers!
My counter to this would be that one of the goals of the competition is to get people coming on to the forum and encouraging them to participate to make this the wonderful community that it is. If we have default predictions then perhaps Walt/USAF are left counting scores throughout the season of people who aren't really active or barely post/read here. (and any of those people reading this I don't mean to scare you away, come and join the fun!)

Maybe a compromise would be to allow everyone a certain number of defaults throughout the season before they get put down as having no prediction. But then again that puts a great deal of work on the big bosses in charge.

Either way, keep up the good work USAF and Walt, I'm looking forward to what you have planned for the season ahead.

My counter to this would be that one of the goals of the competition is to get people coming on to the forum and encouraging them to participate to make this the wonderful community that it is. If we have default predictions then perhaps Walt/USAF are left counting scores throughout the season of people who aren't really active or barely post/read here. (and any of those people reading this I don't mean to scare you away, come and join the fun!)

Maybe a compromise would be to allow everyone a certain number of defaults throughout the season before they get put down as having no prediction. But then again that puts a great deal of work on the big bosses in charge.

Either way, keep up the good work USAF and Walt, I'm looking forward to what you have planned for the season ahead.
Can't argue with your reasoning, Meee. Well said.

Can't argue with your reasoning, Meee. Well said.

SpursEagle...hey bud Walt and I talked it over and have decided to not allow the default score suggestion.

And the reasoning is exactly what meee93 says. The goal is to encourage folks posting and participating. (and to penalize those that slack off and forget! haha)

My recommendation...plan ahead if at all possible...and if things go sideways and you need help...reach out to Walt and I. (again bribes are encouraged!)

SpursEagle...hey bud Walt and I talked it over and have decided to not allow the default score suggestion.

And the reasoning is exactly what meee93 says. The goal is to encourage folks posting and participating. (and to penalize those that slack off and forget! haha)

My recommendation...plan ahead if at all possible...and if things go sideways and you need help...reach out to Walt and I. (again bribes are encouraged!)

Showing up is a good chunk of what it takes to win.

Guys...comon...be open minded. Rule 7 is simple and elegant.

Part of the fun in forcing everyone to predict before the team selection is announced is to level the playing field. It takes knowledge of players, and crazy metric type research out of the equation...and allows for passion and emotion...and fucking LUCK. (Strategic level)

On the flip side we balance it out by allowing everyone to select the scorers all the way up to kickoff. (Tactical level) This is your chance to get technical and try to maximize your points.

Part of the fun is seeing the lineup after you have made your prediction...and saying "FUCK" to yourself...but then saying "Oh well, let's try and get the scorers and outcome right at least!"

Sorry guys...I love this system...it is evil and flipping brilliant when you look at it all tied together!
Thanks USAF, that's a good enough answer, I will keep schtumm and my gob shut lol!

Pompey , I will answer your question . Mate
There would be no problem in having a half an hour before kick off time . None whatsoever .

I made it two hours because there will always be someone who is late , it’s human nature ,and then it’s getting too close to the teams being announced .
And if it’s half an hour, the TV programmes are normally informing all and sundry what info they have gleaned on injuries and what not . So I decided two hours was a good cut off , before any news can be reasonably expected to be broadcast .

The reason why I first brought this in was to make it fair for everyone.
I will qualify that .

If one person gets an unfair advantage over one other person , that makes the whole friendly competition unworthy .

it doesn’t matter a jot how many posters would be unfairly treated if we allowed anybody to post after the teams had been announced . If it were only one , that is one too many .

Let me give you an example

A midweek game kicking off at 8 pm . Teams are announced at 7pm

A poster in parts of Australia , where they are nine hours ahead of us , would have to stay up till 4am ( or get up at 4am ) to have the same level of information as someone posting in this country .
So , reasonably , that poster in Australia would be excused for wanting to post a day early , or when it would be a convenient time for them .
Anyone posting in America would on average be 5 hours behind us which can put that poster at a disadvantage of possibly being at work , and not being able to make themselves aware of the team news .
So they would be reasonably expected to post early .
Again , anyone here in England , not being at work , gets an advantage.

So my rule stopping posters from gaining an unfair advantage , and giving everyone a level playing field , will stand for as long as I am prepared to carry on auditing this fun , fair , interesting and team building competition .
If there is a groundswell of opposition against that , fair enough , I will stand down and let a better person take over .

