Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 24 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

But Cook did seem to go out of his way to avoid using MacDonald or even put him on the bench even when we had injuries and he was available. He played defenders in midfield ahead of MacDonald- despite his immaculate reputation as a pro - he was treated like the others.

McMannaman was one Cook admitted himself he never gave a fair chance to but unlike the rest at least he got a few mins as sub now and again.

Never known a Latics manager to freeze out as many players as Cook.

He wasn't selected ......... but not because he was in bad books for some reason. Cook obviously thought he either hadn't fully recovered or wasn't as good as he had been. Either way, he wasn't on the naughty list ...... that was my point.

Whatever he may have done with some players, he had created an excellent team/squad before he left.

If only, eh?

He wasn't selected ......... but not because he was in bad books for some reason. Cook obviously thought he either hadn't fully recovered or wasn't as good as he had been. Either way, he wasn't on the naughty list ...... that was my point.

Whatever he may have done with some players, he had created an excellent team/squad before he left.

If only, eh?
Cook created an excellent team spirit throughout his time with us. But if you didn’t work hard and put the effort in you were out. I have no issue with that. Paul Cook was the life and soul and I witnessed that first hand at the team hotel before one of our away games. I could see from the short time I spent in his company why players want to play for him

Very shrewd from MK, sorted a replacement out for that Fraser on a free and are now set to cash in on him.

Unfortunately this is the perils of the level we are at. Once it was made public that we were bidding 400k for a player with his record at L1 level then it was only a matter of time before clubs higher up the food chain stepped in either in L1 or Championship with bigger and better offers. Makes it very difficult to do business.

Very shrewd from MK, sorted a replacement out for that Fraser on a free and are now set to cash in on him.

Unfortunately this is the perils of the level we are at. Once it was made public that we were bidding 400k for a player with his record at L1 level then it was only a matter of time before clubs higher up the food chain stepped in either in L1 or Championship with bigger and better offers. Makes it very difficult to do business.
MK will need to pay Swindon compensation as he came through their ranks

There's always a chance Scott Fraser has signed. The window only opens tomorrow so a cash signing can only be announced then.
Even though clubs higher up might be interested it doesn't mean they want to spend.

There's always a chance Scott Fraser has signed. The window only opens tomorrow so a cash signing can only be announced then.
Even though clubs higher up might be interested it doesn't mean they want to spend.
That would make no business sense for MK Dons though. If they’ve received an offer, then naturally the normal thing to do is make it public (which they have) and start an auction. 400k for a midfielder with the attacking returns he has in L1 (albeit his goal numbers aren’t as impressive as they look due to penalties), is absolute peanuts. Clubs with more means than us will surely come in at that price.

Someone claiming on twitter that 4 players have been shown round the training ground.

Scott Fraser, Jordan Cousins, Stephen Humphrys and a Man City youngster.

Normally you would be skeptical of something like that but Humphrys has started following the club on twitter so might be some truth to at least some of it.

Humphrys would not be a bad shout at all. 23, 6'2, strong and quick - 11 goals and 4 assists for Rochdale last season - 2 against us in the 3-3 away game.

Cousins just left Stoke and has always been a very decent player he'd be a good pick up on a free.

Devante Cole who knows Fraser from Burton apparently put a message on instagram to Fraser saying 'you next' in regards to moving to Barnsley. I'm not on instagram to check but if that's right it would seem that is an indication that is happening.

The lad said same source told him about Whatmough before that got out and wasnt claiming they had signed just been there and Richardson is showing lots of players around. So I guess it's plausible as players are probably going around various clubs checking out their options.

It's Twitter so obviously has to be taken with a large pinch of salt but thought it was worth mentioning due to the Humphrys follow.

Last edited:
Mk Don's chairman pretty much said they'll be selling players this summer - like they did last year with Healey to Toulouse to balance the books. So add to the fact they already got Twine in Fraser looks certain to go.

Healey was a striker with a 1 in 2 ratio for them and the deal apparently was worth over 1m. So using that as a rough gauge i would've thought they'll hold out for more than 400k for Fraser.

Clips of Humphrys at Rochdale and Southend. Previously linked with Stoke and another number of Championship clubs. Still under contract for another year so would cost a fee.

Could be a very tidy bit of business if his twitter follow indicates his potential arrival.

Last edited:
That would make no business sense for MK Dons though. If they’ve received an offer, then naturally the normal thing to do is make it public (which they have) and start an auction. 400k for a midfielder with the attacking returns he has in L1 (albeit his goal numbers aren’t as impressive as they look due to penalties), is absolute peanuts. Clubs with more means than us will surely come in at that price.

Potentially though club's aren't willing to spend due to lack of finances even higher up and will look to free signings.
We so we've been told are debt free so will have a bit to spend. 400k is now a lot of money for some club's.
Which to MK is good business if they've brought in Frasers replacement for free with similar wages.

If Humphrys is signing it will be for a fee. Signed for Rochdale last season on a 2 year deal, they broke their transfer record to sign him. Which was at 150k, not sure on the exact fee. Seems to have been around 150k-500k from different sources keeping the fee undisclosed.

He's a good player, two footed and a bulldozer. Even when they went down to 10 men against us he was genuine threat still. Backs into defenders and takes the ball on the turn very well.

Kwadwo Baah was also dangerous, almost signed for Man city and ended up going to Watford for 125k. Which seems very low for an 18 year old with that amount of potential.

Almost forgot to say, it seems he has more flair then he showed against us in the highlights above.

Lets wait and see what develops barnsley are a right bunch of bstds Wouldn't be surprised if they follow our every move to piss us off even more

If Humphrys is signing it will be for a fee. Signed for Rochdale last season on a 2 year deal, they broke their transfer record to sign him. Which was at 150k, not sure on the exact fee. Seems to have been around 150k-500k from different sources keeping the fee undisclosed.

He's a good player, two footed and a bulldozer. Even when they went down to 10 men against us he was genuine threat still. Backs into defenders and takes the ball on the turn very well.

Kwadwo Baah was also dangerous, almost signed for Man city and ended up going to Watford for 125k. Which seems very low for an 18 year old with that amount of potential.

Almost forgot to say, it seems he has more flair then he showed against us in the highlights above.

I think 'bulldozer' is a good way to describe him. Humphreys reminded me of Jason Roberts from those clips.

Baah was one i thought looked a really good prospect - but going to Premier League Watford will probably just see him sitting in the reserves.

Could even have a release clause like Robinson had for us when we got relegated, or possibly available due to cutting costs. Guess we'll find out if it happens.

The goal he scored when the keeper smashed into him broke his nose badly, he had to wear a mask for quite a few games after that and was still scoring goals. Kind of tells you the type of player he is.

Thanks for the info king, even if it doesn't happen its more then i could find about potential incomings.

Someone claiming on twitter that 4 players have been shown round the training ground.

Scott Fraser, Jordan Cousins, Stephen Humphrys and a Man City youngster.

Normally you would be skeptical of something like that but Humphrys has started following the club on twitter so might be some truth to at least some of it.

Humphrys would not be a bad shout at all. 23, 6'2, strong and quick - 11 goals and 4 assists for Rochdale last season - 2 against us in the 3-3 away game.

Cousins just left Stoke and has always been a very decent player he'd be a good pick up on a free.

Devante Cole who knows Fraser from Burton apparently put a message on instagram to Fraser saying 'you next' in regards to moving to Barnsley. I'm not on instagram to check but if that's right it would seem that is an indication that is happening.

The lad said same source told him about Whatmough before that got out and wasnt claiming they had signed just been there and Richardson is showing lots of players around. So I guess it's plausible as players are probably going around various clubs checking out their options.

It's Twitter so obviously has to be taken with a large pinch of salt but thought it was worth mentioning due to the Humphrys follow.

Really think they should get you into the recruitment team asap King :tophat:

Could even have a release clause like Robinson had for us when we got relegated, or possibly available due to cutting costs. Guess we'll find out if it happens.

The goal he scored when the keeper smashed into him broke his nose badly, he had to wear a mask for quite a few games after that and was still scoring goals. Kind of tells you the type of player he is.

Thanks for the info king, even if it doesn't happen its more then i could find about potential incomings.

All i did was type WAFC / Wigan into the Twitter search and see what comes up.

The release clause is a good shout, with relegation and the last year of lost revenues on top of the fact they accepted so little for Baah suggests they really aren't going to be looking for a big fee. It might even be a case he is on decent money being their record signing and they need to get him over the wage bill.

Most of the time you get nothing or clearly made up rumours - but thought the Humphrys one seemed worth sharing at least due to his Twitter activity.

I'm not getting my hopes up we will land everyone, but Whatmough, Humphreys, Cousins, Grigg and Fraser - it does seem like we have more of a budget and ambition than many of us would've expected.

Just seen an article where Karl Robinson is complaining about other teams spending power in L1. He says one club offered a defender 10k a week.

When you look around the division i'm not sure there has been a higher profile defender move than Whatmough to us - so if he is accurate and you were trying to work out who he is talking about we would seem to fit the bill, but i can't see us offering 10k a week.

Looking at other bigger clubs, I don't think Sheff Wed are in a position to offer anyone anything in their situation, Pompey are making cuts, maybe Chalrton have an offer on a player at that amount? Possibly Sunderland as they have been big spenders and have a contract to O'Nein, considering he's one of their better players and they were previously paying McGeady 18k a week, maybe he's the best fit.