The Population Problem | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Population Problem

Why do you need to limit it?
Obvious answer.
We accepted over 5million Eastern Europeans, that put massive strain on rents in the rental sector, that had a knock on effect for the indiginous population trying to get a roof over their heads.
You have to have limits. What do you do if 10million turn up together with the increased birth rates that accompanies them.
They may well be coming anyway, but not in the numbers that want to come here.
As for criminals, go after them big time, not pussy foot around like we currently do.

The perception that everyone in the developing world is desperate to leave and go to the West just isn't true. I live in a developing country and there are lots of Malaysians who go to other countries just as there are lots of Brits who go to other countries but just like Britain, the vast majority would much rather be where they were born, in their own culture and close to their family.

All of the people who want to go to Britain are going to Britain regardless of whatever fences are built or what laws are passed.

The strain on public services wasn't caused by immigration. Study after study shows that migrants are net contributors to the country they move to. They move there to work and if they are allowed to do so legally, they pay taxes etc. The strain on public services was caused by a Tory government determined to wage war on its own people. That austerity was estimated to have resulted in 150,000 deaths with very sick people being deemed fit for work and kicked off benefits etc.

So the choice isn't to have immigration or not have it. Migrants are coming one way or another. The choice is to have legal, well managed migrants coming and working and paying taxes and going home when they want to or you can have human trafficking, illegal workers not paying taxes and migrants never leaving the country.

The perception that everyone in the developing world is desperate to leave and go to the West just isn't true. I live in a developing country and there are lots of Malaysians who go to other countries just as there are lots of Brits who go to other countries but just like Britain, the vast majority would much rather be where they were born, in their own culture and close to their family.

All of the people who want to go to Britain are going to Britain regardless of whatever fences are built or what laws are passed.

The strain on public services wasn't caused by immigration. Study after study shows that migrants are net contributors to the country they move to. They move there to work and if they are allowed to do so legally, they pay taxes etc. The strain on public services was caused by a Tory government determined to wage war on its own people. That austerity was estimated to have resulted in 150,000 deaths with very sick people being deemed fit for work and kicked off benefits etc.

So the choice isn't to have immigration or not have it. Migrants are coming one way or another. The choice is to have legal, well managed migrants coming and working and paying taxes and going home when they want to or you can have human trafficking, illegal workers not paying taxes and migrants never leaving the country.
There are also many studies that have shown migrants arent net contributors.
The Somalis are an example. a recent study has shown that 95% of all Somalis in the UK are in rented accomodation, almost all in receipt of housing benefit,because of the low uptake of jobs caused by language problems.
Virtually all Somalis are eligable for social housing because of their refugee status.
I have never voted Tory and dont like their politics but dont agree with your swipe at the Tories, because Labour when in power were next to useless, hence their worse defeat in the last election in living memory.
Its ok saying if immigrants pay tax it will solve the problem, it wont.
You cant just build enough houses immediately for everyone overnight.
We average approx 350,000 new immigrants as a net figure in this country every year. They all need an immediate roof over their heads, be it with family or friends or rented sector.
Many of our towns dont have this many people.
Where do you put them all.
It isnt an easy fix, and as previously stated the west would be better off helping to solve issues in refugees homelands instead of adding to them.

There are also many studies that have shown migrants arent net contributors.
The Somalis are an example. a recent study has shown that 95% of all Somalis in the UK are in rented accomodation, almost all in receipt of housing benefit,because of the low uptake of jobs caused by language problems.
Virtually all Somalis are eligable for social housing because of their refugee status.
I have never voted Tory and dont like their politics but dont agree with your swipe at the Tories, because Labour when in power were next to useless, hence their worse defeat in the last election in living memory.
Its ok saying if immigrants pay tax it will solve the problem, it wont.
You cant just build enough houses immediately for everyone overnight.
We average approx 350,000 new immigrants as a net figure in this country every year. They all need an immediate roof over their heads, be it with family or friends or rented sector.
Many of our towns dont have this many people.
Where do you put them all.
It isnt an easy fix, and as previously stated the west would be better off helping to solve issues in refugees homelands instead of adding to them.

I'm not sure if I'm misreading your post but it seems to say that austerity didn't happen because Labour were useless when they were in government.

I'm not sure if I'm misreading your post but it seems to say that austerity didn't happen because Labour were useless when they were in government.
Yes, I think you might be misreading my post because I didnt mention austerity.
The next to useless reference is a specific comment about the state of Her Majesty's official opposition party in the UK.
They have allowed themselves to become totally unelectable due to infiltration by the hard left.
Starmer looks way out of his depth, and is obviously not going to take them on.
This Tory Party can more or less do what it wants because the only brake on it are its own back benchers.

Starmer looks way out of his depth, and is obviously not going to take them on.
This Tory Party can more or less do what it wants because the only brake on it are its own back benchers.

Indeed.

I see Starmer on LBC every week (as I follow their social media even though in far from a lefty, some of their content winds me up as much as UKIP style content would), but I’m not seeing him on mainstream media.

Why isn’t he on GMB and the breakfast shows? He’s a very smart, articulate guy who knows the facts and it very well prepared like a barrister. But why isn’t he on more mainstream TV? Why doesn’t he release footage of him and his family celebrating England scoring like the buffoon, given the perception the Labour party dislike “England”.

He needs a new PR team he seems miles off on that front.