So my good mate Pompey , that is why .
Well that told me eh! Walt, now I understand your thinking, thus its all guns blazing, thanks for that.

That's fine, US. Meee and 80 already talked me out of it anyway! lol

This question is specially for you Nick....are you by nature a winde up merchant? and just sit back n chuckle to yourself at the response, cos if you are, you are very good at it lol!

Nick you got some front bragging about promotion at Sainsbury's lol!

Technically SavaCentre which was Sainsburys Food and BHS non food. Hypermarkets. The two tiers of management in each department wore suits. I was third tier as a Supervisor although came from Safeway as a dept Mgr. I ran rings around my 2 superiors and had to retrieve the dept each day from their cowboy practices. No rotation, damaged produce not culled. The girls on the weighing station knew I was on shift because they were inundated with shit produce to bag up, reduce and clear. The two cowboys cut corners in their suits and just piled shit on top of shit. Like I said, I was offered promotion but turned it down.

This question is specially for you Nick....are you by nature a winde up merchant? and just sit back n chuckle to yourself at the response, cos if you are, you are very good at it lol!

Walt knows when I'm winding up and when I'm serious. I have tried to inject some humour into this issue but my point about rule 7 is genuine.
I would hope Spurs win all the games in the competition. We should do. So the right outcome should be in the bag. But if Nuno decides to play kids in a few games, that outcome might be in jeopardy. But you won't know he's playing kids until an hour before and you've predicted 5-0 to us but can't change it. Its just me, I want to predict with all the ingredients in the bowl, I was hoping it would challenge me and ask questions about how I see the game panning out.

You can change scorers up until kick off but not the score, that really does not make sense. You predict 5-0 to us thinking Son and our new super striker are starting. Then you find out neither are playing and have to distribute the 5 goals around the rest. It goes against my logic but allows the minority time zoners to participate in a diluted skill factor competition.
You may realise, I don't like compromising on quality if I can help it, on this occasion I just opted out because the rules didn't allow me the chance for an extra level of accuracy, or attempted accuracy.
This counts me out of the original predictor league also to clarify.
It's no big deal, Blimey I've got very broad shoulders.

Oh the banter and arguments will carry on, don't worry. I am the one who scored 0 out of 10 during a Sainsburys management assessment. There is a reason for that. They still offered me a promotion though!

I did laugh at this, the fastest way to deal with difficult people is to promote them. I've seen many a company do this, of course, it's wrong, but also highly effective as it soon negates their negativity, and the manager then thinks they made a smart move!

Although I sure that's not what they did with you Nick.

Walt knows when I'm winding up and when I'm serious. I have tried to inject some humour into this issue but my point about rule 7 is genuine.
I would hope Spurs win all the games in the competition. We should do. So the right outcome should be in the bag. But if Nuno decides to play kids in a few games, that outcome might be in jeopardy. But you won't know he's playing kids until an hour before and you've predicted 5-0 to us but can't change it. Its just me, I want to predict with all the ingredients in the bowl, I was hoping it would challenge me and ask questions about how I see the game panning out.

You can change scorers up until kick off but not the score, that really does not make sense. You predict 5-0 to us thinking Son and our new super striker are starting. Then you find out neither are playing and have to distribute the 5 goals around the rest. It goes against my logic but allows the minority time zoners to participate in a diluted skill factor competition.
You may realise, I don't like compromising on quality if I can help it, on this occasion I just opted out because the rules didn't allow me the chance for an extra level of accuracy, or attempted accuracy.
This counts me out of the original predictor league also to clarify.
It's no big deal, Blimey I've got very broad shoulders.

It's easier to just accept the rule works for everyone the same way, and it also keeps it a light touch. This isn't a quality issue., and shouldn't have made you exlude yourself - I think withdrawing is kind of like chucking your toys out of the pram., which is a shame and frankly I thought not like you at all.

Anyway, you've declared your personality forces you to be unable to comply, so let's move on, and then we don't have to keep going around in circles.

I did laugh at this, the fastest way to deal with difficult people is to promote them. I've seen many a company do this, of course, it's wrong, but also highly effective as it soon negates their negativity, and the manager then thinks they made a smart move!

Although I sure that's not what they did with you Nick.
With respect to Nick, in the olden days a lot of Union reps were promoted to avoid confrontations!

Status
Not open for further replies.