Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 30 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Tal's tweeting 5 pens today (Sunday) so looking like a busy week.
The Keeper from Pompey would be good

Last time he tweeted 4 pens and they got announced over 7 days so probably expect maybe 1 every week day as they generally never announce big news at weekends on official site.

I imagine 4 of them could be Evans, Dodoo, Darikwa and Viv as I suspect he would have them already done before teasing and they must have made up their minds one way or another by now. Maybe Tilt or Ojo could be another. Power and Grigg outside bets maybe.

I keep hoping for Humphrys and Fraser but both seem to be attracting Championship interest so i don't think we'll get them unfortunately.

There are no rumours linking us to them but I'd love McGuilverry and Stockly. Callum Harriott also a very smart free I've not seen linked with anyone yet.

If we signed their goalie I think Pompey fans would really flip.
Imagine losing your 3 best players to little old Latics 🤣🤣.

He was POTY and they all say he is amazing - if we did get him they'd probably suddenly start saying he was dreadful and they never wanted him anyway.

He's worth signing for the wind up value alone!

I wouldn't be surprised if they're keeping a close eye on the Euros as well. Clearly we're not going to be signing French, English, Spanish etc. Internationals, but there are a few countries there (Macedonia, Slovakia, Hungary etc.) where players aren't above playing third tier football with an ambitious club.

It's a shop window and lots of clubs will also be watching, but it's not impossible to pick up a gem if the right people are watching closely and see something they like in some of the less well known players.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're keeping a close eye on the Euros as well. Clearly we're not going to be signing French, English, Spanish etc. Internationals, but there are a few countries there (Macedonia, Slovakia, Hungary etc.) where players aren't above playing third tier football with an ambitious club.

It's a shop window and lots of clubs will also be watching, but it's not impossible to pick up a gem if the right people are watching closely and see something they like in some of the less well known players.
Doubt we'd get work permits for players at that level. The rules are MUCH more strict post Brexit. You won't see many, if any, teams outside the championship picking up players from abroad who don't already have right to work in the UK.

Doubt we'd get work permits for players at that level. The rules are MUCH more strict post Brexit. You won't see many, if any, teams outside the championship picking up players from abroad who don't already have right to work in the UK.

If they are playing regularly for their national team you would very likely get them a work permit. But inevitably those players are probably going to be attracting interest from bigger clubs if they impress, so you're right there will be very few signings from abroad in this league.

Report coming out of Aberdeen that their new manager wants to bring Ojo back in from the cold and give him a chance - so he wont be available for transfer.

I thought Ojo was pretty decent overall, and i'd have happily had him back for the squad but i'm not heart broken if he doesn't come back.

He's a similar type to Naylor but with less goal threat. I suspect we'd probably have been looking at bringing in another first choice central midfielder who's more of a ball player (Evans style) to start with Naylor even if we got Ojo.

If they are playing regularly for their national team you would very likely get them a work permit. But inevitably those players are probably going to be attracting interest from bigger clubs if they impress, so you're right there will be very few signings from abroad in this league.
I think you've hit the nail on the head, if they are picking up enough points to qualify for a permit why would they come here? You need to be a regular international in a top 50 ranked team (So basically from Northern Ireland upwards) for an automatic pass. Below that you need to get 15 points from being an international, playing regularly in a high prestige domestic or continental competition and have the team they play for be moderately successful.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020...e-post-brexit-english-clubs-efl-libertadores/

Unless you are extraordinarily lucky you won't see many players meeting those requirements AND want to play in League 1. I doubt you'll see that many want to play in the Championship. For context players like Mahrez and Mbuemo, arguably two of the most successful Championship imports in recent years, would have failed to get work permits under the new rules.

It's made it easier for Prem teams to sign Brazilians and Argentinians but it means everyone else will be fishing out of a much smaller pond.

It's beginning to be slightly concerning that on 15th June we still only have less than half of the players we need signed up.
I was hoping to have another 3 or 4 in by now so we could start pre-season training with almost a full squad and backroom staff, but although our Chair is Tweeting cryptic what appears to be positive things there is still very little apparent progress.
We started form a VERY low base I know, but we need to up our game very soon if we are to be a competitive team this year and not be in another relegation battle from the start.

It's beginning to be slightly concerning that on 15th June we still only have less than half of the players we need signed up.
I was hoping to have another 3 or 4 in by now so we could start pre-season training with almost a full squad and backroom staff, but although our Chair is Tweeting cryptic what appears to be positive things there is still very little apparent progress.
We started form a VERY low base I know, but we need to up our game very soon if we are to be a competitive team this year and not be in another relegation battle from the start.
We are always going to be behind everyone, not only are we building a team but we're building the backroom staff, grounds staff, etc. I know stuff is happening behind the scenes that doesn't get announced (because no-one cares about some administrative roles being filled - but they make the process of signing players and staff easier) so have a little faith and patience. Lots can happen in the next couple of weeks.

