The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 413 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we did get to a cup final last season, even if we didn't win it.

Next season it would be nice to get to another cup final, which if we improve squad depth is a reasonable aim. And once there I think we'd have a good crack at winning it. And it would be nice to qualify for Europe. My guess is that the owners are thinking of two years to achieve those aims. But for next season they'll want to see tangible progress, obviously. I suspect top 8 would keep them happy, even top 10 (taking into account we've over-performed this season).

What we've done this year is leap-frog the perennial survivors; Newcastle, Palace, Brighton, Southampton, Burnley. I bet most thought we'd be competing with them.

What we've done this year is leap-frog the perennial survivors; Newcastle, Palace, Brighton, Southampton, Burnley. I bet most thought we'd be competing with them.

Perennial survivors, has a ring too it and absolutely spot on. No ambition, no interest and no plan. The next goal as you say is to catch up with the flounders Everton, Spurs and Arsenal. Two clubs with delusions of grandeur and one who have been similar to ourselves (Everton).

We've been afforded an incredible opportunity if we can properly build on this season as well. Arsenal are shell, Spurs are on the downtrend too and I just don't think Ancelotti is that interested at Everton. I would argue all 3 need more investment than us. Its easier for us to go and build a better attack than it is for them to sort out their defenses IMO.

Perennial survivors, has a ring too it and absolutely spot on. No ambition, no interest and no plan. The next goal as you say is to catch up with the flounders Everton, Spurs and Arsenal. Two clubs with delusions of grandeur and one who have been similar to ourselves (Everton).

We've been afforded an incredible opportunity if we can properly build on this season as well. Arsenal are shell, Spurs are on the downtrend too and I just don't think Ancelotti is that interested at Everton. I would argue all 3 need more investment than us. Its easier for us to go and build a better attack than it is for them to sort out their defenses IMO.
If Spurs lose Kane this close season expect them to bomb big time.

Just wondering ok....... we all know Dean Smith is a Villa supporter.

Does that mean he'll be manager for eternity?........

:shake:

Don't be ridiculous.

I haven't read one person say that.

Some would get rid now.

Some would think no way would they get rid now as 3 years of progress has been seen.

But the latter universally are now saying that next season is the tipping point for Smith either way.

Don't be ridiculous.

I haven't read one person say that.

Some would get rid now.

Some would think no way would they get rid now as 3 years of progress has been seen.

But the latter universally are now saying that next season is the tipping point for Smith either way.

As I said, I was only wondering.

Though I do feel he's reached his tipping point.

Personally, I don't care who a manager supports as long as he can do his bloody job.

The thing with Smith is, whenever his time at villa is over I can't see any other Prem team wanting him, I think he'd be back in the championship.
Brentford haven't exactly missed him.

I've thought for a long time now that just like John Gregory, Aston Villa FC may well be the biggest job in football Dean Smith will have in the game.

I hope for his sake he dosn't blow it but he's not doing himself any favours at the moment.

He also sounds like a stuck record after games saying this went wrong, that went wrong, they did this or they did that while he dosn't fix what he says he knows is wrong and it's back to script next game.

Bizarre way for a manager to go on and not a recipe for success I'm sorry to say.

Last edited:
I've thought for a long time now that just like John Gregory, Aston Villa FC may well be the biggest job in football Dean Smith will have in the game.

I hope for his sake he dosn't blow it but he's not doing himself any favours at the moment.

He also sounds like a stuck record after games saying this went wrong, that went wrong, they did this or they did that while he dosn't fix what he says he knows is wrong and it's back to script next game.

Bizarre way for a manager to go on and not a recipe for success I'm sorry to say.
In fairness, no manager leaves Villa for better things, except GT but I bet he wished he hadn't bothered the vile stick he got from the Sun

Dean Smith has done amazingly well for us, got us promoted, kept us up, and even gave us a great run at the start of the season which none of us would of expected.

In his interviews he is totally honest, sees the game as we see it, which begs the bloody question, why does he and his assistants lack the knowledge or foresight to change it when it starts turning ugly, why not change the shape we play bring players on, give the opposition something fresh to think about.

This season has really averaged out, great first half, piss poor second half, we have zero momentum going into next season, the way I see it we’ll finish 12th which is probably where we predicted, I predicted 8th-12th, with the financial backing he has had it’s average.

In the summer as much as we want 2-3 quality signings and that’s exactly what we need, we still have a huge squad to fill, we aren’t quite there yet, that said we are now in a position where I’d hope we can start to recoup some of the money we invested, like Traore, El Ghazi and Wesley should fetch us 50m

Heaton, Kalinic, Taylor, ELM, Engels, Guilbert, Barkley, El Ghazi, Traore, Wesley, Davis and Vassilev all need to go.

Let’s hope we spend on quality, bring in a few free transfers of higher quality and really push on, and
Hopefully Deano improves his tactical know how, and perhaps with better players on the bench he’ll use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.