The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 112 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same with Foden, I said the other day Foden wouldn't be able to carry Villa as Jack does.

Said the same myself, I almost bought into the Foden hype because he does look a quality player (and he is but only Kane can claim to do anything like Grealish). Again its easy to say that with KDB putting things on a plate and knowing you can pass it to anyone on your team and be confident they'll do something with it.

The few times Jack was able to get the ball and run at people he just had every English player standing like statues around him as uf they didn't know what to do if the ball wasn't coming slowly towards them sideways.

My favourite was Mason Mount around the 85th minute with two hands in the air, standing in acres of space but standing totally still, lateral to Reece James with 40 yards and 3 Scotland players between them.

Move toward the ball and give him an option. Reece James isnt Pirlo and even he'd struggle to make that pass.

My favourite was Mason Mount around the 85th minute with two hands in the air, standing in acres of space but standing totally still, lateral to Reece James with 40 yards and 3 Scotland players between them.

Move toward the ball and give him an option. Reece James isnt Pirlo and even he'd struggle to make that pass.
If ever you want an example of a player being in the England team purely based on who he plays for, it's Reece James. I've seen him have 2/3 good games for Chelski, tops. Southgate leaves Walker and Trippier out for him? Why Gareth?
The number of times today where he got the ball in space on the right and spent 10 seconds weighing his options then passing backwards to Stones or Rice was literally laughable.
People are criticizing Kane, but the poor bloke was completely devoid of support or service. Finally, when Grealish comes on, he then brings Kane off five minutes later to be replaced by the headless chicken Rashford. Mind boggling.

If ever you want an example of a player being in the England team purely based on who he plays for, it's Reece James. I've seen him have 2/3 good games for Chelski, tops. Southgate leaves Walker and Trippier out for him? Why Gareth?
The number of times today where he got the ball in space on the right and spent 10 seconds weighing his options then passing backwards to Stones or Rice was literally laughable.
People are criticizing Kane, but the poor bloke was completely devoid of support or service. Finally, when Grealish comes on, he then brings Kane off five minutes later to be replaced by the headless chicken Rashford. Mind boggling.
I thought Reece James was underrated but based on last night he’s just poor.

Walker was all over the shop in the last game so deserved to come out of the team but should have been for Trippier who did nothing wrong and should be allowed to play in his actual position. This is the problem with taking a stupid amount of players in one position the manager is now having to shoehorn them into the side to give them minutes, seems like such a strange area of the pitch to chop and change and lose that rhythm you need at tournaments. Goodness knows what he would have done if Alexander Arnold was fit too - him getting injured is certainly a blessing in disguise.

It also baffles me how anyone thinks that tub of lard Shaw is any good too. Apparently he is only 25… he looks and plays like a 35 year old. Chilwell should have started both games at left back.

Walker was all over the shop in the last game so deserved to come out of the team but should have been for Trippier who did nothing wrong and should be allowed to play in his actual position. This is the problem with taking a stupid amount of players in one position the manager is now having to shoehorn them into the side to give them minutes, seems like such a strange area of the pitch to chop and change and lose that rhythm you need at tournaments. Goodness knows what he would have done if Alexander Arnold was fit too - him getting injured is certainly a blessing in disguise.

It also baffles me how anyone thinks that tub of lard Shaw is any good too. Apparently he is only 25… he looks and plays like a 35 year old. Chilwell should have started both games at left back.
I just watched his post-match interview, saying (making excuses) how this is many of the players' first experience of this type of match. Makes the decision to include James even more baffling with Trippier and Walker available. He talked about how good Trippier was against Croatia, so he then drops him for fat boy, who has barely played for England for the last four years.
It's a tournament ffs. You need experience, and given that Slab Head and Henderson aren't fit enough, then make sure you play your most-experienced players who ARE available! Trippier/Walker and Chilwell as full-backs gives you experience. Honestly the mind boggles....

