Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 18 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

For me:-

Palmer - we should be looking to do better
TJ - would welcome him back
Morton - not League One standard. Not for the way we play anyway
Johnson & Rogers - will want to play higher for their development

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a front three of Anderson, Hopper, and Elbouzedi, with Scully playing just behind Hopper.

It'd be interesting to see Morton again, I think he's been hugely unlucky this season. Here well into pre-season because of Northampton's late finish, injured early on and when he did come back, he was having to play as a lone striker, a position he hasn't really played.

Morton wide of a front three would probably give us a better idea of what he's capable of.

Sometimes you just have to admit a mistake, and move on.

For me:-

Palmer - we should be looking to do better
TJ - would welcome him back
Morton - not League One standard. Not for the way we play anyway
Johnson & Rogers - will want to play higher for their development

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a front three of Anderson, Hopper, and Elbouzedi, with Scully playing just behind Hopper.

Palmer played 58 games for us this season and as the keeper in a League 1 team that was in the top 3 for almost the entire season, somehow that is not good enough?

Morton did well at Northampton because he was playing in a 4-4-2 formation off Oliver as a big front man - he's not robust enough to play a lone striker role

This exactly, he isn’t a Hopper so playing in that role we certainly didn’t see the best of him. Having said that, I am not sure MA intends on playing a different system and the echo piece today mentions strikers potentially coming in, so we shall se if he comes back or we look elsewhere.

MAPP did say one option was to play Hopper / Morton as a front 2. I think there were very few opportunities for that to happen given the timing of their injuries.

It'd be interesting to see Morton again, I think he's been hugely unlucky this season. Here well into pre-season because of Northampton's late finish, injured early on and when he did come back, he was having to play as a lone striker, a position he hasn't really played.

Morton wide of a front three would probably give us a better idea of what he's capable of.
Yes, he's been unlucky. But he hasn't the pace to play wide in a front 3. Feels like he hit a purple patch at the end of last season which has flattered to deceive.

I suspect we may be seeing less loan players this year. I can't see how the buy young prospects cheap and sell on model works where nearly half the team are loanees. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but praise for our performance this year and the loans were a massive part of it, but I don't think it satisfies the model.

I'm looking forward to seeing a fit Max Sanders after a proper preseason - seen glimpses that he could be a central part of the mid field next season. Will almost be like a new signing anyway.

Well Michael has had more hits than misses so far , so he has my backing 100%.
I'm sure bigger clubs will look on favourably seeing as how well the loan players have done and players coming in will be equally as impressed I'm sure.

On Palmer, I'd be happy if we signed him again but equally happy to move on. I think people who are saying we can do better are right in the sense that he has weaknesses in his game (low shots from range and kicking). He also has some huge strengths that have helped us get to where we are. He's a very good keeper, but maybe we could find a more complete gem.

I'm not convinced on morton full stop tbh. I know he was trying but it wasn't just the target man stuff that was off but even running the channels etc he got a bit bullied. Would be fine if he was banging goals in left right and centre or getting on crosses but two league goals? Tough season for him with his injuries but the drop off from hopper was really high. And I'd have him fifth choice wide even if that would be better for him.

To add to the loanee debate, it can’t be good for team morale if your place is being taken by a loanee. It would beg the question “why did I sign”. No automatic right to a starting spot but but perhaps some angst in the loanee, permanent debate.

With regards to Palmer I dont think he will be back next season for the simple reason I think we will be looking to sign a keeper on full time.with Ross almost certain to leave as well. I cannot see us only having one permanent keeper on the books.
Morton is only a young man and I wish him all the best but I can't see him back next season. More likely a league two loan or move for him. Hope he proves me wrong but not good enough for a side hoping to be challenging for promotion in league one.

Ethan Ross is out of contract; Sam Long needs a loan deal and some matches - can see him at Boston/Gainsborough if he's guaranteed a shirt.
Think we'll loan someone's U23 keeper or outside chance of signing a veteran for two years when we can take a view on Sam Long. Palmer has been slightly disappointing, but only due to the high standards before Christmas. His record has been amazing for a first year at this level. Would have him back if there's no opening at West Brom.

This exactly, he isn’t a Hopper so playing in that role we certainly didn’t see the best of him. Having said that, I am not sure MA intends on playing a different system and the echo piece today mentions strikers potentially coming in, so we shall se if he comes back or we look elsewhere.

To be fair to Morton, after his lengthy spell out with the freak shoulder injury, don't you think a couple of months in the gym, working on upper body strength, might remedy that situation?

With regards to Palmer I dont think he will be back next season for the simple reason I think we will be looking to sign a keeper on full time.with Ross almost certain to leave as well. I cannot see us only having one permanent keeper on the books.
Morton is only a young man and I wish him all the best but I can't see him back next season. More likely a league two loan or move for him. Hope he proves me wrong but not good enough for a side hoping to be challenging for promotion in league one.
He has literally just played every league game for a team that finished 5th and was in the top three for most of the season until our injury crisis and two Covid outbreaks. Something like 18 clean sheets over the season. He is clearly good enough for the top 6 of this league.

He has literally just played every league game for a team that finished 5th and was in the top three for most of the season until our injury crisis and two Covid outbreaks. Something like 18 clean sheets over the season. He is clearly good enough for the top 6 of this league.
I think he was talking about Morton, or at least that's how I read it!

I think most feel that we never really saw the real Morton due to the length of time he was out. You can see his potential, but not as a lone striker.

Palmer for me was great all season and would be more then welcome back. I think that the one very good game Bursik had has clouded some judgements. Could Bursik have done what Alex managed for nearly 60 games? Not many were suggesting that in the 3-3 match at Posh

Alex Palmer has been the best, most consistent goalkeeper this club has seen this century. It would be very difficult to do better in League One. But hey, by all means let's try. Name names if you like!
Palmer has been slightly disappointing, but only due to the high standards before Christmas. His record has been amazing for a first year at this level. Would have him back if there's no opening at West Brom.

His form largely tracked that of the team.
To add to the loanee debate, it can’t be good for team morale if your place is being taken by a loanee. It would beg the question “why did I sign”. No automatic right to a starting spot but but perhaps some angst in the loanee, permanent debate.

I think footballers below the prima donnas and superstars are a little more pragmatic than that. Certainly more so during a pandemic when so many pros couldn't find a club.

Last edited: