Match Thread: Lincoln City v Blackpool | Page 35 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Blackpool

Well, today was one hell of an experience, and worth every penny.

Arrived at Wembley just after 12, we were taken to our table, had a three-course meal, which was superb, we got through a few bottles of wine, and I also had a couple of Ciders, and the service was outstanding.

Maybe not. He’s been brilliant this season, I don’t know what’s needed to to be able to step up. However, against a side which will be stepping up he was lacking. Tbh, he’s not been the same since his come back from his ankle injury.

I'd agree 100% with that. Hasn't hit the same heights since his injury

What was up with the support today btw? I ended up sneaking a corporate ticket (I know) so wasn't in with the bulk of the city fans but Blackpool seemed way louder. I'm not sure if our singers looked clustered in the corner and I know it was a bloody weird set up but I was a bit disappointed, Blackpool seemed to manage to get around it. Genuinely think our support could have helped roar us on a bit more especially after a first minute goal but I couldn't hear anything...

Maybe it sounded different in our end and I was slightly towards them but it didn't seem great.

I was saying what I felt, I spent today with family who worked in ICU and three other departments in Lincoln county hospital during the two waves, so far. They have been my darkest days, sorry if it offends you but I am proud to be British.
Weird stuff .I'm not offended .Proud to be British Eh? Thats got fuck all to do with todays football match though , has it?

The only disappointing thing for me today really (apart from the bent Ref) was the Imps support.

Most of them looked like old men sat down sunbathing and all that was missing were knotted hankerchiefs. Blackpool fans sang constantly, but hardly heard a peep out of our lot 😩
Yes very subdued tho Wembley can be awful for atmosphere even with a full house
Just get the feeling it’s been a long year/season for a lot of folk and getting back into football will take a while

What I mean is the fans you are criticising obviously feel it quite deeply and obviously have a strong affiliation with the club. Probably their local club. (You can choose your friends but not your club.) They could avoid this problem by ignoring Lincoln and supporting Man City of Chelski but they choose not too. That would be the easy option. But they don't. Despite all the brilliant progress of the last six years there's a hell of a lot of hurt that has been experienced by a lot of die hard fans. I think a certain amount of disappointment is understandable for those that have waited 60 years. Allow them some licence. We don't all live in euroland.
Understand entirely the disappointment that we didn’t perform to our early season levels, but in all honesty we haven’t played like that for the last couple of months (apart from glimpses), even though we’ve had key players back from injury. Not all of those have performed to their previous level. What I take from the game is that we have a young squad who have performed superbly this season, coached by someone we are lucky to have and who has gelled them into a force to be reckoned with. We were within one or two goals of being promoted to the Championship. In summary, we are a work in progress and, depending on summer recruitment, could well be up there again next year. well done to the players but don’t take anything away from Critchley and Blackpool who did a very professional job on us.

Critchley brought in 17 and 21 left, great achievement and probably explains their slow start.
Similar to us they were reliant on loan players and again same as us replacing them will be key.

What was up with the support today btw? I ended up sneaking a corporate ticket (I know) so wasn't in with the bulk of the city fans but Blackpool seemed way louder. I'm not sure if our singers looked clustered in the corner and I know it was a bloody weird set up but I was a bit disappointed, Blackpool seemed to manage to get around it. Genuinely think our support could have helped roar us on a bit more especially after a first minute goal but I couldn't hear anything...

Maybe it sounded different in our end and I was slightly towards them but it didn't seem great.
I have answered this question( big moan actually) on LC Banter. The Imps fans stayed distanced throughout with the 617 being the only ‘social bubble’. As the game progressed the Blackpool fans just moved in together along the rows behind the goal and at one side creating a wall of sound which we law abiding fans could not do. One person would start a chant in my area, he was probably 5 yards from me, I joined in and one other 10 yards from him and so nothing got going. It was very frustrating. I do think though that some of our ST holders are quiet. I sit in the ‘ Library’ at the LNER, trying to make it not so!,😂😂

I don't agree with the rules re face masks in grounds and every other seat vacant, but stuck to them for the sake of others. On the subject of stewards, I found every one I came across to be very friendly and polite. They don't make the rules but have to enforce them. I was in block 116 and a group of about 30 came in en masse. One idiot threw an almost full bottle after 2nd Blackpool goal which could have hurt one of our own fans. Older bloke in group, clearly under influence, constantly eyeballing and threatening one of our own fans. No cure for stupid

I don't agree with the rules re face masks in grounds and every other seat vacant, but stuck to them for the sake of others. On the subject of stewards, I found every one I came across to be very friendly and polite. They don't make the rules but have to enforce them. I was in block 116 and a group of about 30 came in en masse. One idiot threw an almost full bottle after 2nd Blackpool goal which could have hurt one of our own fans. Older bloke in group, clearly under influence, constantly eyeballing and threatening one of our own fans. No cure for stupid
The stewards I approached were excellent and very helpful, they had rules obviously about social distancing to enforce, sitting in the right seat, and face masks to enforce which they certainly did near to me. My 'neighbour' was very supportive of the Imps to start with but as the game went on started to get angry, argued with the stewards and was lucky not to get ejected. Bit of an embarrassment. He left well before the end.

It was clear Blackpool fans (about 500) decided to ignore the requirements for seating and stand behind the goal. And the stewards clearly thought we can't deal with 500 so left them to it.

That was enough of a collective to start the noise.

Meanwhile if I so much as breathed too quickly in our end, the steward was on me like a shot.

Safety in numbers.

Having said that- for whatever reason- Blackpool just sang yesterday. Maybe a release after years of the Oystons. Maybe a celebration. Who knows.

They weren't that loud in the semis (at least not on TV).

It is what it is

FB Banter has several threads about crowd noise but almost no threads about the game, the disappointment in the result etc. Which says all you need to know about that page

I'd hoped for a good performance - the wrong result was never going to disappoint me after the wonderful season we have enjoyed but it was a shame to end on a low level show, particularly compared with what has gone before.

Why did it happen? I've no idea but I remain immensely proud of our club and look forward to moving up through the gears next season

UTI

Just from watching on the TV, our fans being in the part of the ground facing into the sun all match seemed spaced out as required. When they cut to the Blackpool fans many had lumped themselves together behind the goal, and in shadow. Did those two factors affect our fans today??

Yes it was noticeable. When they cut to the Blackpool fans they were in a big huddle, most without masks, standing up celebrating. Why did the stewards at that end not enforce rules to the same extent?

Answered by Strangely Brown above.
The fact they held the lead for most of the second half obviously helped their mood.