The Cricket Thread | Page 125 | Vital Football

The Cricket Thread

He was 18 and also 19 when tweeting. No idea WHAT was tweeted, or how bad it was, but unless they are taking pc too far, it looks like it must have been pretty offensive and at that age, can you really say they are still kids? I don't think so.

I've seen a couple and put it this way, they'd be deleted within 10 seconds of us spotting them.

Pathetic attempt by them both to class him as a kid - if anything, he's going to get more flack now because people will point out he was literally and legally an adult under the law of the land and the presumption of 'special favours' because he's a cricketer and not a scum footballer.

Someone has it in for him that's for sure.

Brought it on himself, surely? I've never felt the need to direct the N word at anyone for instance.

At the very least, you'd think he would have deleted his account.

He's let his team down, not sure why anyone feels sorry for him, you are big enough to be a bully/troll/abusive online, then you should be big enough to take the consequences?

He was 18 and also 19 when tweeting. No idea WHAT was tweeted, or how bad it was, but unless they are taking pc too far, it looks like it must have been pretty offensive and at that age, can you really say they are still kids? I don't think so.

This was what he tweeted .

1623100303028.jpeg

This was what he tweeted .

View attachment 49381

Including one I can't remember word for word but even I went 'fuck me' as it was a string of racist cracks you'd expect from Bernard Manning when he couldn't think of a punchline. He also 'joked' about finishing over his girlfriend's face whilst she was asleep - maybe she'd been drugged was the intimation? He also used the N word - but granted there, nobody repeated the tweet so I can't judge context.

Those are the 'better' jokes he made in that screenshot Melon and that makes me fear for what outlets won't repeat.

But, that doesn't change his suspension for investigation is right. It doesn't change his apology was correct. It doesn't change the fact he has been stitched up on the timing, and it doesn't change Boris and Dowden have hung him out to dry by painting him as a teenager who didn't know what he was doing - presumably for their own benefit on the news cycle.

It also doesn't change it shouldn't end his career if he rightly demonstrates now he has changed - like we all have in the last decade. This is where Bojo and Dowden have done him no favours at all.

He's a total twat and he should've deleted them years ago, and yes he needs pulling to account, and needs to prove he's changed....but I do have some small sympathy for him as to the best of my knowledge, nobody can pull anything recent on him and that makes a difference from a dumb 18yr old possibly pissed at the point, just acting like a jokey hard man (but I say that without knowing what they won't print).

Last edited:
Including one I can't remember word for word but even I went 'fuck me' as it was a string of racist cracks you'd expect from Bernard Manning when he couldn't think of a punchline. He also 'joked' about finishing over his girlfriend's face whilst she was asleep - maybe she'd been drugged was the intimation? He also used the N word - but granted there, nobody repeated the tweet so I can't judge context.

Those are the 'better' jokes he made in that screenshot Melon.

Ah . Wasn’t aware of the others. These are widely published and were in the immediate aftermath when the story broke . Doesn’t sound like Dowden and Boris know either then as sounds like they are responding to this screenshot and not the others you have said above. Obviously can see why he is in the shit if he has said that.

I edited after, you might be interested in that if you didn't know mate.

Yes, he needed a broom over the head for the jokes (and it does appear most were dumb jokes in fairness to him) but a few were massively over the line and reports did allude to others they wouldn't print or even hint at.

I'm not that forgiving of Bojo and Dowden though, I think they've used him here as today it was hoped there would be the MP's vote on reducing foreign aid, Kent have initiated the start of legal proceedings against the Home Office as they are overwhelmed with migrant kids and so on.

For fairness here also, given the way some tweets have been cropped, it's difficult to tell on some whether he was saying them 'himself' or simply repeating back what others idiots had sent at him but he wasn't countering properly - either way it's still not good in this day and age though.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/07/susp...eets-was-over-the-top-minister-says-14729786/
https://www.nationalworld.com/news/...t-tweets-explained-as-he-is-suspended-3259332

But with all that, to use today's phrase - he shouldn't be cancelled or have his career curtailed for me...he should prove himself and become an ambassador teaching kids the pit falls of racism, sexism, social media and so on. He does that I'd applaud him.

In further fairness, people don't seem to be talking about this (Gower was almost right along my beliefs here) but another cricketer accused him of not changing as people like that were incapable, or some other bollocks, and I'm more worried about that even if Ollie was a total cock here.

