Jamie Jones | Page 3 | Vital Football

Jamie Jones

While I admit that I am ruled by loyalty, here is my take on Jamie Jones.

He kept us in a lot of games which were close enough to lose - I won’t be spelling out each one to the pedants as I have done that already.

I watched every match we played and I saw a leader, a solid keeper and a good distributor of the ball, putting defences under pressure every game as well as commanding his own area.

He made mistakes but so did the other defenders. He looked safer in a settled defence. Again I stress if he was the best keeper in the world he wouldn’t be playing for us for too long 😁

He made some fucking brilliant saves when we needed him to and threw himself into dangerous positions at times

He loves the club and is a decent man who I hugely respect.

I don’t expect everyone to share my views but I do expect our fans to repay that respect and cut out any hurtful abuse.

Jamie will be our captain and keeper next season and I am over the moon about that 😁

You're right about the abuse & you're also right that he made some great saves & kept us in some games.
I'd also agree that if he was the best keeper in the world then he wouldn't be playing for Latics. I said the same thing during the season & that as a keeper who has been a lower division journeyman pretty much throughout his entire career that there was a reason for that & he was what he was
And again I agree that he loves the club & is a decent man who is worthy of everybody's respect for the efforts he made to try & keep the club alive which I don't believe he did purely to get himself another contract

That said, & as I've already mentioned above, he is what he is & for every game he kept us in he cost us games. His ability to save long range efforts is almost non-existent & it's clearly something that opposition managers & players have picked up on. I think his own positioning & the placement of his walls for free kicks is poor, and we've been watching a different keeper if you think he commands his area coz I think he's jittery & doesn't come out for crosses etc. that he should be trying to claim
People, including yourself, have mentioned he is better or will be better with a settled defence but that ignores the fact that in his previous 3 seasons he has had periods in the team behind settled defences & his flaws start to get exposed within a couple of games & he's been dropped. The same argument can also be used to counter those who say he'll pick up next season when we've got a goalkeeping coach coz he's had them previously as well & the flaws to his game that I see have been there then as well - they're not just things that occurred whilst we were in administration

I'm not someone who is expecting to see Latics challenging for promotion or the play offs but I'd like to see a big improvement in quality of the squad & how Latics perform & they finish next season. Bearing in mind that last season we were in administration & could only sign loan players & free agents that shouldn't be too hard now that we no longer have those restrictions. Part of that improvement for me involves a better keeper than Jamie Jones

While I admit that I am ruled by loyalty, here is my take on Jamie Jones.

He kept us in a lot of games which were close enough to lose - I won’t be spelling out each one to the pedants as I have done that already.

I watched every match we played and I saw a leader, a solid keeper and a good distributor of the ball, putting defences under pressure every game as well as commanding his own area.

He made mistakes but so did the other defenders. He looked safer in a settled defence. Again I stress if he was the best keeper in the world he wouldn’t be playing for us for too long 😁

He made some fucking brilliant saves when we needed him to and threw himself into dangerous positions at times

He loves the club and is a decent man who I hugely respect.

I don’t expect everyone to share my views but I do expect our fans to repay that respect and cut out any hurtful abuse.

Jamie will be our captain and keeper next season and I am over the moon about that 😁

100% nail on the head.

I said something similar myself a few days ago... yes, he made a fair few mistakes, but he also made some phenomenal saves and on several occasions kept us in games we really didn't deserve to still be in. Having stayed up by a single point, there's no doubt whatsoever that some of Jamie's saves kept us up.

More than that, he's invested himself in the club and has been nothing but a force of hope and positivity in a very dark time for the club.

He's no Peter Schmeichel, but if he was, he wouldn't be at Latics in the first place.

Captain Fantastic. Abso-frickin-lutely. Jamie's contribution to the club last season, on and off the field, is woefully underrated.