Said the same myself, I almost bought into the Foden hype because he does look a quality player (and he is but only Kane can claim to do anything like Grealish). Again its easy to say that with KDB putting things on a plate and knowing you can pass it to anyone on your team and be confident they'll do something with it.
I for one am absolutely sick of the hype surrounding Foden. 17 league starts last season - and that’s his best yet?! Great talent but nowhere near the finished article and simply not half as good as people say he is at this moment in time.

People look at where he is for his age and extrapolate that out to where they assume he will be in 5 years time, but then somehow think he’s already there. It baffles me. His lack of presence in the final third is costing us just as much as Kane, Sterling, Mount, the 2 holding midfielders etc being anonymous

I knew before the tournament because of the hype Southgate would prioritise Foden over Grealish and he’d look ok in moments further pushing the hype without actually being anywhere near what Grealish could do at this tournament if used properly

I just watched his post-match interview, saying (making excuses) how this is many of the players' first experience of this type of match. Makes the decision to include James even more baffling with Trippier and Walker available. He talked about how good Trippier was against Croatia, so he then drops him for fat boy, who has barely played for England for the last four years.
It's a tournament ffs. You need experience, and given that Slab Head and Henderson aren't fit enough, then make sure you play your most-experienced players who ARE available! Trippier/Walker and Chilwell as full-backs gives you experience. Honestly the mind boggles....
If they can’t hack playing for England at a major tournament then it’s a failure of the manager to judge their character and to select them in the first place. These guys all play premier league football several of which have played in champions league finals and they were up against what is mostly a championship and SPL side if they can’t cope with that then god help us when we play a team that isn’t shite

The few times Jack was able to get the ball and run at people he just had every English player standing like statues around him as uf they didn't know what to do if the ball wasn't coming slowly towards them sideways.

No matter the year or the manager England always look so rigid and clueless at these tournaments. There are some very good players in that group and Southgate is going to completely waste them.

Final thought. Sterling is just Sean Wright-Phillips but managed by the best coach in the world at club level. Pep knows exactly how to get the most out of his limited ability but its tricked people into thinking he's more than he really is. Stick Grealish in that man city side and they will improve. Stick sterling in for Villa and we and him are infinitely worse off.

Think of what would happen to Jack if he was at Citeh. He's be drilled into making 5 yard passes and never risking a run, shot or risky pass.

We all said the same thing on here. The disappointment of not seeing Grealish in the first game meant I didn’t get carried away with the win - Phillips and Mings were excellent but the rest were piss poor and it was a scuffed shot which a half decent keeper should have saved which was the only difference. It was obvious that Southgate wouldn’t change things after we won and up against a team with some energy showed how rank average we are under Southgate

If a team like Scotland with no top quality players but with effort, energy and determination can do that to England, then what would the top teams do?

Most countries in the world call up their best players and let them get on with it. They will even adjust their formation to fit in the best XI available.

For England, the situation is different. There are a lot of players eligible for selection and often there are marginal differences in terms of quality. There is also a huge increase in pressure.

England managers take the players eligible from the top clubs because they are considered the most prestigious players available. The manager then chooses a formation and tries to shoe horn those players into it. The players are expected to play a completely different way from how they play for their clubs and to make it all work and they know that the media stalk the savanna looking for a weak link to pick off.

Look at Kane and Mount for example. Kane often drops deep when he's not getting much of the ball at Spurs. He creates an overload in midfield and the other players, especially Son, know to run into the space behind. Mount has been playing well for Chelsea this season but he isn't the kind of player to run beyond the striker. So when Kane drops deep for England, nobody makes that run in behind and England are left playing a strikerless formation.

The Citeh players are used to trying to retain possession and to pass the opposition to death. Sideways, backwards, it's all good, just keep the ball. England end up with 6 players in midfield all just trying to keep the ball and nobody up front.

Either the England manager has to figure out a formation that can allow the players he wants to play to their strengths or he chooses players based on their ability to play football the way he wants, regardless of their perceived quality or media profile.

If a team like Scotland with no top quality players but with effort, energy and determination can do that to England, then what would the top teams do?

