Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 32 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

I know what you mean but I don't think Cousins or Naylor are the type who only break up play and go sideways and back. Neither are in the Evans mould but neither are they Connolly's either.

I think there will be more ball playing mids brought in and maybe Aasgaard could end up playing there. So I'm confident we'll have options.
Well Cousins definitely is. He's scored one goal since 2016 (115 games). David Perkins has scored more goals in the same time period. You don't score just one goal in five years if you can play a forward pass.

That's not a slight on the lad. He does the dirty work and that's fine. He can play the Perkins role, but it just means that we need someone next to him who can take the ball forward, can contribute to our attacks and provide attacking returns. I've no idea how Naylor plays, but I'm assuming he's more defensive due to him being able to play CB as well.

Well Cousins definitely is. He's scored one goal since 2016 (115 games). David Perkins has scored more goals in the same time period. You don't score just one goal in five years if you can play a forward pass.

That's not a slight on the lad. He does the dirty work and that's fine. He can play the Perkins role, but it just means that we need someone next to him who can take the ball forward, can contribute to our attacks and provide attacking returns. I've no idea how Naylor plays, but I'm assuming he's more defensive due to him being able to play CB as well.

Not scoring lots of goals from def mid isn't an indication that he can only go back and sideways. Players like Ben Watson and Lee Evans scored very few in open play but you wouldn't say their passing was limited. I'm not saying Cousins is that type of expansive player but I dont think he's a just a tackler afraid to play a bit if he gets the chance.

Last edited:
If they want to have rules limiting overseas players i have absolutely no issue with that, but i have an issue when the rules are designed to barely impact the big clubs while hurting the smaller clubs. Considering the current system regarding youth players is heavily skewed in the rich Prem clubs favour - allowing them to monopolise and horde youth players - i think allowing them to monopolise the import market just tips the scales further away from the rest of us.

I have not been a fan of the football work permit rules for a long time, i think with or without Brexit - they were skewed and rolling them out further just highlights the issue they have always been. Clubs who can afford the cream of the crop can flood their squad with top internationals, while everyone else is locked out and can't find any up and coming stars to help them compete.

A much more fairer system would be a quota system - at one point back in the late 90's early 2000's i believe there was a rule that stated you could only field 3 non EU players - so they clearly can make a quota system work. Surely scrapping the work permit system in favour of a simple cap, where every team can sign and field a set number of overseas players would be a much better compromise. They can set the number to say 3 or 4, so that the top 6 clubs can sign 4 of the best players in the world if they like - but the lower sides still have the ability to try and do what Brentford did and find players like Maupay, Benerama, etc that allowed them to climb the leagues.

But i think the issue is the bigger clubs don't care about what is fair and the system favouring them is probably exactly why it is this way. So i can't see it changing.

C'est la vie, mon ami!

Slightly off topic,but why are the Premier League fixtures released today,when the premier league finished AFTER the EFL and the EFL new season kicks off BEFORE the premier league. Again, another example of how nothing else matters and in fact it’s as if no other leagues/clubs exist apart from the greed league!

Slightly off topic,but why are the Premier League fixtures released today,when the premier league finished AFTER the EFL and the EFL new season kicks off BEFORE the premier league. Again, another example of how nothing else matters and in fact it’s as if no other leagues/clubs exist apart from the greed league!
Is the calendar not all messed up next year to fit in Qatar? Prem might be starting earlier.

Nixon saying Beattie and Kelly are both meant to be joining the coaching staff. Interesting stuff as i would've imagined it was one of the other.

Also sounds like Nixon isn't convinced that Barnsley or Hull are as serious as other sources suggested on Fraser.

The Premier League & the EFL are different competitions run by different organisations.
The Premier league have decided when they were going to release their fixtures & the EFL have decided on a different date
I'm pretty certain that its nothing to do with any favouritism towards the top flight

Is the calendar not all messed up next year to fit in Qatar? Prem might be starting earlier.

having just had a quick scan at the dates involved, there doesn't appear to be any adjustment to the fixture calendar for next season in order to accommodate the Qatar World Cup - season starts on August 14th & finishes on May 22nd

having just had a quick scan at the dates involved, there doesn't appear to be any adjustment to the fixture calendar for next season in order to accommodate the Qatar World Cup - season starts on August 14th & finishes on May 22nd

Was there any plans to adjust this coming season?

I thought it was the 2 following seasons that were to planned to be adjusted.

As the World cup only starts in November 2022 it will be the season after next that will see all kinds of disruption with leagues suspended from mid november until Christmas!Going to be a right mess!!

Going to be a right mess!!

yep - don't know how far down the pyramid the season suspension will go as you can't imagine that Stevenage v Colchester will be effected by call ups but I guess they may argue that it all needs aligning as you'll end up with some clubs having different length close & pre-season's & gaining an unfair advantage as a result.

yep - don't know how far down the pyramid the season suspension will go as you can't imagine that Stevenage v Colchester will be effected by call ups but I guess they may argue that it all needs aligning as you'll end up with some clubs having different length close & pre-season's & gaining an unfair advantage as a result.

Or us :rotfl::rotfl:

Tough titties for the teams with better (international) players, them's the breaks. All evens out :fish:

I think Grigg will probably end up being our number 9.

That may not end up our first choice midfield as some of the above may end up on the bench with players yet to sign coming in. Fingers cross Humphrys and Fraser could end up in the mix and maybe even Power. Whatever happens we should hopefully be a lot stronger than last season.

My goodness. If we get them players, along with Cousins, then I take back my previous comment about us struggling to get promoted. We will get back to back promotion with them players Haha