Racism in football/booing/the knee | Page 20 | Vital Football

Racism in football/booing/the knee

How about Lives Matter?

Including all the black lives in Africa, a place where civil war, genocide and starvation is still killing millions a year , but we are obsessed with America and footballer Kneeling, in support of basically nobody knows and nobody really gives a shit. It's all token and lip service and for footballers driving about in £Million sportscars and supporting equality.

Spot on mate if you want racism go to Poland, France is another place they have booed their national football team for being all black.
I've been going to Villa Park for the last 53 years and never seen any form of racism, Like I've said Villa's biggest hooligan is black and followed by mainly white thugs, if they were racist would they have made him their hero pin-up boy.

I think it's been blown up out of all proportion by media hysteria
And the said lad with white mates laid into the National Front when they turned up in Birmingham in the late 70s.

I thought the approach at the Scotland game yesterday was spot on with all of the off pitch staff standing with arms around shoulders showing solidarity with the need to remove racism and all forms of discrimination. The Czech players had their own way of doing the same by pointing to the Respect logo on the shirts. There was no booing and the moment was quite poignant and got the message across. When Scotland come to Wembley though they will 'take the knee'. Surely, we can show our respect and solidarity without 'importing' an American symbol that actually originated during playing the Stars and Stripes.

Including all the black lives in Africa, a place where civil war, genocide and starvation is still killing millions a year , but we are obsessed with America and footballer Kneeling, in support of basically nobody knows and nobody really gives a shit. It's all token and lip service and for footballers driving about in £Million sportscars and supporting equality.
What's Africa got to do with English players protesting structural racism in Western society? Do Anglo-Saxon English have to moderate their opinions based on what's currently going on in Germany?

Players' wealth doesn't and hasn't prevented them from suffering from racism, and successful people trying to use their platform for good is an admirable thing. Poor people who protest we say are bitter and jealous, and then wealthy people who protest are hypocrites. It's almost like we just want everyone to shut up about inequality.

What's Africa got to do with English players protesting structural racism in Western society? Do Anglo-Saxon English have to moderate their opinions based on what's currently going on in Germany?

Players' wealth doesn't and hasn't prevented them from suffering from racism, and successful people trying to use their platform for good is an admirable thing. Poor people who protest we say are bitter and jealous, and then wealthy people who protest are hypocrites. It's almost like we just want everyone to shut up about inequality.
Well if we are to be fair, we shouldn't just look at the quality of life of people in the Western world should we? Should be all lives all over the world...
Unless you want to cause more segregation. It's all linked surely.
So what you saying? We only worry about black lives matter s in the Western world. African black lives can take care of themselves.
Maybe it's because if we try getting involved in Africa's politics then they will just tell us to piss right off and mind our own business.

I would throw that question back at you Platypus and ask why do Anglo-Saxon English have to have an opinion formed by what goes on in America.
Anti-black racism and racism against non-white people exists in Britain as well, plus there's a pretty obvious link between blacks in the US and many blacks here in terms of the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. For all our differences, like it or not, our cultures share a common history.

Well if we are to be fair, we shouldn't just look at the quality of life of people in the Western world should we? Should be all lives all over the world...
Unless you want to cause more segregation. It's all linked surely.
So what you saying? We only worry about black lives matter s in the Western world. African black lives can take care of themselves.
Maybe it's because if we try getting involved in Africa's politics then they will just tell us to piss right off and mind our own business.
People can choose to protest about something specific without it saying they don't care about some other problem in the world. This protest is about racism in our society. Other protests are available.

Anti-black racism and racism against non-white people exists in Britain as well, plus there's a pretty obvious link between blacks in the US and many blacks here in terms of the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. For all our differences, like it or not, our cultures share a common history.
Platypus, as someone who was born, and lived in Aston, Witton, and Handsworth, for 25 years, racism against white people by non whites also exists, believe me, I have been on the receiving end on a number of occasions.
I have also been in the company of black guys when they have been on the end of racist stick.
Its not good either way.
Nobody saying its perfect, but it is nothing like the level of injustice that blacks are getting on the receiving end of in America.
Anyway, this thread is about booing at football matches so to get back on track you are going to have a hard time convincing me that the knee is not a gesture directly linked to a political organisation with whom I disagree.

Platypus, as someone who was born, and lived in Aston, Witton, and Handsworth, for 25 years, racism against white people by non whites also exists, believe me, I have been on the receiving end on a number of occasions.
I have also been in the company of black guys when they have been on the end of racist stick.
Its not good either way.
Nobody saying its perfect, but it is nothing like the level of injustice that blacks are getting on the receiving end of in America.
Anyway, this thread is about booing at football matches so to get back on track you are going to have a hard time convincing me that the knee is not a gesture directly linked to a political organisation with whom I disagree.
Which organisation though? Black Lives Matter Global Network, Black Lives Matter UK, UKBLM, or one of the many other different ones?

