Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 2 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

I don't think it would - I imagine it would get most of the regulars juices going but someone who hasn't bought a ST for a while or even someone who's never bought one still won't even if Grigg were to join. Our ST sales were never that high when he was here last time
Far higher than what they’ll be this coming season though. Unless he was to return... Certainly you are vastly underestimating his reputation in Wigan. It goes further than his ability on the pitch as you should know.

On another note, I had a quick look at the attendance for the last game with fans (Luton). 9k Latics fans were at the DW for that game. More than I originally thought. How many will we retain for the first game of next season? It’s fair to say that there will be a significant drop. How significant though?

Far higher than what they’ll be this coming season though. Unless he was to return... Certainly you are vastly underestimating his reputation in Wigan. It goes further than his ability on the pitch as you should know.

Do you mean last time Grigg was here and we were in the Championship and before a global pandemic which has seen some people realise that they’ve other priorities for their hard earned cash & during which time we entered administration and saw 9 months of the club being stripped of virtually all its assets and fighting a gruelling relegation battle from League 1.
That’s what is going to have impacted attendances

As much as a cult hero as Grigg was (and probably still is to a certain extent), signing him, whilst welcome, is not going to have any serious impact on season ticket sales

On another note, I had a quick look at the attendance for the last game with fans (Luton). 9k Latics fans were at the DW for that game. More than I originally thought. How many will we retain for the first game of next season? It’s fair to say that there will be a significant drop. How significant though?

That was for a Championship game in a season that had probably seen an increase in ST sales due to the run of form at the end of the season before.
Instead of playing the like of Leeds, West Brom and co (which more people want to see) Latics will be playing the likes of Cheltenham, Cambridge & Bolton (with no disrespect meant to the first two of those clubs).

So yeah I agree that ST sales will probably fall compared to the 19/20 season, although we can hope that there’s a bit of a Bahraini bounce so they don’t fall too much

Yes we do, young Robinson needs another season in U23s Tom Pearce is a bit injury prone and Darikwa is garbage

To be fair I think Robinson is ready and more than a suitable back up for Pearce.

I'm not sure if Pearce is injury prone more he just had one big bad injury.

Darikwa certain isnt perfect but overall I think he is a good player for this level.

If we keep all 3 we probably need another right back to challenge Darikwa.

I am hoping the new owners have a bit of an idea on how to market the club, that might help get some fans back in the ground.

I honestly don't think they can do much through market or ticket prices to raise attendances significantly - previous owners tried all sorts but in the end the only times attendance rose was glamorous opposition or success.

Unfortunately I think the interest just isn't there in L1 football in the town outside those who already go.

Our best bet might be to try and focus heavily on attracting kids and try and grow the next generation. In the past we did a lot of that and it seemed to be working but I've not heard as much about it in recent years and there doesn't seem to be as many young fans as there once was.

I've often thought we should have the clapper things that make all the noise at Leicester. I think it would help with the atmosphere in the stadium especially when it's only a third full.

It's obvious that having a good atmosphere helps the players, as fans it's one thing we can directly do to help our side but unfortunately not enough of us at the DW seem to play our part.

Obviously having a stadium that big and a crowd so small makes it harder, but even if we only have 5k fans in a 25k seater we can create a good atmosphere if everyone is getting involved.

You understand not everyone is going to scream and sing at the top of their lungs, but we've got so many fans who are there rain or shine, long term season ticket holders who don't even clap or cheer unless a goal goes in. If they are there that often they must be passionate about it, but they don't show it - i've never got that.

I think ultimately as a fanbase we need to up our game at the DW when it comes to creating an atmosphere - not sure how you do that but too often the place feels dead rather than having a buzz and it must be a bit depressing for the players to see that when they go away and see some other fan bases giving their side more support.

Really not sure how ST sales will go for any club really, people will have less money, some will be uncomfortable with going to grounds and some will have lost interest and of course, we've dropped a division. Seen various comments around the net and don't think some people realise what a mess the club is in and how much of a rebuild it is. Just taking ST's, if the club announced details tomorrow and said they start sales next Friday, if you have a question or issue, who do you ring, we've hardly any staff. It's a massive job on and off the pitch and there will be many things need sorting, that most of us won't even think of

Really not sure how ST sales will go for any club really, people will have less money, some will be uncomfortable with going to grounds and some will have lost interest and of course, we've dropped a division. Seen various comments around the net and don't think some people realise what a mess the club is in and how much of a rebuild it is. Just taking ST's, if the club announced details tomorrow and said they start sales next Friday, if you have a question or issue, who do you ring, we've hardly any staff. It's a massive job on and off the pitch and there will be many things need sorting, that most of us won't even think of
They were advertising for ticket office staff the other week so its pretty pointless selling season tickets until we have staff in place to deal with demand and follow-up questions as you say

Well to me personally and a fair few lads who I go with are raring to get back into the DW & watching live matches....not to mention the get together for drinks pre match & the moaning of it after the match.....

Well to me personally and a fair few lads who I go with are raring to get back into the DW & watching live matches....not to mention the get together for drinks pre match & the moaning of it after the match.....

Agree with that, just wonder if there might be a few more people that we might think, who don't share that feeling for all sorts of reasons. It's just a complete unknown...but despite that, hopefully there's plenty of us who can't wait to just get back to the match and have that match day feeling and all that routine that's special to each one of us

Last edited:
Given what the club has been through and the fact it was almost liquidated I’d have thought all Latics fans will be raring to get back, regardless of the division we’re now in and the re build job ahead.

The hardcore who go all the time will - but the more casuals probably not so much.

If those type of fans were a bit indifferent when we were in higher division, with quite a decent set of players - then living without it for a season and a half, all the players they knew leaving and playing in a level below will probably be a hard sell. Especially if some folks disposable income isn't where it was pre lockdown. I don't think nearly losing the club will motivate many to come more often or start attending as the fans who really cared and are counting their blessings we survived will be the ones already attending.

If we can get the average attendance we had in our last L1 season i think we'll have done well. I think most clubs will be in the same boat.