Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 28 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Andrew Moon from Pompey local press who reported accurately on Lowe's move to us said Naylor is done and just waiting to be announced.

Some heartaches (although not as much as last season fire sale!!!!), in the loss of Joseph and Evans. With the exception of Whatmough and Keane, I am not sure that the players we are signing matches the caliber of players we have lost. I am a touch worried. All will be fine if we get Fraser and Grigg.

Then again, the players we are signing, are pretty much confirming that we wont be fighting a relegation battle next season, however, I can't see us pushing for promotion in the next 2 seasons like some are suggesting.
I sometimes have to shake my head, and try to remember we are 'Little Wigan', and League One is perhaps our level, with the Championship being our 'Promised Land'

Still early days though.

Some heartaches (although not as much as last season fire sale!!!!), in the loss of Joseph and Evans. With the exception of Whatmough and Keane, I am not sure that the players we are signing matches the caliber of players we have lost. I am a touch worried. All will be fine if we get Fraser and Grigg.

Then again, the players we are signing, are pretty much confirming that we wont be fighting a relegation battle next season, however, I can't see us pushing for promotion in the next 2 seasons like some are suggesting.
I sometimes have to shake my head, and try to remember we are 'Little Wigan', and League One is perhaps our level, with the Championship being our 'Promised Land'

Still early days though.
Heartache non with me if players want to leave then good riddence i say good luck and goodbye
These guys now in control know what they are doing and are not muggs
At least we still have a great club and still our owners own the stadium,
The future is bright under talal and those in charge
Wait and see im confident in these guys they will do well
Could be worse having not got our own stadium and having to pay rent to use it and so on

Heartache non with me if players want to leave then good riddence i say good luck and goodbye
These guys now in control know what they are doing and are not muggs
At least we still have a great club and still our owners own the stadium,
The future is bright under talal and those in charge
Wait and see im confident in these guys they will do well
Could be worse having not got our own stadium and having to pay rent to use it and so on

Absolutely, we are in a much better position than last season.

I am still bitter about what has gone on with Admin. But have to look to the future and put all our backing towards Talal, Rich, and the boys

Still early days though.

I think there's a lot to be excited, actually. There's clearly a lot of ambition in these signings (including staff) and, depite finishing 20th, the aim is getting back into the Championship ASAP.

The team even seems to be getting an entirely new "vertebral column" except for the GK (a mistake, imo, but there might be a signing there we just haven't heard even rumours of), no need to be pessimistic.

Given Portsmouth finished in 7th and these are supposedly two of their better players that they wanted to keep im unsure why anyone would be pessimistic. Joseph barely played a game last season and apart from one good game against Burton and a decent performance at Sunderland he didn't do much. Evans injured for large spells and though he's undoubtedly a good player I'm not sure he's irreplaceable. Important to me we get signings in early to let Latics gel as last year showed how hard it is bringing in signings once we've started.

Given Portsmouth finished in 7th and these are supposedly two of their better players that they wanted to keep im unsure why anyone would be pessimistic. Joseph barely played a game last season and apart from one good game against Burton and a decent performance at Sunderland he didn't do much. Evans injured for large spells and though he's undoubtedly a good player I'm not sure he's irreplaceable. Important to me we get signings in early to let Latics gel as last year showed how hard it is bringing in signings once we've started.
It's more the potential of what could have been. I don't think his departure weakens us in any way for next season but it's a loss beyond that.

Hopefully we'll see others sign up soon and start refilling the conveyor belt of talent. I've seen a few people saying that McGurk has been promised first team action if he stays - it would be nice to get at least one win over the vultures now!

Still early days though.

When you do like for like we've not really got enough in to compare.

We've got a number of players still considering contracts that may yet stay and i imagine there is a good chance we will try and sign the likes of Tilt and Ojo.

But from the definite in's and outs in comparison.

Whatmough is probably a better player than Johnston. So that's a trade up.

Naylor is a probably more in the Merrie than Evans for direct comparisons sake. So Naylor for Merrie is a large trade up.

We haven't recruited a play making def mid like Evans to compare to just yet.

We haven't recruited a striker yet to compare to Joseph.

We haven't lost a winger yet to compare to Edwards.

Come the end of the summer we might have cause for concern but thus far, i think it's far to early to tell.

We're putting together a good squad. All the players here from last season have either gained experience or recovered their fitness which strengthens those that remained.

Edwards has more experience and better stats than Otabor, probably an upgrade but can't be certain until we see him play regularly.

Naylor is better than Ojo and a leader.

Keane was fit for about 20mins of games early last season, when he came back into the side he was solid for 70. Hopefully with pre-season he can keep improving his fitness levels to a full game.

Whatmough is better then any of the central defenders we had here last season.

If Pearce stays we've got the best crosser in l1.

Lang is one of the best players in l1, hope he gets a new contract soon.

6 proper players to build around for next season. Couldn't be much happier atm with recruitment.

It's more the potential of what could have been. I don't think his departure weakens us in any way for next season but it's a loss beyond that.

Hopefully we'll see others sign up soon and start refilling the conveyor belt of talent. I've seen a few people saying that McGurk has been promised first team action if he stays - it would be nice to get at least one win over the vultures now!

The flip side of that is Joseph may not develop and if we pushed the boat out to keep him we'd regret not taking the 1m off Swansea when we had a chance. Him going now could be a blessing in disguise as we get 1m for the potential of player who may never actually go on to fulfil that potential.

The likes of Jerome Sinclair, James Wilson, Nile Ranger, Frederico Macheda, Adnan Januzaj etc were all considered more highly than Joseph at the same age and they flopped massively.

I'm not suggesting that will happen, but the game is littered with wonder kids who can't make the step up to elite level. Swansea will be thinking they got one over on us at the moment but in a few years time we might be thinking we mugged them off. You never know and only time will tell.

Quote from Naylor on Wigan today:

'When Wigan came calling, I spoke to the manager, and he sold the club to me. He told me the players he’d be bringing in, and the fact the aim is promotion. That’s all I want to do as well, the aim every season has to be promotion and I’ve come here to do that next season.'

Sounds like our shopping list is quite interesting.

Of those four, I would like Viv and wouldn't be overly bothered if the rest refused to sign

Darikwa might have squared feet but he's tall, athletic and plays in a position where there's literally no one else. Going forward, he might not be starter material but he's for sure needed.

The latter applies for Dodoo as well. We don't know how large the squad will be (probably... Not large at all) so I can see him as one of the first subs of the team whenever anyone up front needs to be taken off.

Last edited: