Retained & Released: | Page 3 | Vital Football

Retained & Released:

Kendrick reporting that Massey triggered the extension - given he would never have got a better deal anywhere given his injury history you can't blame him tbh - question is will he put in any effort or (again) completely take the piss out of our club again next season 🤔

I find that story a bit strange. If Massey was going to be granted a choice to decide he wanted a 3rd year why wasn't he given a 3 year contract initially?

I've heard of contract extensions being triggered by a number of appearances or clubs having the option to extend but not sure if I've ever heard of a player having the right to decide he gets another year himself even if the club don't want it.

That just doesn't sound right to me.

I find that story a bit strange. If Massey was going to be granted a choice to decide he wanted a 3rd year why wasn't he given a 3 year contract initially?

I've heard of contract extensions being triggered by a number of appearances or clubs having the option to extend but not sure if I've ever heard of a player having the right to decide he gets another year himself even if the club don't want it.

Me too but as tweeted by Kendrick

Not sure what point you are driving at here?
Big Massey fan ? Think he's been good value for money? Don't think he's mugging us off?
Please share
A fan of an in-form Massey.
He was in-form for a few games last season.
Still a bit of a hero for what he did at Leeds.
Still hope he can reproduce what he did at Stoke.
Don't think he in any way deserves an allegation of leeching.

If you believe Gav has not taken the piss either on or off the pitch last year crack on
That having the ability to have another year leeching off our club is OK again crack on

You're right about his first half of the season - he was the worst of a bad bunch and looked like he couldn't be arsed. But I think Evans was performing badly too and also looked disinterested at the time. I don't think any of the senior players hearts were in it back then.

When the team started improving Massey and Evans both finally started picking up form but while Evans stayed fit and continued to improve Massey got injured again.

If we got the first part of the season Massey then we are screwed but if we get the later season Massey he's got something to offer.

I certainly wouldn't have kept him given the choice but since he's here now I guess we've got to hope he has a good summer and preseason to get 100% fit and sharp and he finds his mojo again. There is certainly a player in him - we just barely see it.

Because as you know it covers the club if he turns out to be a roaring success and attempts to run his contract down in a bid to join another team should we not wish to sell. Basically keeps us from getting stiffed in the transfer market.

However, it's common that a player could also has the same clause, for moments like this. It gives the player insurance if he's out of contract but doesn't believe he'll be able to find a move for similar wages elsewhere (which Massey won't).

He's 28 years old with biscuit hamstrings. The only way through the EFL pyramid is downwards for him going forward and he knows it. This is his last big payday and he's ensuring his financial security by taking every last penny of it. The balls in LR's court now in terms of what to do with him. Either use him and accept the massive drain on the wage bill, or go to the owners and ask them to try and negotiate a golden handshake with Massey.

He's going to be amongst the highest paid players in L1 next season which is criminal really. I feel sorry for the new owners who have to stump up the cash through no fault of their own. This could prevent us from being able to offer the likes of Johnston the wages he'll probably want to stay.

Just because Owen Evans has been offered a new contract, doesn't necessarily mean he won't be loaned out. If that is the case, then it's a win win really for us.

If he does go out and performs well,then great, if not someone else pays his wages.

Not sure what point you are driving at here?
Big Massey fan ? Think he's been good value for money? Don't think he's mugging us off?
Please share

Can you explain that please, haven't you proudly told us all on here that you didn't pay for any games last season, so would it be fair to say he may have mugged some off who did buy games, but not you.

I once had an Audi TT soft top back in the day. A thing of beauty no doubt that was a head turner but it only came out the garage on Sundays , top down posing. Wife eventually told ( ordered )me to fuck it off as it simply wasn't worth the outlay. She had a point.

Its a bit like offering Gav a new contract.

I once had an Audi TT soft top back in the day. A thing of beauty no doubt that was a head turner but it only came out the garage on Sundays , top down posing. Wife eventually told ( ordered )me to fuck it off as it simply wasn't worth the outlay. She had a point.

Its a bit like offering Gav a new contract.

Never had you down as a hairdresser Hindley.

:halo:

Can't say I disagree too much with that retained list although I hope we go back in with offers for Tilt & Johnston when their current deals at their parent clubs expire.

I've got to say that I'll be disappointed of we don't recruit an additional keeper over the summer, with the idea being that they're #1 - don't mind Jones as a back up, but over a prolonged run in the team his flaws get exposed too regularly. I'd love Evans to be ready to step in to the breach but he looked very shaky in the games he played & whilst he may have grown in to the role given time, the club couldn't afford to wait for that & had to go with the more proven of the two

With any luck we'll get a full medical team in & get Massey's injury issues sorted. We've seen that he's more than capable at this level when on form. He's capable of some stinkers too but then so are all players

Can you explain that please, haven't you proudly told us all on here that you didn't pay for any games last season, so would it be fair to say he may have mugged some off who did buy games, but not you.
To be accurate - understanding that's an issue for you - deal agreed etc - I did not pay for any games until the admins left - as for the "us" I was referring to the club rather than myself personally trust that clarifies.
If you believe Massey is good value for money fair enough IMO the last 2 years return on cost is pitiful

Keeper is a must and the management team will know that. Jamie Jones will know that. He spent 3 years as back up and circumstances meant he became number 1.

Massey is now nearly 2 years on from his best form but he did look OK at turn of year when we picked up a few results. I don't know how his legs will hold up though. If he is staying and collecting good money we have to manage him correctly. No more stints at right back like last winter (I know that wasn't leam)