I don't think we'll be near relegation next season but equally I'm not expecting us to trouble the promotion race.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, if they are picking up enough points to qualify for a permit why would they come here? You need to be a regular international in a top 50 ranked team (So basically from Northern Ireland upwards) for an automatic pass. Below that you need to get 15 points from being an international, playing regularly in a high prestige domestic or continental competition and have the team they play for be moderately successful.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020...e-post-brexit-english-clubs-efl-libertadores/

Unless you are extraordinarily lucky you won't see many players meeting those requirements AND want to play in League 1. I doubt you'll see that many want to play in the Championship. For context players like Mahrez and Mbuemo, arguably two of the most successful Championship imports in recent years, would have failed to get work permits under the new rules.

It's made it easier for Prem teams to sign Brazilians and Argentinians but it means everyone else will be fishing out of a much smaller pond.

If they want to have rules limiting overseas players i have absolutely no issue with that, but i have an issue when the rules are designed to barely impact the big clubs while hurting the smaller clubs. Considering the current system regarding youth players is heavily skewed in the rich Prem clubs favour - allowing them to monopolise and horde youth players - i think allowing them to monopolise the import market just tips the scales further away from the rest of us.

I have not been a fan of the football work permit rules for a long time, i think with or without Brexit - they were skewed and rolling them out further just highlights the issue they have always been. Clubs who can afford the cream of the crop can flood their squad with top internationals, while everyone else is locked out and can't find any up and coming stars to help them compete.

A much more fairer system would be a quota system - at one point back in the late 90's early 2000's i believe there was a rule that stated you could only field 3 non EU players - so they clearly can make a quota system work. Surely scrapping the work permit system in favour of a simple cap, where every team can sign and field a set number of overseas players would be a much better compromise. They can set the number to say 3 or 4, so that the top 6 clubs can sign 4 of the best players in the world if they like - but the lower sides still have the ability to try and do what Brentford did and find players like Maupay, Benerama, etc that allowed them to climb the leagues.

But i think the issue is the bigger clubs don't care about what is fair and the system favouring them is probably exactly why it is this way. So i can't see it changing.

I don't think it's that concerning, i think we're exactly where you'd expect based on the way football is. Every deal in the league is part of a long transfer chain where one deal going through higher up the chain trickles down as players become available and can trigger so many others directly and indirectly. At the moment with the Euros, players being on holiday, players hedging their bets and agents touting them while they are still being paid by their current club, and clubs not wanting to sign players earlier than necessary to avoid paying thousands of pounds in wages when preseason is a few weeks off - all of the conditions make it tricky to do your business early - as many players aren't available at the moment or aren't willing to commit just yet.

Looking around the leagues this year, or in past years, the transfer market is always quite slow going early in the summer and gradually picks up pace when you get into preseason and further again as we approach the transfer deadline. In the last few years the majority of our business was done quite late in preseason and i think it will probably be similar this time, with us using more youth players to plug the gaps as we work on adding players.

We could probably have signed more players by now if we were willing to settle for lesser targets, but if we want to sign the best possibly players we have to play the waiting game in many instances. In an ideal world we wouldn't be so short on players and would be able to get more deals wrapped up early - but unfortunately it's the nature of where we are and the market we operate in.

If they want to have rules limiting overseas players i have absolutely no issue with that, but i have an issue when the rules are designed to barely impact the big clubs while hurting the smaller clubs. Considering the current system regarding youth players is heavily skewed in the rich Prem clubs favour - allowing them to monopolise and horde youth players - i think allowing them to monopolise the import market just tips the scales further away from the rest of us.

I have not been a fan of the football work permit rules for a long time, i think with or without Brexit - they were skewed and rolling them out further just highlights the issue they have always been. Clubs who can afford the cream of the crop can flood their squad with top internationals, while everyone else is locked out and can't find any up and coming stars to help them compete.

A much more fairer system would be a quota system - at one point back in the late 90's early 2000's i believe there was a rule that stated you could only field 3 non EU players - so they clearly can make a quota system work. Surely scrapping the work permit system in favour of a simple cap, where every team can sign and field a set number of overseas players would be a much better compromise. They can set the number to say 3 or 4, so that the top 6 clubs can sign 4 of the best players in the world if they like - but the lower sides still have the ability to try and do what Brentford did and find players like Maupay, Benerama, etc that allowed them to climb the leagues.

