SB and EPC Pitches | Vital Football

SB and EPC Pitches

The pitch(es) have been one of the few areas of discontent, particularly from the managers, during the last 5 glorious years.

Initially we went for a cheaper, less established company and drainage appeared to be an issue.

Last year we had the horrendous rain and flooding but at least this year we moved to the bespoke pitch management company.

That didn't stop the pitch still being referenced by MA a few times though.

Perhaps the management company tried to salvage the pitch installed by the former company but have decided it's a lost cause.

Perhaps the pitch was simply 'wrong' for the style of play required by MA.

Perhaps the pitch would have been ok going forward but the club decided it was an important enough issue to actually upgrade and invest in it significantly.

All pure guess work and speculation on my part, but like Hoof it would be interesting to find out what the latest issue was and the spec. for the latest fix/upgrade.

Hopefully if they sort the drainage then we won't have any waterlogged postponements when the Sincil Drain overflows

Just a quick question though...did I read it right earlier that Hortin mentioned in a tweet that it won't be ready until 2 weeks into the next season??

Just a quick question though...did I read it right earlier that Hortin mentioned in a tweet that it won't be ready until 2 weeks into the next season??
He said a week or two into the new season, so i guess we will be asking to play away for the first week.

Did I read something somewhere that the top clubs pitches have some sort of combination/hybrid surface so they are more resilient and maintain their stability (& looks) under difficult weather and wear conditions?

There have been lots of complaints since we laid the new pitch that the ball doesn't run true. I guess that if the drainage has either been inadequate from the start, or has collapsed/clogged in places there will be differential water retention in the sub-soil and lateral movement causing dips across the pitch. Even small dips are going to deflect the true run of the ball as it is played across the floor.

Did I hear if we get a home draw in the League Cup which I think starts before the League campaign we may have to forfeit the game as the pitch will not be ready ? No chance of a home draw anyway though.

Last edited:
Did I hear if we get a home draw in the League Cup which I thinks starts before the League campaign we may have to forfeit the game as the pitch will not be ready ? No chance of a home draw anyway though.

We didn't really give that competition a go (proof is in the pudding where we got to in the end obviously) even when we got Liverpool at home so can't imagine it's a huge priority...

Did I hear if we get a home draw in the League Cup which I thinks starts before the League campaign we may have to forfeit the game as the pitch will not be ready ? No chance of a home draw anyway though.
You don't forfeit it, just ask for a switch of venue i.e. play at the opponents place.