Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 31 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Midfield looks set to be 4231 for next season.
Edwards-Keane-Lang
Cousins-Naylor

Unless Langs seen as a striker being number 9, could be another starting winger incoming at some point.

Compared to the start of last season with an inexperienced side, these signings are at a good age with lots of games under them.

Edwards-Keane-Lang
Cousins-Naylor

Unless Langs seen as a striker being number 9, could be another starting winger incoming at some point.

Compared to the start of last season with an inexperienced side, these signings are at a good age with lots of games under them.

Can't believe you've left Massey out of that selection ;)

I saw a comment on Twitter that said something like "if he's as good as he is on football manager, then he will be class".

It got me thinking how do our other signings stats look on football manager?

Surely not?

Superb signing. I think the previous 3 were good bits of business but Cousins is a higher calibur. I am suprised he didn't go to a Championship club. The Stoke fans seemed to rate him from what i've seen.

The first time Cousins name was mentioned was on Twitter the week before, the same source said that Fraser, Humphrys and a young Man City player had all been in for talks. With Humphrys liking the club Twitter and Instagram and now this news it's looking like it was credible info. Fingers crossed Fraser and Humphrys come through as well.

Cheltenham also apparently interested in Owen Evans according to Nixon, he apparently did well on loan for them previously so that would make sense for them and him. I can see him going.

Edwards-Keane-Lang
Cousins-Naylor

I think Grigg will probably end up being our number 9.

That may not end up our first choice midfield as some of the above may end up on the bench with players yet to sign coming in. Fingers cross Humphrys and Fraser could end up in the mix and maybe even Power. Whatever happens we should hopefully be a lot stronger than last season.

When we've played with 2 in the middle apart from James and Morsy/Williams we've always had a plodder which against 3 man midfields has been a problem. But Naylor and Cousins will cover the ground against 3.

Lang is an all round better player than Grigg. He's useful in a front 2 or with a side like Mk dons that play exclusively to feet.

There will be lots of signings yet to come, we'll see how Leam goes about structuring the side. Before finding success with 433 he was playing 4231 and ended the season with 4231, it must be his prefered system.

Leam might even use Naylor as a central defender and have Keane, Cousins and someone like Fraser in midfield, who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stoke fans on Twitter saying it's a hell of a signings for us they seem to rate him very highly
My daughter’s partner is an exiled ‘Stokie’ and also says he’s a cracking signing for us ….he has had his injury problems but last season appeared to have got over them, but nonetheless lost his place to Mikel so that’s seemingly why he’s been deemed surplus at Stoke.

Cheltenham local press say Evans has signed for them.

When he first started appearing in friendlies about 5 years ago I thought he showed a lot of potential. But he's not a kid anymore and if he was ever going to break into the first team he'll never get a better chance than last year. Since he didn't manage then it's hard to see him ever being able to do it going forward after we probably bring in another keeper to start ahead of Jones - so it's a good move for him to stay in L1 and have a chance to play rather than just take part in warm ups.

He was one of those that got better the more he didn’t play because of how shit Stoke were. His pedigree is good though having spent pretty much all his career in the Championship. I don’t want to see him with Naylor in midfield though, zero creativity there.

I assume anyone offered a new contract is off if they haven’t signed yet. If they still have offers on the table then they should be withdrawn as clearly they haven’t bought into the the club having not signed with about a week and a half left before pre season.

He was one of those that got better the more he didn’t play because of how shit Stoke were. His pedigree is good though having spent pretty much all his career in the Championship. I don’t want to see him with Naylor in midfield though, zero creativity there.

I assume anyone offered a new contract is off if they haven’t signed yet. If they still have offers on the table then they should be withdrawn as clearly they haven’t bought into the the club having not signed with about a week and a half left before pre season.

It depends on the system, the plan could be to have 2 more defensive minded centre mids to allow the full backs and attacking mids more licence to get forward and create knowing they are well covered.

Looking at the squad we will probably bring in another 1 or 2 def mids who will be different types of player so we have options, including someone who's more of a deep sitting ball player.

It depends on the system, the plan could be to have 2 more defensive minded centre mids to allow the full backs and attacking mids more licence to get forward and create knowing they are well covered.

Looking at the squad we will probably bring in another 1 or 2 def mids who will be different types of player so we have options, including someone who's more of a deep sitting ball player.
We played the same formation under Cook and it never worked unless we had one central midfielder who could look up and play a forward pass. Because the attacking midfielders could never get on the ball due to our central midfielders passing sideways or backwards all the time like Connolly. One of them is fine, but two in the same pivot becomes an issue. We’ll definitely sign at least one more CM and that person needs to be that ball player you mentioned.

If he goes three in CM it’s a different story, but I don’t think he will. I think he’s going to want to play 4-2-3-1.

Could mean absolutely nothing, but someone has pointed out on Twitter Max Power is liking a lot of Wigan Athletic stuff.

Someone else pointed out Viv liked Cousins signing on Instagram.

Interesting things to like if you left years and arent coming back ago or are about to leave.

Last edited:
We played the same formation under Cook and it never worked unless we had one central midfielder who could look up and play a forward pass. Because the attacking midfielders could never get on the ball due to our central midfielders passing sideways or backwards all the time like Connolly. One of them is fine, but two in the same pivot becomes an issue. We’ll definitely sign at least one more CM and that person needs to be that ball player you mentioned.

If he goes three in CM it’s a different story, but I don’t think he will. I think he’s going to want to play 4-2-3-1.

I know what you mean but I don't think Cousins or Naylor are the type who only break up play and go sideways and back. Neither are in the Evans mould but neither are they Connolly's either.

I think there will be more ball playing mids brought in and maybe Aasgaard could end up playing there. So I'm confident we'll have options.