People can choose to protest about something specific without it saying they don't care about some other problem in the world. This protest is about racism in our society. Other protests are available.
But from where I sit... This protest is about racism towards black people only.
This is how I perceive the situation. So I won't back it. All races get abuse for a variety of reasons. This is not exclusive to black people.

Which organisation though? Black Lives Matter Global Network, Black Lives Matter UK, UKBLM, or one of the many other different ones?
What UK BLM which that Sasha johnson is a major player.... And got banned from Twitter for saying she won't stop until white people become their slaves.
All BLM organisations seem poison to me.

But from where I sit... This protest is about racism towards black people only.
This is how I perceive the situation. So I won't back it. All races get abuse for a variety of reasons. This is not exclusive to black people.
Some things are exclusive or worse for black people.
- Less likely to be offered a job as a similarly qualified white person
- More likely to die in police custody
- Given *less anaesthetic in hospital*
- Shorter life expectancy
- Not allowed to have their natural hair in some schools or workplaces
- More likely to be stopped and searched by police
- More likely to be imprisoned for the same crime as a white person
- More likely to be falsely accused of shoplifting
And on and on.

That list doesn't even touch on being directly racially abused by an overtly racist person - many are structural things due to rules and guidance being written invariably by someone who doesn't understand issues specific to black people.

This has become a generic debate about racism, it was about the booing. There are debates in off topic for this sort of thing.

Going to end this now, as this part of the forum isn't for such things really.

Might re-open if there are any strong reactions in the England v Scotland game.

It has gone way off topic for now though.

It's good that racism is taking the attention away from the petty blame game that always follows these things. Remember those West Ham morons with their effigy of Beckham?

One thing I will say is that not every racist on Twitter is English. Perhaps very few of them are. A 19 year old in Singapore was convicted of racially abusing a PL footballer recently.

It's good that racism is taking the attention away from the petty blame game that always follows these things. Remember those West Ham morons with their effigy of Beckham?

One thing I will say is that not every racist on Twitter is English. Perhaps very few of them are. A 19 year old in Singapore was convicted of racially abusing a PL footballer recently.

I’m sure there are lots of racist idiots in the U.K., and they need to be found, banned, charged by the police etc, which goes without saying.

I did however see a screenshot of some of the comments, and most of them looked like dodgy accounts. I’m convinced there are meddlers out there who are exacerbating the situation, perhaps the Russians are bored.

I’m absolutely not trying to defend English fans because the scenes from the other day not only the racism but the storming the stadium, especially after years of hearing about football fans thinking they are blameless for Hillsbrough, just makes me angry, as all fans are tarnished with that brush. But there is more to it than meets the eye I think. I’m pretty sure we had this with a post AVFC put up at the end of Ramadan, and you just get racists from other countries commenting.

Last edited:
I’m sure there are lots of racist idiots in the U.K., and they need to be found, banned, charged by the police etc, which goes without saying.

I did however see a screenshot of some of the comments, and most of them looked like dodgy accounts. I’m convinced there are meddlers out there who are exacerbating the situation, perhaps the Russians are bored.

I’m absolutely not trying to defend English fans because the scenes from the other day not only the racism but the storming the stadium, especially after years of hearing about football fans thinking they are blameless for Hillsbrough, just makes me angry, as all fans are tarnished with that brush. But there is more to it than meets the eye I think. I’m pretty sure we had this with a post AVFC put up at the end of Ramadan, and you just get racists from other countries commenting.

I'm not sure about football but I'm convinced the Russians are stoking the racial issues in the US. Anything that keeps the Americans away from looking for an external enemy is good for Russia.

I'm not sure about football but I'm convinced the Russians are stoking the racial issues in the US. Anything that keeps the Americans away from looking for an external enemy is good for Russia.
There's an undeniable base of actual fucktards behind a lot of this but I also think there will be 'outside interference'. This might not necessarily be Russia but just some very dedicated troll farms out there to cause problems, especially given the publicity this always drives.

Most football players are 'influencers' and make a lot of money out these platforms. Until they are prepared to forgo this income and make a proper stand against big tech the big tech companies will do the square root of zero about it.

Imagine if loads of high profile players announced that they're leaving Twitter indefinitely because of how bad it is? It would be horrific publicity and drive down it's share price and potentially drive some real change.