Who are the candidates for our new manager.. | Page 124 | Vital Football

Who are the candidates for our new manager..

You stumble on another point actually. There was an old big 4 domination for years and Jol could get 5th but never get close to top 4. When Harry came along, the big 4 were creaking like crazy. When Crouchy scored at City we got CL. A year later Mancini blew Spurs out of sight. In many ways, Harry's second top 4 was better, but once again our second half of the season was poor. It always was under Harry.

Nuno's big challenge is that right now it is very tough when you look up. City and Liverpool have set new limits of points in the Prem. Chelsea and Utd are on an upward trajectory and Leicester look set fair. We need those creaks to appear again and I'm not sure they will. Perhaps Liverpool and Leicester losing big players like Tielemans, ironically to Liverpool.

In Nuno's first season, the best he can hope for is 6th. We're not in a cycle where the top 4 door is open.
I agree entirely, a sixth place finish would be entirely satisfactory next season, and would hopefully act as a springboard for better things to come. May we never finish below West Ham again.
I'm glad to see that, after a few initial rants, the guys on here seem to be coming round to the view that this appointment may not be all bad, and that given how far the Club has fallen over the past two years or so, we just don't have the credibility to attract a manager higher up the pecking order currently.
If we have a decent transfer window I think that we may be in for a pleasant surprise results wise. Whether entertaining football, the 'Spurs way' is restored from the outset is a tough ask, but if results start moving in the right direction it will come.

You stumble on another point actually. There was an old big 4 domination for years and Jol could get 5th but never get close to top 4. When Harry came along, the big 4 were creaking like crazy. When Crouchy scored at City we got CL. A year later Mancini blew Spurs out of sight. In many ways, Harry's second top 4 was better, but once again our second half of the season was poor. It always was under Harry.

Nuno's big challenge is that right now it is very tough when you look up. City and Liverpool have set new limits of points in the Prem. Chelsea and Utd are on an upward trajectory and Leicester look set fair. We need those creaks to appear again and I'm not sure they will. Perhaps Liverpool and Leicester losing big players like Tielemans, ironically to Liverpool.

In Nuno's first season, the best he can hope for is 6th. We're not in a cycle where the top 4 door is open.

Agree. Europa League should be the realistic aim. Hopefully a cup to go with.

One area I am expecting to see a big improvement - from the opening game - is in our fitness levels and work rate.

The fitness levels of our players by the end of Jose's reign was shocking.

It was noticeable when we played Wolves - even under Poch - how much fitter and stronger they were in most of the second halves of matches we played.

We should probably be able to field 7 or 8 outfield players for the City game who will be 25 years old or under. With a good pre-season under their belt they should be in good condition to compete for 90 minutes.

On paper it's a daunting opening game but really we couldn't be playing them at a better time.

Let me add I expect to see a VAST improvement in the players being technically sound. Just the art of passing, maintaining possession, receiving...you know basic shit.

And yet almost every season one or more teams who looked nailed on to finish in the top 4 at the start of the season, fail to do so. There are always cracks.

I'm not even thinking of top 4 though. It would take a monumental transfer window to even consider it.

I am absolutely thinking of top 4. It is the one thing we must achieve this season to move ahead.

Let me add I expect to see a VAST improvement in the players being technically sound. Just the art of passing, maintaining possession, receiving...you know basic shit.

well the best indication of what is possible was the short time Mason was in charge, and without being constantly in a low defensive block and actually trying to play off the front foot, we actually improved in all the area's you point at....

Muttley made this point a short while back and I think he was spot on.

Which one (or more) of the current top 4 do you think we will supplant?

The one with fewer points than us. I couldn't care less which one....or two or three. Every year it's the same story. But what really matters is team dynamics. Leicester has proven that.

This is Spurs resurgent. We aren't going away. Thinking history will repeat itself when Levy has transformed this club into a burgeoning corporate powerhouse is the wrong way to look at things.

He's taken us as far as he can. Now it's time to do the on-pitch stuff.

I am absolutely thinking of top 4. It is the one thing we must achieve this season to move ahead.
80 I love your thinking, but who do you think we would by pass?
To make the top 4 is going to be bloody hard this season coming.
For me its 5th at the best.

The one with fewer points than us. I couldn't care less which one....or two or three. Every year it's the same story. But what really matters is team dynamics. Leicester has proven that.

This is Spurs resurgent. We aren't going away. Thinking history will repeat itself when Levy has transformed this club into a burgeoning corporate powerhouse is the wrong way to look at things.

He's taken us as far as he can. Now it's time to do the on-pitch stuff.
80 good optimistic reasoning, I bloody hope what you say comes true.