The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 86 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having lived in Serbia and Albania, and worked throughout the region, his insult is certainly one which could quite easily cause a very nasty riot. The level of hate there is very very scary. Forgive and reconciliation are not words you hear from many locals.
My point exactly it is "real" hate,

Serb soldiers raped Albanian women, so there’s undertones here.

Imagine a situation where a white player says that to a player of a different ethnicity? There would be uproar.

The people who are typically more “woke” don’t seem to even acknowledge serious things like this, yet will talk all day about events in America. I thought this was what the kneeling was meant to stop in our beautiful game?!
This is really fucked up and the guy needs to be properly punished. Racism isn't acceptable on any level.

I don't think we need to imagine things not happening and get angry about them though.

The undertones are what take this to a different level and above just a normal stupid comment.

The comment without Albanian is just crass and childish. With it, it's pointed for me.

It's really recent-ish history between three groups that used to be one country that make it a crass inflammatory comment.
The really sad thing about it is that the ruling body can see no discriminatory behaviour. To me it just shows that the ruling bodies are not serious in getting bigotry out of the game.

I actually came on this thread today to say how disappointed I am with the overall standard of football on display so far in this competition, with very few exceptions.

I don't buy this defence of 'just stating facts' We all know that it's about context and intent. The abbreviation of Pakistani, for example, is very heavily loaded in English culture and is not the same as saying Aussie or Brit.
Exactly. We're not fucking stupid. Why chuck someone's race/country of birth/sex/sexual orientation in the middle of an insult unless you want to make clear you have a problem with it? "Just stating facts" is a dumb person thinking they've a clever way out.

Marco Arnoutovic makes a racist gesture towards North Macedonians, who’s father is a Serb.

All the debate we had on another topic over 10-12 pages about racism, and after what happened over there in late 80’s/90’s, and he gets a one game ban?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-uefa-to-investigate-marko-arnautovic-remarks

Didnt watch the game but Alaba was having none of it. He should be praised, he was quick to read the room. I'd go as far as to say Arnautovic probably says stuff in the dressing room too and Alaba was prepared for him.

I don't buy this defence of 'just stating facts' We all know that it's about context and intent. The abbreviation of Pakistani, for example, is very heavily loaded in English culture and is not the same as saying Aussie or Brit.

I've been trying to think of a way of saying exactly the same thing.
The problem is I'm such a verbose old twat it would take me about three pages of A4 paper to get down what you managed in 32 words.
Well done mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.