And yes, a couple of hundred Tory back benchers provide the ultimate boundaries as to what is acceptable or not, which is already quite stretched, as to what this government think they can get away with and what they do get away with. Very sad state of affairs.

If there as a new centrist party, I think I’d vote for them because anyone else is a waste of a vote.

Indeed.

I see Starmer on LBC every week (as I follow their social media even though in far from a lefty, some of their content winds me up as much as UKIP style content would), but I’m not seeing him on mainstream media.

Why isn’t he on GMB and the breakfast shows? He’s a very smart, articulate guy who knows the facts and it very well prepared like a barrister. But why isn’t he on more mainstream TV? Why doesn’t he release footage of him and his family celebrating England scoring like the buffoon, given the perception the Labour party dislike “England”.

He needs a new PR team he seems miles off on that front.

And yes, a couple of hundred Tory back benchers provide the ultimate boundaries as to what is acceptable or not, which is already quite stretched, as to what this government think they can get away with and what they do get away with. Very sad state of affairs.

If there as a new centrist party, I think I’d vote for them because anyone else is a waste of a vote.
For the first time ever in my life I didnt vote at the last general election.
I had nowhere to go.
I have always seen voting as a civic duty, but sorry I wont put an "x" by the side of any of the current crop.
Yes re the current Labour Party hating England, the vile, sneering, Thornberry womens snide dig at the white van man and his flag have stuck with them, and keeps getting dragged up everytime she is interviewed.
I dont do the flag waving bit, but if someone wants to its their choice, but it instantly draws criticsm from the left as being jingoistic.
Labour seem to hate patriotism and instantly link it to all of the "isms" they can think of.

For the first time ever in my life I didnt vote at the last general election.
I had nowhere to go.
I have always seen voting as a civic duty, but sorry I wont put an "x" by the side of any of the current crop.
Yes re the current Labour Party hating England, the vile, sneering, Thornberry womens snide dig at the white van man and his flag have stuck with them, and keeps getting dragged up everytime she is interviewed.
I dont do the flag waving bit, but if someone wants to its their choice, but it instantly draws criticsm from the left as being jingoistic.
Labour seem to hate patriotism and instantly link it to all of the "isms" they can think of.

On that theme, I saw that David Lammy going on about reclaiming the England flag from the right wing.

Whoever said the England flag was only for the right wing? If you want to wear an England shirt or put a flag up, go for it.

Nothing about reclaiming, everyone should wear it with pride if they so wish.

On that theme, I saw that David Lammy going on about reclaiming the England flag from the right wing.

Whoever said the England flag was only for the right wing? If you want to wear an England shirt or put a flag up, go for it.

Nothing about reclaiming, everyone should wear it with pride if they so wish.

We have strayed massively from the topic really.

However, in the 70's and 80's the flag was bastardised by the National Front to be fair, which is awful, as I love flags in general, and no one should have to have shame.

We have strayed massively from the topic really.

However, in the 70's and 80's the flag was bastardised by the National Front to be fair, which is awful, as I love flags in general, and no one should have to have shame.

Fair enough, the 70’s were a little before my time that one. Rather than start a battle of who should own it, why doesn’t everyone just wear it with pride?

Fair enough, the 70’s were a little before my time that one. Rather than start a battle of who should own it, why doesn’t everyone just wear it with pride?

I think most do now, it just became a bit synonymous with the NF and skinhead movement. I remember when I had to shave my head (this is an aside) I got rid of my doctor martin boots. The boots with normal hair, fine, with a skinhead, it was a no, it had too many connotations. You wouldn't get that now, as times has moved on!

Last edited:
This is really fascinating. Following @wittonite's article about population decline in Britain in the Brexit thread, I had a nose around for some historical data about birth rates in the UK.

Fertility rates in the UK fell below 2.1 around 1920 and didn't recover until the 1940s. Perhaps it was the loss of men due to WW1?

It suggest that the declining birth rate isn't related to contraception. It's possible that the baby boom is the anomaly and that fertility rates have been in decline since the 1900s.

Last edited:
Germany's fertility rate fell below 2.1 in the late 1920s and never really recovered. It edged above the line in the 1960 for a bit and then fell away again.

Interestingly, Sweden, a country which didn't fight in either war, shows the same patterns. Their fertility rate fell below 2.1 in the late 1920s. It edged above it from the early 1940s until 1970 but never got above 2.43.

Last edited:
Could it be it corresponds to the rise in women's rights? I'm not sure they had much choice in the 19th century.
Fertility rates drop in line with women's rights, access to contraception but more than anything free women's education.

We're not going to shag our way out of this issue, as overpopulation is a global problem that needs addressing as well. AI, automation and redistribution of wealth earned by AI and automation looks like the only sustainable way forward long term.

Fertility rates drop in line with women's rights, access to contraception but more than anything free women's education.

We're not going to shag our way out of this issue, as overpopulation is a global problem that needs addressing as well. AI, automation and redistribution of wealth earned by AI and automation looks like the only sustainable way forward long term.

Yes, I was talking to a friend about the possibility of the 4 day week the other day.

We've also had discussions on here about how using GDP as a metric of success is flawed, because it needs population growth to achieve high GDP growth.

Yes, I was talking to a friend about the possibility of the 4 day week the other day.

We've also had discussions on here about how using GDP as a metric of success is flawed, because it needs population growth to achieve high GDP growth.

What conclusion did you come to about the 4 day week?