The Formula 1 Thread | Page 23 | Vital Football

The Formula 1 Thread

Yep, Bottas has the same car as Lewis but can't compete with him or Max who is challenging in an inferior car. Mercedes want that 1-2, not 1-3.
Russell was brilliant in the Merc in that race last season

In Portugal Bottas got pole and only lost pace when he had that sensor problem, so he's not that bad.

The problem with him seems to be he does have the odd bad weekend, or maybe struggles too much on some circuits.

They're going to win the constructors championship, again, so I don't see why hey need to change mid season?

In Portugal Bottas got pole and only lost pace when he had that sensor problem, so he's not that bad.

The problem with him seems to be he does have the odd bad weekend, or maybe struggles too much on some circuits.

They're going to win the constructors championship, again, so I don't see why hey need to change mid season?
I think Bottas is average and only up there because of the car where Max is up there despite the car as he is always way ahead of any teammate. The best drivers get the best out of a poor car which then results in them getting a drive for the top teams. They are all brilliant drivers but Lewis and Max are way ahead of anyone else

Does having two great drivers work, though? Teams push research towards a the car their number one driver likes, and that usually means it doesn't work as well for the other driver. Different driving styles mean the same car isn't always the same for both.

Does having two great drivers work, though? Teams push research towards a the car their number one driver likes, and that usually means it doesn't work as well for the other driver. Different driving styles mean the same car isn't always the same for both.

Oh no, probably not, and there would be fireworks for sure. That's their problem, I'm up for the fun!

very best drivers always get the best out of the same cars, it could be set up for Bottas and Lewis would still beat him

I think Lewis would be a closer to Bottas, but I don't think he'd be as fast as he is now, though.

Isn't one of Max's problems is that he likes the car set up so extremely , nobody else can drive it?

I like Bottas, he's a good driver. Probably the 'Best of the Rest' after Hamilton and Verstappen. But he's not elite, he just doesn't have that something which would mark him out as a potential World Champion.

And he's getting caught by the likes of Lando Norris and maybe Sergio Perez (certainly the Perez of last season). I can see Mercedes cutting him loose, but only at the end of this season. I think they will wait and see what Hamilton decides to do.

Hamilton and Bottas has worked perfectly for Mercedes. They didn’t want 2 drivers truly competing for the world championship as would have ended in tears and thus lose them the constructors. Hamilton v Rosberg wasn‘t great for them.

Hamilton and Bottas were working perfectly but Max has ruined that as even in an inferior car he's too good for Bottas. They can no longer guarantee a 1-2 or a win if Lewis gets taken out for some reason.
Max is a future world champion, Bottas wouldn't win it even in the Merc he's just a support act to Lewis.

On Hamilton's achievement:

Toto Wolff summed events up like this: "Every time, I get asked: 'Was this his best lap or best race?' He is just operating on this extremely unseen, never seen level.

"Today probably the car wasn't perfect and he just edged the other ones out and 100 poles is incredible.

"(Mercedes trackside engineering director) Andrew Shovlin was just saying that if you put all his pole laps together in a video it would last two hours. And that just shows what he has achieved."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57041848