1st crowdfunder | Vital Football

1st crowdfunder

N"Zogbia's fan club

Vital Squad Member
Saw this from Twitter
The Supporters Fund

We need your views!
In August 2020 Wigan Athletic Supporters Club rallied fans and friends of WAFC to raise just over £200,000 to save Wigan Athletic from extinction during the 2019/20 season. These monies were used to help keep the football club running at the start of administration, and ensured that the season’s fixtures could be completed.

The Crowdfunder campaign stated that…

“All monies will be given to help Wigan Athletic function in these uncertain times. Should there be anything left over, we will put it towards projects within the club, stadium improvements or the Community Trust”

Following the successful sale of the club, the administrators were able to return funds to the Supporters Club. So now we’d like to hear your views on the projects that you’d most like us to support with the donations.

Working together with Wigan Athletic and Wigan Athletic Community Trust we are proposing a number of options for community-focused projects, each of which would involve the council and sponsors to utilise and make the very most of the funds over the next two years. We are asking supporters to select their preferred three choices from the options below.

In addition, if you have any suggestions or comments you would like us to consider please use the form to let us know!
1623445611811.png

"Should there be anything left over, we will put it towards projects within the club, stadium improvements or the Community Trust”

I donated based on the above and not anything else. Are they legally allowed to vary their initial terms of "contract"?
Some of us have donated a fair sum and would like to see the funds allocated towards the initial terms and not on any other projects.
Views anyone?

No problem with them re-allocating for any of the stated initial aims other than that absolutely not - also note there is no refund to donators option !

"Should there be anything left over, we will put it towards projects within the club, stadium improvements or the Community Trust”

I donated based on the above and not anything else. Are they legally allowed to vary their initial terms of "contract"?
Some of us have donated a fair sum and would like to see the funds allocated towards the initial terms and not on any other projects.
Views anyone?

I think you already know my views on this lot, you've rubbished them enough!

Donated... Given... "soft loaned"... loaned... sat in a bank account... its all the same I'm sure!

Refund must be an option as they are varying the "contract".

Aren't all those projects community trust protects?

You are covered by the crowd funder terms and conditions (you gave your money to them and they are a limited company, if you aren't happy you can ask them for it back), your bank (better if you donated via credit card, but debit cards have protection) "not as described or defective merchandise" protection, and the legal system (generally in that order).

Last edited:
Just give it a rest and stop moaning.
You gave the money, it's gone.
It will not be frittered away, it will be used for the good of the club or their charity partners.
So either suggest something positive for the money or just leave it

Reactions: GSM
Personally, I would like to see my donation used to help the club improve facilities and a facelift for the stadium. It wasn't donated as a gift to charity, but as an attempt to save our football club.

Strangely that wasn't an option, maybe they can aspire some 14-19 year olds to learn some trades and do some free work to facelift it!

Anyone who does query this with crowdfunder / their card should have an easy time getting it back.

Made a final request to supporters club to release the details of the loan:

Caroline,

To confirm you have no intention of making public the agreement you had to loan the crowdfunded, public money to the club/administration which led to it sitting unused in a bank account until it was refunded?

It clearly says at the bottom of the form that if you have any suggestions or ideas about how to use the funds then let them know!So instead of bellyaching on here simply let them know!

Personally I would like my cash used to employ a local Norley good time girl to fumble with my genitalia for a couple of minutes on entering the stadium. Form a queue lads and stop fecking pushing at the back.

I haven’t bought into the criticism of the SC in their efforts to save the club, but what a load of bollocks this is.

People donated money to this fund for use in efforts to keep the club afloat. It wasn’t donated to them be used in this unquantifiable manner. I fail to see the urgency in wanting to spend it immediately, the stuff doesn’t grow on trees. The money should be retained and used to pay for transport for supporters for important away fixtures, or cosmetic stadium improvements and internal dressing not pissed away on these proposed vanity projects. I’d even rather it be split equitably between those employees who lost their jobs that it be fritted away in this manner by tenuously associating it with the club.

Personally I would like my cash used to employ a local Norley good time girl to fumble with my genitalia for a couple of minutes on entering the stadium. Form a queue lads and stop fecking pushing at the back.

The more I think about this the more legs it has and would also perform a public service. We could involve the NHS who would supply a nurse to perform a prostate check during the procedure...then have 3 representatives from the sperm bank for free samples. We could line these up with a bucket each and have a game of who could catch the donations along the It's a Knockout format lines.

Its win win and all in a good cause.

It clearly says at the bottom of the form that if you have any suggestions or ideas about how to use the funds then let them know!So instead of bellyaching on here simply let them know!
With respect I think you missed the point. The promise to spend the leftover money on their original promise of "towards projects within the club, stadium improvements or the Community Trust” was totally forgotten and substituted for new ideas. Yes there is a comment box but seriously will your comments turn into action?

Donated... Given... "soft loaned"... loaned... sat in a bank account... its all the same I'm sure!

Aren't all those projects community trust protects?

You are covered by the crowd funder terms and conditions (you gave your money to them and they are a limited company, if you aren't happy you can ask them for it back), your bank (better if you donated via credit card, but debit cards have protection) "not as described or defective merchandise" protection, and the legal system (generally in that order).
I would expect them to donate the money directly to the Community Trust and not try to "dream up" new projects. They could make a restricted donation but I do not see that intention in their survey.