You have to realise they have some PL players that are used to playing like that , they also raise their games as its like a Blues team when they play Villa it's their cup final. The Scots are always like it against England.

I said days ago they would give it their all and they do, England players and fans think they can walk it. With the plastic fans of the big 6 and the best league in the world, the Sky fans believe the hype. When it's constantly rammed down your throat how good Kane Sterling Foden and Mount are now add Philips and Rice to that mix and people without a mind of their own suck it up. Who was our best player last night, Pickford who we all think is the one who will let us down?

Southgate deserves the stick he's getting, nobody wants to see 2 defensive midfielders except him . Nobody would leave Jack out except him. Nobody would have the nerve to pick the youngest England side and then moan about it but him.
As I've said you don't get an extra point for winning it with your u21 team.

I think Shaw is a decent player even if a chubster but he’s a solid left back. Reece James is a very talented player, but he’s a right back.

So we had a team which started and ended the game with two centre backs, two full backs and two holding players. No wonder it’s dull, non-adventurous stuff.

Chilwell should’ve been brought on as he can play as a left attacking winger which massively changes the dynamic of the attack.

But this is down to Southgate, his comments of “to win a game you firstly can’t lose it” sum up why he hasn’t made that attacking change. Anyone else would’ve gone more attacking and been able to break Scotland down. I read somewhere we created one clear chance for Kane, if that’s true, that’s shocking.

I am not bothered about the Euros and I suspect the majority of Villa fans feel the same and have only some passing interest due to our players in the squad.
I felt all along that Concord Beak would revert to type and play the players from the Sky 6 once the tournament got up and running. I suspect he will stick to his London and North West favourites for the next game and from what I have seen of Czech Republic they will win easily. England will get massacred against a Belgium, Germany, France or Italy if they reach the knock out stages. Not a bad thing and get Jack and Mings home early for some rest and recuperation before the new season.

That "foul" on Sterling , VAR would have given him that in the PL but VAR here is hardly doing anything, brilliant.
Our VAR want to be smart arses

Yep...that would have been given in the Prem...within 10 seconds for Man Utd probably! But no need to panic, VAR will be so much better next season with the excellent Lee Mason hanging up his whistle and running the show......:slap:

We all know the problem is Southgate.

But if it's an English manager required for the England job, just who is available? Looking at the PL table for the season just finished, the top club with a full time English manager is....... Villa.

And there lies the problem. Unless the FA decide to go for a 'johnny foreigner' England could be stuck with Dean Smith. It could get worse, ten points behind is old potato head himself, Steve Bruce.

If English managers were an animal, they'd be very close to extinct..... which they are in top flight football.

Yep...that would have been given in the Prem...within 10 seconds for Man Utd probably! But no need to panic, VAR will be so much better next season with the excellent Lee Mason hanging up his whistle and running the show......:slap:

To me it's actually sky who keep drawing lines and trying to cause controversy, then moaning about VAR, just like they did with refs. Sky love VAR as they can string the after game discussions for hours. This in turn makes the man on the pitch and at Stockley a star.

That ref last night reffed the CL final and guess what I still don't know his name and nor do I want to. That's the way it should be.
Our Refs are made into household names these day and they shouldn't be

Ha, Glad it wasn’t me.

Must have been about this time when I exploded with expletives seeing two England players on the left (one of them SJ) in acres of space with waiting while England dicked around on the right and the middle passing it sideways and backwards.

In the premier league that ball is zipped out there first opportunity.

Stifled by an inept , boring, manager that thinks he is Pep.

Fcuk of Southgate, just fcuk off.

I am not bothered about the Euros and I suspect the majority of Villa fans feel the same and have only some passing interest due to our players in the squad.

Speak for yourself! I’d love to see England actually win something post 66 and play well with exciting attacking football. Unfortunately Southgate, as decent a bloke as he is, is too defensive minded. He needs to let go of the safety first midfield selection and go for it against the Czechs or else we’ll be going home not having had a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.