Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City | Page 51 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City

Bit late to the party but what a season, bloody hell.

I didn't think we'd get 90 minutes out of Walsh but it was a surprise McGrandles wasn't in for Scully. Going there with four up top and Grant in CM was a little risky but no surprise we settled better when we made the HT double change. Walsh improves us no end at the back.

Poole reminds be a bit of Tom Miller in the sense that he's not the tallest but had a good spring on him.

I think it was picked up in the first leg but Hopper works a back four, brings others into play and is willing to work for a chance yet Wyke relies on McGeady or someone putting it on his head. Hopper a far better all round player at this level despite the latter scoring more goals. So selfless.

What a shock to see a January signing perform much better in a new season.

Hopper is very good in the air defensively, wins a lot of headers and usually heads it well clear. I wonder whether he could convert to a centre back as he gets older?

Bit late to the party but what a season, bloody hell.

I didn't think we'd get 90 minutes out of Walsh but it was a surprise McGrandles wasn't in for Scully. Going there with four up top and Grant in CM was a little risky but no surprise we settled better when we made the HT double change. Walsh improves us no end at the back.

Poole reminds be a bit of Tom Miller in the sense that he's not the tallest but had a good spring on him.

I think it was picked up in the first leg but Hopper works a back four, brings others into play and is willing to work for a chance yet Wyke relies on McGeady or someone putting it on his head. Hopper a far better all round player at this level despite the latter scoring more goals. So selfless.

What a shock to see a January signing perform much better in a new season.

Poole's possibly the best header of a ball in the entire squad. I think he's going to be a cracking player for us and I have been very impressed with him of late. You have to feel for Bramall a bit, not getting a single minute in either play-off semi, when he was getting a regular run of games before that. Not that we needed him in the end, though.

Poole's possibly the best header of a ball in the entire squad. I think he's going to be a cracking player for us and I have been very impressed with him of late. You have to feel for Bramall a bit, not getting a single minute in either play-off semi, when he was getting a regular run of games before that. Not that we needed him in the end, though.
No he's not, he's shit.

I see that LJ is complaining about the penalty call in the first half. He suggests that the play offs should employ VAR.

Perhaps they should - we would probably have been awarded a penalty in the first leg and maybe gone into the second leg three up...

A lot of this is driven by the Sunderland Chronicle looking for click bait. There is also another article on there from not long after the game quoting two people saying that "you've seen 'em given, but it wud 'ave bin a soft one for me" and "he's not touched him enough for Stewart to go down".

At the end of the day, Wyke's chance was a bigger miss than the penalty shout, as was his missed follow up when McGeady hit the post, so perhaps the real complaint should be them being so hard up they had to employ a builder's labourer instead of a footballer as a striker.

Johnson just wants to deflect the loss away from himself. He can't blame the players because he told the chairman he could get them up this year, so he has to identify a villain to mask his own culpability.

A lot of this is driven by the Sunderland Chronicle looking for click bait. There is also another article on there from not long after the game quoting two people saying that "you've seen 'em given, but it wud 'ave bin a soft one for me" and "he's not touched him enough for Stewart to go down".

At the end of the day, Wyke's chance was a bigger miss than the penalty shout, as was his missed follow up when McGeady hit the post, so perhaps the real complaint should be them being so hard up they had to employ a builder's labourer instead of a footballer as a striker.

Johnson just wants to deflect the loss away from himself. He can't blame the players because he told the chairman he could get them up this year, so he has to identify a villain to mask his own culpability.
I noticed in the build up to both games that their local press don't half but lots of repeat articles out under different headlines. Once you've read one, you've read twenty.

I think Keith Hackett must have had the wrong glasses on, when Palmer approached Stewart if you look really closely Stewart was on the way down before Palmer touched him, and thats what the referee saw, and in any case Palmer did get a touch on the ball with toe of boot.I think MA had already told the players to be fully aware of the cheating.