The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 81 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Often think our big name signings turn out to be a bit of a disappointment, so I am a little cautious and not entirely sure if we can attract the top level.
Keeping hold of Jack is the highest priority for me, as I dont think we are in a position to sign anyone of his ability.

Not sure a 'statement' signing is our style. Leave that to the flash Super League wannabees. It could wreck our team ethic, our identity, not to mention wage structure. I'm all for spending big on the right player - but not for the sake of waving our willies around.

Often think our big name signings turn out to be a bit of a disappointment, so I am a little cautious and not entirely sure if we can attract the top level.
Keeping hold of Jack is the highest priority for me, as I dont think we are in a position to sign anyone of his ability.
Totally agree with this.Keeping Jack is number one on the list.

Lots of talk on social media this morning about us looking to make a bid of £7m for Celtic's David Turnbull.

He has recently been called up to the Scotland senoir squad after impressing with 9 goals and 8 assists in his debut season.

https://sportslens.com/aston-villa-keen-on-celtic-midfielder-david-turnbull/357424/
Good dead ball delivery and *seems* to be a good attacking mid, but I honestly don't know how you make an assessment of someone who plays in that league - half the pitches look like they've been ploughed and there's so much time and space on the ball it's at best a coin toss if they'll mix it in the PL.

Good dead ball delivery and *seems* to be a good attacking mid, but I honestly don't know how you make an assessment of someone who plays in that league - half the pitches look like they've been ploughed and there's so much time and space on the ball it's at best a coin toss if they'll mix it in the PL.
There are always a few exceptions but overall on average the SPL is a poor standard and unless someone is clearly special and is head and shoulders above the rest then they probably aren’t that good.

People will point out McGinn, but he joined us in the championship and took a while to get up to speed, improving throughout that first season. The only one I can think of recently who came straight into the PL and was a top player straight away was Van Dijk.

Who would you say is equal to JG and could influence the team as much? If you look at Foden as comparable, he's actually valued higher than Jack on Transfermarkt - shocking, I know and I doubt he would be the influence that Jack is. So, for me, every season that SJG is at the club is a statement signing.

IMO Turnbull would be a risk coming from the SPL. I can't see how he would be any better than what we already have. Surely it's time to sign proven players that will go instantly into the first team and be capable of getting us into the top 6.

There are always a few exceptions but overall on average the SPL is a poor standard and unless someone is clearly special and is head and shoulders above the rest then they probably aren’t that good.

People will point out McGinn, but he joined us in the championship and took a while to get up to speed, improving throughout that first season. The only one I can think of recently who came straight into the PL and was a top player straight away was Van Dijk.

Yes, Van Dijk always looked a class above the rest when he was at Celtic. I personally thought McGinn got up to speed pretty quickly but as you say it was the Championship. This would also be my worry with Edouard, which is another rumour doing the rounds today. He's knocked a few goals in but I would have expected more if he was good enough for the PL.

I think the terms 'statement signing' and 'marquee signings' should be banned. I think the idea we need those sorts of signings to demonstrate we are back is a non sequitur.

We need improvements to the first team. These do not have to be big names, they just need to be of the quality required to push us forward.

Fair point and I agree, especially the term 'marquee' signing, but to me 'statement' signing should be more of a statement of intent from the board to the fans rather than to the football world in general.

There are no guaranteed successes when it comes to signings, but some are a lot more likely to be, and usually they are top pedigree, are well known and cost a lot of money. It would be nice to bring in someone like that.

IMO Turnbull would be a risk coming from the SPL. I can't see how he would be any better than what we already have. Surely it's time to sign proven players that will go instantly into the first team and be capable of getting us into the top 6.
The age old question is who? They have to want to come, we have to be able to afford their fee and their wages and then their existing club has to want to sell. I think Buendia is PL ready, but will Norwich sell? Tammy is also ready and it looks like Pereira might be. All would be great additions IMHO, but they wouldn't send shockwaves to other PL clubs.

Think we'd be happy enough though :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.