I reckon now that the club's future is settled and with the prospect of playing behind a better quality defence we will see an improved Jamie Jones.
Bringing in another keeper would however keep everyone on their toes, competition for places is never a bad thing.

100% nail on the head.

I said something similar myself a few days ago... yes, he made a fair few mistakes, but he also made some phenomenal saves and on several occasions kept us in games we really didn't deserve to still be in. Having stayed up by a single point, there's no doubt whatsoever that some of Jamie's saves kept us up.

More than that, he's invested himself in the club and has been nothing but a force of hope and positivity in a very dark time for the club.

He's no Peter Schmeichel, but if he was, he wouldn't be at Latics in the first place.

Captain Fantastic. Abso-frickin-lutely. Jamie's contribution to the club last season, on and off the field, is woefully underrated.
That’s just not true though is it. He cost more points than he saved. We’ve done this argument to death and gone over all the examples.

End of the day, if the owners want a Championship club in the distant future, they’ll need a better, more consistent keeper starting every week. Unfortunately I suspect they will need another season to finally realise that. I just hope it doesn’t cost LR his job in the process.

Whilst I appreciate that people will have different views on any keepers performances I still believe that too many on here need to stop watching PL football and trying to compare our players with PL stars.

JJ is a lower league standard keeper, and has been consistently so all his career.

Those who wish to compare him to Championship and PL keepers are missing the point. I suggest that prior to criticising JJ they watch other keepers from the same division. I am sure that they would then realise that JJ is in the higher end of keepers in L1. I agree that if we are back in the Championship next season then we will need a better quality keeper, but until we reach that level JJ is probably the best option and is better than many in L1.

I think that some on here need a reality check. We are only just out of administration and have to rebuild a full squad. Spending big bucks to bring in a Championship standard keeper for this season would be low on my priority list given that we have one of the better keepers in the division already in place.

Whilst I appreciate that people will have different views on any keepers performances I still believe that too many on here need to stop watching PL football and trying to compare our players with PL stars.

JJ is a lower league standard keeper, and has been consistently so all his career.

Those who wish to compare him to Championship and PL keepers are missing the point. I suggest that prior to criticising JJ they watch other keepers from the same division. I am sure that they would then realise that JJ is in the higher end of keepers in L1. I agree that if we are back in the Championship next season then we will need a better quality keeper, but until we reach that level JJ is probably the best option and is better than many in L1.

I think that some on here need a reality check. We are only just out of administration and have to rebuild a full squad. Spending big bucks to bring in a Championship standard keeper for this season would be low on my priority list given that we have one of the better keepers in the division already in place.
Football is all about opinions. Can’t fault Jones for his commitment to the cause and he is clearly a top bloke but you can’t let that cloud your judgement. I think he’s a great squad player but in my opinion if we are to move forward we need an upgrade, otherwise we’re treading water and the owners have so far demonstrated they want us to be competitive. To do so I believe we need to invest in a new keeper. However, I respect anyone who has a different opinion to me. This forum would be boring if we all thought the same

It's not about comparing him to Prem & Championship keepers & I'd completely disagree that he's a higher end L1 keeper - certainly not from what I've seen over the last 4 years
I don't think anyone's who's criticised Jones has asked for a Championship standard keeper in his place. Just one who is better than him for the level we're at
But it's all about opinions & everyone is free to tell it is they see it & disagree with those who think otherwise

Agree completely about JJ and that some people are getting carried away and need to keep their expectations closer to reality.
We already have a good L1 keeper in JJ and need to concentrate on filling other areas where we are weak, no competition or have no-one

Actually, I'm comparing him to our three L1 goalkeepers who were the key men between the sticks the last three times we got out of this league. Filan, Jussi and Walton. Jones I'm sorry to say, is not at the level of those three. He'd make a good first team regular for a bottom half League One team and as much as our fans would love to go back to the days of us being lower league minnows at Springfield Park, we're trying to get promotion back to where we were (the Championship) before being robbed of our spot.