But i think the issue is the bigger clubs don't care about what is fair and the system favouring them is probably exactly why it is this way. So i can't see it changing.
Without wishing to bring politics into it too much, it is exactly what the whole agenda has been about. Stopping less skilled workers (in this case, League 1 and 2 players) coming to the UK while smoothing the path for more skilled workers (Prem players). The rights and wrongs have been discussed to death, but will it be beneficial to football in the long term?

Does it mean EFL clubs need to focus on giving chances to young British and Irish players (haven't they already?), or does it just mean that those players can start to demand a premium? Will the limitations on numbers of younger players teams can sign from abroad (max of 6 per season, none under 16 or 18 I think) mean that PL clubs start raiding the academies of EFL sides for players to pad out their academies using the EPPP which is already heavily stacked in favour of the big teams?

My opinion is that it will just lead to talent and money pooling more at the top of the game and degrade the overall quality further down but as football is irrational and emotive I can see scenarios where that wouldn't be the case.

Without wishing to bring politics into it too much, it is exactly what the whole agenda has been about. Stopping less skilled workers (in this case, League 1 and 2 players) coming to the UK while smoothing the path for more skilled workers (Prem players). The rights and wrongs have been discussed to death, but will it be beneficial to football in the long term?

Does it mean EFL clubs need to focus on giving chances to young British and Irish players (haven't they already?), or does it just mean that those players can start to demand a premium? Will the limitations on numbers of younger players teams can sign from abroad (max of 6 per season, none under 16 or 18 I think) mean that PL clubs start raiding the academies of EFL sides for players to pad out their academies using the EPPP which is already heavily stacked in favour of the big teams?

My opinion is that it will just lead to talent and money pooling more at the top of the game and degrade the overall quality further down but as football is irrational and emotive I can see scenarios where that wouldn't be the case.

Also without trying to get into the politics of the situation, the comparison between football and real world is where the football system shows it's flaws in terms of how it measures 'skilled workers'.

If you wish to move to the UK for work 3 of the big factors are expected earnings, sponsorship of your employer and skill level. The financial side of things are generally not a factor but the issue is they are using the number international starts as the metric to judge skill, which can only bit hit by a tiny portion of players which sets the bar far higher than any other profession.

For example someone like Patrick Bamford scored 17 goals in the Prem last season - but due to him sitting behind the likes of Kane, Rashford, etc he would fail to meet the criteria if he was not already UK based, yet someone like Josh Maguiness from Hull who plays the same position but in L1 would meet the criteria despite obviously being the lesser player. It shows that the system is flawed.

I have no issue with them saying talent entering the UK has to be at a certain level in football or any business - it's the use of international caps in football as the defining that metric that i find quite unreasonable measurement.

Football is a unique industry and i think the rules should reflect the nuances that come from effecting the competition side of things. As i said i think a universal cap of every club being allowed to sign 3 or 4 overseas players could be a happy compromise - or base the work permits on number of appearances they have made at club level rather than international.

A much more fairer system would be a quota system - at one point back in the late 90's early 2000's i believe there was a rule that stated you could only field 3 non EU players - so they clearly can make a quota system work. Surely scrapping the work permit system in favour of a simple cap, where every team can sign and field a set number of overseas players would be a much better compromise.

Do you mean the UEFA rule that in their competitions a team could only field 3 or 4 players not from the country where the club was based?
i remember that really impacting on the English clubs in Europe coz UEFA also included the home nations as separate countries

I think the main problem with a set cap system is that it means it pushes the price up of players from the home nations even further as everyone is battling for the same number of players but from a much smaller pot

Do you mean the UEFA rule that in their competitions a team could only field 3 or 4 players not from the country where the club was based?
i remember that really impacting on the English clubs in Europe coz UEFA also included the home nations as separate countries

I think the main problem with a set cap system is that it means it pushes the price up of players from the home nations even further as everyone is battling for the same number of players but from a much smaller pot

No i don't think it was that one. It was the early 2000's, you could sign as many EU based players as you liked but anyone outside the EU was capped at i think 5 signings and only 3 per match day squad. I think there might still be something like that but it's evolved since.

It was effectively like loans are now - you can sign so many but can only field a lesser amount.

That’s our first “top six level” signing for me. Been in the Championship pretty much all of his career and not yet at his peak level. He’ll do the leg work, just get someone creative next to him and our central midfield will be sorted. Need to get him fit though and keep it that way as he’s not played a full 40+ match season in years.