The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 113 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speak for yourself! I’d love to see England actually win something post 66 and play well with exciting attacking football. Unfortunately Southgate, as decent a bloke as he is, is too defensive minded. He needs to let go of the safety first midfield selection and go for it against the Czechs or else we’ll be going home not having had a go.

I think this is so true - feared before it started that we would at some point leave the tournament feeling we never even gave it a go! Which is what’s Southgate appears to be leading us to unless he changes it....

We all know the problem is Southgate.

But if it's an English manager required for the England job, just who is available? Looking at the PL table for the season just finished, the top club with a full time English manager is....... Villa.

And there lies the problem. Unless the FA decide to go for a 'johnny foreigner' England could be stuck with Dean Smith. It could get worse, ten points behind is old potato head himself, Steve Bruce.

If English managers were an animal, they'd be very close to extinct..... which they are in top flight football.

Oh, shit. You've just made me realise that once Southgate gets sacked, the FA will be after Dean Smith.

Southgate in!

The use of VAR in this tournament has been a real eye opener. It's use has been limited and for the most part positive. It's use in Premiership has been a fucking disaster. Hopefully lessons will be learnt.

As a Scot, I think you need to cut your team a little slack. They effectively qualified for the knock out stages after two games. I get performances have been mediocre but often teams build into a tournament.
Morning muscat, good performance from your lot last night,some good football, and played for each other.
I think with England its not so much the team, its Southgate.
He is just not liked by many supporters, his club football was dour and his set up of the England team is equally safety first.
He has a lot of talent at his disposal but his insistence on setting up not lose makes for a very boring watch.
If it was sucessful, ok, but it isnt. As soon as we get to the tournament proper we go out, so would rather go out giving it a go.

If ever you want an example of a player being in the England team purely based on who he plays for, it's Reece James. I've seen him have 2/3 good games for Chelski, tops. Southgate leaves Walker and Trippier out for him? Why Gareth?
The number of times today where he got the ball in space on the right and spent 10 seconds weighing his options then passing backwards to Stones or Rice was literally laughable.
People are criticizing Kane, but the poor bloke was completely devoid of support or service. Finally, when Grealish comes on, he then brings Kane off five minutes later to be replaced by the headless chicken Rashford. Mind boggling.

I rate James myself think he’s played well for Chelsea but he’s a defensive full back. Tuchel kept playing him right side of a back 3 towards the end of the season. Shaw has somehow appeared in loads of pundits teams of the season, but looks average to me and unfit, Chilwell is far better. We certainly lacked any attacking options with our full backs, making life easy for the sweaty’s
Agree on Kane as well. The only time we could get the ball to him is when he dropped into midfield. The 2 DM’s are killing us

The team reflected Southgate’s attitude. His caution transfers to the team and makes them ultra conservative in their approach. There are some gifted players in the England team but spontaneity and invention are stifled. All we get is plodding, lateral play with less and less urgency, energy and positivity as the game goes on.
The Scots ran the show towards the end of the game with their positive approach. I’ve seen more aggression and pace in our local walking football team.
I tried to be positive before the game because I’m English and want to believe in them but I have to hold up my hand and say the pessimism of Fulford and others was fully justified.

I looked at that team and said 0-0, I only wish I gambled, I'd be quids in. We never look like scoring, do we?
We just play keep the ball, like we did the first game but got lucky and bundled one in. Then I read Southgate was vindicated, well he's not now is he but I dare say had Stone's header gone in they'd be raving about him. (sorry couldn't think of any other changes)

I looked at that team and said 0-0, I only wish I gambled, I'd be quids in. We never look like scoring, do we?
We just play keep the ball, like we did the first game but got lucky and bundled one in. Then I read Southgate was vindicated, well he's not now is he but I dare say had Stone's header gone in they'd be raving about him. (sorry couldn't think of any other changes)
The commentator actually said at one point last night that historically this England team dont score many and dont conceed many.
A bit like a George Graham Arsenal, only without the trophies.

Uninspired performance from England, no one was outstanding, no one stood out as a leader on the pitch. Now look at the bench for a leader, defence are OK but who is leading the line up front..... no one. Who is keeping their defenders in their own half of the field because they are scared of the strikers turning them?

Kane dropping deep because he is not getting the ball and Stirling heading for the left wing... I thought Mount, Foden and Phillips had a decent game but it was just not enough. England need a Bamford up front they really do.

First decent team we play its done.

Bamford would’ve been another excuse for Southgate make yet another like-for-like sub, which does nothing to change a game plan that isn’t working.

Kane is getting a bashing - and deservedly so, but Southgate hasn’t managed to get a system that works for him like it does at Tottenham. Perhaps it he played Sterling up top with Kane and brought Jack into midfield, sacrificing a holding player that would do it?

Bamford would’ve been another excuse for Southgate make yet another like-for-like sub, which does nothing to change a game plan that isn’t working.

Kane is getting a bashing - and deservedly so, but Southgate hasn’t managed to get a system that works for him like it does at Tottenham. Perhaps it he played Sterling up top with Kane and brought Jack into midfield, sacrificing a holding player that would do it?

Kane is fishing around in midfield because he isn't getting the ball up front. It works for Spurs because their midfield knows what to do.

Kane looks absolutely dreadful. Foden is showing virtually nothing either.

All this hype about the wonderful attacking talent England have but I'm not seeing it. Partly squandered by poor management but also the product of classic hype jobbing.

Kane is absolute class. He ran the show against us. And he dropped deep many times pulling the strings . But as was mentioned yesterday he can do the with the likes of Son bombing on.

But when you have Rice and The Poodle so deep in the middle of the park what Kane does is ineffective.

Just fcuk off Southgate you clueless prick .

I am convinced he has an agenda where he thinks he is setting himself up for a big job post England by picking the Sky 6 players who will think he is an all round good egg and put a good word in for him at the aforementioned sky 6.

If you look at the teams that have won recent tournaments, they've rarely lit up the group stages. France scraped past Australia and Peru in 2018, and Portugal were awful in 2016, so I can understand Southgate's defensive approach.*

I think he got the selection right against Croatia because most people were expecting them to have lots of the ball; Sterling's pace would then have been an important factor. But against Scotland you would expect them to pack the defence and you need someone to run hard at them and commit players: even without my claret and blue specs it was a game that was calling out for Grealish at the start.

*Definitely not suggesting England will win this tournament!

Kane is absolute class. He ran the show against us. And he dropped deep many times pulling the strings . But as was mentioned yesterday he can do the with the likes of Son bombing on.

But when you have Rice and The Poodle so deep in the middle of the park what Kane does is ineffective.

Just fcuk off Southgate you clueless prick .

I am convinced he has an agenda where he thinks he is setting himself up for a big job post England by picking the Sky 6 players who will think he is an all round good egg and put a good word in for him at the aforementioned sky 6.
He is an excellent player but he has been dreadful so far and it's not just due to the manager. He looks unfit and unconfident.

I'd certainly consider Kane world class but then such players raise their game on the big occasions, he hasn't done that yet. Playing for nothing at Spurs is very different to what's at stake in this tournament.

There is nothing wrong with any of the players in the England squad. All of them are top professionals. All of them would walk into any other squad in the Euros. England fans are always looking for a scape goat to hang the blame on.

Status
Not open for further replies.