Euros 20/21 Thread | Page 15 | Vital Football

Euros 20/21 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I will say is that the Scots went for it. It might have been a naive tactic for game 1, but when our time comes to exit the tournament I hope England don't just go down watching.

Typical Spain. Pass, pass, pass and pass some more. If they had someone like Lewandowski up top they would take some stopping.

Was thinking tournament was starting to get good, but not sure those two would have scored if they'd started playing in June 2020 instead

That was Spain mid-00's. Pass, pass, pass, er, pass. I can't recall all their squads going into tournaments but you wonder whether they held on to the old guard a little longer than they should have done.

Shoulda won, mind. That said, Sweden had two presentable chances.

What I will say is that the Scots went for it. It might have been a naive tactic for game 1, but when our time comes to exit the tournament I hope England don't just go down watching.

They had to in order to get out of the group didn't they? Clarke had no doubt identified this as the game he was most likely to win to get them out of the group. Suspect if they had won this then they would have stonewalled the other two hoping for a point. They won their group game against these with one shot on target and 30-odd percent possession so I think this lauded "go for it" tactic is nothing more than necessity to be honest. Clarke is as pragmatic as they come...

Only seen the highlights, but as an Anglo-Scot (who has always favoured the English) whatI saw reminded me of Scotland’s usual performances - plenty of heart, battling and occasionally skilful midfield, naive defence and lacking finishing composure and quality in and around the box. Pretty much like Australia really 🤔

Only seen the highlights, but as an Anglo-Scot (who has always favoured the English) whatI saw reminded me of Scotland’s usual performances - plenty of heart, battling and occasionally skilful midfield, naive defence and lacking finishing composure and quality in and around the box. Pretty much like Australia really 🤔

The thing is, even in the 70's and 80's with what I class as exceptional players available (Law, Bremner, Gemmill, Dalglish, Hanson ... the list is endless) Scotland have never got out of the Group stage of any Tournament be it WC or EC?

The thing is, even in the 70's and 80's with what I class as exceptional players available (Law, Bremner, Gemmill, Dalglish, Hanson ... the list is endless) Scotland have never got out of the Group stage of any Tournament be it WC or EC?
1978 WC missed out on goal difference after failing to beat minnows Iran.
1982 WC squad was outstanding albeit a bit old. Missed getting out of the group on goal difference largely thanks to conceding two goals to whipping boys New Zealand in a 5-2 win.
1986 WC lost narrowly to the Germans, but failed to beat a Uruguay side that played 89 minutes with ten men and held on for a goalless draw to qualify themselves with just two points.
1996 EC missed out on goals scored and would have gone through had Holland not got their late consolation goal in the 4-1 drubbing to England at Wembley.

I think Scotland are clearly one of those teams who are there because of the expanded tournament format. They haven't really improved from previous teams who didn't make it, the competition has just expanded to their level. They're just lacking a bit in quality compared to other teams - Robertson is a top player but a good left back will only get you so far and after that they don't have a lot.

I think Scotland are clearly one of those teams who are there because of the expanded tournament format. They haven't really improved from previous teams who didn't make it, the competition has just expanded to their level. They're just lacking a bit in quality compared to other teams - Robertson is a top player but a good left back will only get you so far and after that they don't have a lot.

Yeah especially with your second best player always niggly injured and missing the game

They had to in order to get out of the group didn't they? Clarke had no doubt identified this as the game he was most likely to win to get them out of the group. Suspect if they had won this then they would have stonewalled the other two hoping for a point. They won their group game against these with one shot on target and 30-odd percent possession so I think this lauded "go for it" tactic is nothing more than necessity to be honest. Clarke is as pragmatic as they come...
It will be interesting to see what their approach v England will be having lost the first game. Throwing in the 'Derby' nature of the game, it all adds to the potential for a kitchen sink coming Southgate's way. Or will Clarke go for the patient game, try and stay in it and look to nick it much later on.

The evening kick off should at least provide a pointer as to how much England were observing the first game heat as a factor in how they approached it. I can certainly see a game of football breaking out in this one at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.