The Ashley Young Thread | Vital Football

The Ashley Young Thread

mike_field

Vital Football Legend
As Aston Villa fans, we are used to seeing some strange and bizarre transfer stories every summer, as we tend to get linked to everyone and anyone - but at least for the last few years, the press have repeatedly shown that they don't have a single Scooby when it comes to our targets under NSWE's charge and at best, they get very late news of a deal going through.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...lighted-with-latest-unexpected-transfer-link/

Welcome back Ash.

Not a blow away signing, but I think most of us get why it’s a decent signing.

Our squad is so weak down the pecking order, signing improvements on those as well as more of the continuous improvement of the starting XI, is not a bad thing in the short term.

Welcome back Ash! Just heard his interview on the official site and he doesn't sound like a man who has come for his pension. For a guy his age he has looked after himself and will provide a genuine option for Deano as and when he's called upon. Huge step up on Elmo and Tayls despite his years and will provide a winning mentality in the dressing room similar to JT. I see no down side to this signing at all. Who knows, he just might show us he's forever Young after all...nice bit of positive news. UTV

One of the best players I've seen play for us. Bit of a nostalgia factor but I doubt that's why he's been brought back.

Vast experience at the top levels of football. Can play in several positions. Good set piece taker. Will be great in the dressing room around the younger lads and if it all goes wrong its only a 1 year deal. Its a virtual no lose situation.

Brilliant to see him back seems like yesterday when he signed from Watford. There's no reason why he can't be an asset to the squad for a year or 2 then maybe onto some sort of coaching role.

I remember him being left out of Watfords squad for their game at Villa Park and thinking it was odd. Then on the way home after a pretty dull 2 nil win hearing we were signing not only Young but swapping Baros for Carew. Good times.

When was the last time we re-signed an ex player? I think it makes sense as a squad player, very experienced and can fill in at a few different positions

I'd bet it was Staunton from Liverpool a couple of years after they'd re signed him from us.

Maybe Ash thinks he has some unfinished business to put right at Villa Park.

Wouldn't surprise me. Every other club he's won something with. Promotion with Watford. League and various cups at man utd. League with Inter. We're the only one he's not got any kind of trophy for.