The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 424 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what stage, with other teams changing managers, do we start to worry that some team may lure him away... why not with so many other poor managers?

At what stage, with other teams changing managers, do we start to worry that some team may lure him away... why not with so many other poor managers?

I can't it happening to be honest. Out of the proper "elite" clubs Man City and Liverpool aren't changing managers. Man Utd probably won't but if they did they won't be going for someone like Smith.

Teams like Spurs, Arsenal and Everton finished above us but they look like they're treading water or going backwards. The likes of Wolves, Palace would be insulting Smith if they ever asked him if he was interested.

The only way Smith is going anywhere is if a true giant, champions league club came for him, which would almost certainly mean he's taken us into the top 4 and won something at Villa so he might not even go then or the England job became available. Even then I doubt he'd be in the running as he's just nit seen as "glamorous". He's not a hipsters choice foreigner, a former legendary player or someone like Potter who has an army of fans because he managed in Sweden and plays pretty but ineffective football.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that Deano is going nowhere.

It's a strange one when it comes to Dean...a lot of neutrals have praised him but one wonders if he was available how many other top Prem Clubs would look at him? Similar to Ole at United - do the elite consider him an elite manager?

It's a strange one when it comes to Dean...a lot of neutrals have praised him but one wonders if he was available how many other top Prem Clubs would look at him? Similar to Ole at United - do the elite consider him an elite manager?

I don't think he ever will be considered amongst that higher tier no matter what he does because he's just not glamorous. If you asked 100 non Villa fans who the best English manager currently is I'd bet few would say Smith despite him being the highest placed English manager in the Premier league.

I don't think he ever will be considered amongst that higher tier no matter what he does because he's just not glamorous. If you asked 100 non Villa fans who the best English manager currently is I'd bet few would say Smith despite him being the highest placed English manager in the Premier league.
He's Villa Personified just like the club flys under the radar

I think for context, Smith has done a great job at taking us back to the big time and finishing half way up the league - where we should be. He’s done a great job at re-basing us but we’re now at ground zero. Success is dependent on where we go next for me.

If I think about the most successful Villa managers in my lifetime; BFR, Gregory and MON, they all finished top 6 or better, got us to Europe regularly and got us to cup finals every now and again even winning a few.

You could argue that the league is more competitive these days, but we’re a club with that financial clout now to compete. Also, there are many more non-English managers in the league so it’s not apples and apples to compare to 20 years ago however I do agree in that I think he’s ones of the most talented and progressive English managers about at the moment.

He’s got a lot of potential to learn and develop as he gets more experience in the league, and with a bit of luck, I see no reason why he can’t take us to the levels those three managers which I mentioned before achieved. Here’s hoping at least!

Silly to leave Villa at the moment, for both Dean and the players. Of all the current teams in the EPL, with our new owners, facilities, infrastructure, history and developing players - we probably are THE next team to crack that next level.

No manager has ever gone on to better. Yes, GT went to manage England, a difficult job to turn down at the time, but he (name dropping no shame here) told me once he always had the nagging doubt 'what if' he hadn't left Villa and obviously the England job didn't exactly bring much joy.

So, no, I'm not worried about El Deanio leaving. Then again, I'd not worry about any manager wanting to leave, if they don't want to be here, that's up to them and turns swiftly into a 'feck em' doesn't it?!

There's a lot of snobbery in clubs, even amongst players. If an established team is going downhill and needs a change, players tend to expect a big name manager, and things can be difficult for a comparative rookie. Hence Rogers was looked down on at Liverpool, Martinez at Everton, etc.

Thats a really interesting little fact, I think it is just ingrained in many English fans that English players are not as good as their European counterparts and the same for her managers.

I think the truth is that few English managers get real chances and the ones who do get a chance don't get it on managerial merit. Thats even the case for some English players. The irony about it all is that Mount wouldn't be where he is only for an English manager who never should have got the job. I think Chelsea were dying to get their German wonderkids in to replace their younger "inferior" English talent.

What I appreciate about Dean is that he is trying to play his own brand of football. He didnt go to Germany like Lambert and make the lads piss about with the ball. We press less than the German style, we play it forward quicker than the Spanish but we're less direct than traditional English styles.

So basically he'd be a very good answer to use to that question on TV show Pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.