There is a simple solution to all of this crap - don't do Twitter or Instagram or any of the others that are out there. If you are not prepared to say to someone's face what you type online, then don't type it. Simple really.
Didn't these kids think that their careers might be over when they typed this stuff?

There is a simple solution to all of this crap - don't do Twitter or Instagram or any of the others that are out there. If you are not prepared to say to someone's face what you type online, then don't type it. Simple really.
Didn't these kids think that their careers might be over when they typed this stuff?

9 years ago probably no.
Nowadays they should be bloody realising.

Guess the equivalent for most of us growing up before tinternet was to stand in the street shouting racist comments. Would I have done that at 18/19?. No way.

However , do I think this lads career should be completely shattered over this. No. There is a chance here to educate. He should be given a chance to make amends, be made an example of and help others not to make a 'mistake' like he has.

Last edited:
It would be in Johnsons interest to brush of racist comments from the past wouldn't it. Not as if he has ever said such things .

Pissed up 10 years ago when he was 18. I get all that , but why tweet those things ? Surely there were loads of other stuff he could have tweeted at the time . I can't quite reconcile the fact that because he was 18 and hammered that he didn't mean what he said.

I have often heard it said that a drunk man often speaks the truth , so I am not inclined to have much sympathy for the bloke.

Far more important things in the world.
The mistake they make is writing it down before they become famous because there is always some vindictive jealous crusader going to piss on your parade if you ever become famous. I wonder if they've waited 10 years for the "moment" or if they've just searched the internet for some scandal.

The world is a mad place full of self-righteous people who have never said a bad word about anyone and never done a bad thing.

Neither person is someone I'd want as a friend

Far more important things in the world.
The mistake they make is writing it down before they become famous because there is always some vindictive jealous crusader going to piss on your parade if you ever become famous. I wonder if they've waited 10 years for the "moment" or if they've just searched the internet for some scandal.

The world is a mad place full of self-righteous people who have never said a bad word about anyone and never done a bad thing.

Neither person is someone I'd want as a friend

Having been told some of the worst tweets, I am not surprised he has been suspended, pending an investigation. 18 and 19 and not just 1 or 2.

You seem to be very easily excusing racism and sexism and blasting the people who don't, instead of looking at the problem here?

People won;t have waited 10 years, someone will have looked because he was becoming of note. If he had any sense, he'd have deleted that account and started life afresh, but then, maybe he still believes the racist and sexist stuff he tweeted.

Really surprised at your take on this.

Having been told some of the worst tweets, I am not surprised he has been suspended, pending an investigation. 18 and 19 and not just 1 or 2.

You seem to be very easily excusing racism and sexism and blasting the people who don't, instead of looking at the problem here?

People won;t have waited 10 years, someone will have looked because he was becoming of note. If he had any sense, he'd have deleted that account and started life afresh, but then, maybe he still believes the racist and sexist stuff he tweeted.

Really surprised at your take on this.

Just very laid mate, like I said far worse things going on in the world than what people say on Twitter. Millions of good posters and some bad ones. I read it for football news now.
There are proper racists out there and sexists, there are murderers rapists paedophiles out there (who should be put to death) roaming about and the headlines are about a cricketer saying something on Twitter 9 years ago.
I don't know the lad, never heard of him before this week, I however very much doubt he's a racist or sexist.

Just trying to give it some perspective in the big scheme of things.

Not sure in this instance, perspective is needed mate. We all know there are bigger things going on, but then not that many things causing as much division and hatred than racism

mug you aren’t racist, you don’t post racist things do you?

the perspective for this is it is a cricket thread so the debate is valid. If it was in the worst things to ever happen thread, I’d perhaps agree with you!

the debate here is totally in context though as is the wider debate following his suspension. I don’t think anyone is comparing it to COVID or earthquakes but if we are ever going to put a lid on racism (as well never get rid of it totally) then these things have to be dealt with. Especially as the timing of this coincided with the team all lining up in anti discrimination t shirts

now that is something I am not sure helps. As this incidence perhaps illustrates. Those in glass houses and what not.

The England and Wales Cricket Board says it will take "relevant and appropriate action" after historical tweets from several England players were "questioned publicly".
On Sunday, the ECB suspended bowler Ollie Robinson from international cricket pending an investigation into tweets posted in 2012 and 2013.
It then said it was looking into reports a second England player posted historical "offensive material", before tweets by Eoin Morgan, James Anderson and Jos Buttler were highlighted.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57407788