The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 34 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

I don't get that Sil, everyone learns on the job particularly footballers it's why they peak at 28 onwards - it's never been any different - Yorkie learnt on the job, as did Bozzie, as did Spink, Barry, Milner, as did God and so on.

I'd agree you don't want 'too many' learning on the job when you apply it strictly to younger players but having experience around them doesn't mean stockpiling 34 yr olds again.

He's clearly not going backwards though, he's just hit a wobble during a period where the entire first team have wobbled and everyone is up in arms over a soft challenge that Pogba cheated on.

I don't think he played too badly at all to be honest from what I saw...his head after Pogba though. With more of the team back at it, he's improved again himself mostly.
There's learning on the job though at different levels, Luiz is a ticking time bomb in this DM role , pretty much every game there's a major Ricket or two thrown in with poor decisions leading to fouls and pens . His range of passing isn't good enough either , he's got the worst first touch of any Brazilian I can recall (mind wonders back to that club in puerto banus) .
I get he's still learning but there has to be a basic level to begin at this level.

I see the basics there and we've seen them before when everyone was creaming themselves Man C would be back in for him.

Again, I don't disagree he's wobbled, but I don't get the sudden concern. Luiz gets panned for simple fouls, other players get lauded for clever fouls and so on.

There is no clever foul in or around your own 18 yard box which is where Luiz is doing his worst work

Yet others get lauded for it mate because it means they don't get as far as the CB's, a shooting op and so on. We've been done by some very good FK's since our return, but statistically corners and FK's are safer options - the stats get screwed by good luck and the ilk of Burnley.

What Luiz definitely needs to learn is to move it 5/10 yards forward, again I wouldn't disagree there.

everyone is up in arms over a soft challenge that Pogba cheated on.
I dont think he cheated Mike. Dougie signalled his intentions just before that tackle, dangling a foot in, and he knew it was coming.
With this bunch of useless refs we have, combined with, I am sure, instructions from the Premier League to give penalties for almost anything, and let VAR sort it out, Dougie has to learn you cant put a foot in however weak.
Pogba is not alone, it has become an art form for some Prem players, and the managers encourage it.
Pogba was going nowhere, why give him the chance to go down.

I dont think he cheated Mike. Dougie signalled his intentions just before that tackle, dangling a foot in, and he knew it was coming.
With this bunch of useless refs we have, combined with, I am sure, instructions from the Premier League to give penalties for almost anything, and let VAR sort it out, Dougie has to learn you cant put a foot in however weak.
Pogba is not alone, it has become an art form for some Prem players, and the managers encourage it.

Apart from definate handballs and near assault by goalkeepers.

I'm still worried that City will be in for him. Maybe that is why there are links to us with similar players. He isn't the finished article yet, but I'd hate to see him reach his peak with City, cos he's got a really high ceiling in my eyes. I think Pep will see that too

I'm still worried that City will be in for him. Maybe that is why there are links to us with similar players. He isn't the finished article yet, but I'd hate to see him reach his peak with City, cos he's got a really high ceiling in my eyes. I think Pep will see that too

He is not even good for their bench, never mind the first team. He is not going back there unless there is a significant change in his intelligence and performance levels.

If they were offering the fee of £27.5million thats been banded about, I’d snap their hand off and put it towards Sander Berge or similar player.

We've certainly overplayed the lad this season, 2 seasons at 22ish and he's played most of our games. Getting stick now from some fans which is a shame because he's a good player. Can't be easy sat in Brum thousands of miles from home in a pandemic.
Deano needs to manage him better. Marv is perfectly cable of sharing the burden

The Telegraph are saying that if Fernandinho (as expected) commits to another year with City, they won't activate the buy back this summer.

No idea how accurate that info is, just putting it out there.

Still cheating for me, Luiz didn't even really have a foot in - the contact between both thighs was minimal at best and it's not even a weight thing as Pogba isn't a dwarf.

Still cheating for me, Luiz didn't even really have a foot in - the contact between both thighs was minimal at best and it's not even a weight thing as Pogba isn't a dwarf.
It's the latest con trick , just get their body between you and the ball feel the slightest touch and down they go . At least Ollie was at full speed where the slightest touch knocks you over

Luiz hasn't been himself during the last few months but then again neither have the majority of the squad. He's a major reason why we're a premier league team still and was very good in the first half of the season. I've seen enough not to write him off but let the naysayers do it anyway. They'll be singing his praises and pretending they believed all along when he's back in form.

I'm perfectly happy that he's staying at Villa Park.

The penalty wasn't because of a touch from a loose foot mate, if you watch it closely you'll see Luiz knee Pogba in the back of his knee/lower thigh. It was a particularly bad decision and not the first Luiz has made while "defending" in, or near our box. And yes I agree that if he committed the same fouls 10/15 yards up field, he'd be praised for making a "clever" foul, depending on the circumstances.

The Telegraph are saying that if Fernandinho (as expected) commits to another year with City, they won't activate the buy back this summer.

No idea how accurate that info is, just putting it out there.

From my understanding, if Man City don't activate the buy-back clause this summer, it is therefore null and void.