I hate what the world is becoming | Page 57 | Vital Football

I hate what the world is becoming

I agree, having been in both camps, office workers seem to think they are better than the shop floor. It's certainly another prejudice that I have experienced a lot.
Right from when I was 16, I did a 4-year apprenticeship and my mate did 2 years as an office trainee same company, he had a staff canteen and staff toilets we had a works canteen and toilets. He wasn't bright enough to get in as an appro but ended up treated better than me.
Just shows not all things were better 50 years ago as we all can go freely to the same canteens and toilets today. toilet apartheid is no longer an issue but I want compo for the mental scarring I received. wow, I was a victim yes! :wahey:
I agree 57, you paint a picture of IMI Witton 50 years ago, re staff and workforce treatment.

You can tell where you are in life.
Manual labour wash their hands before they take a piss. Non-manual wash their hands after.

I see all of those young people who got drunk in the parks didn't bother picking up after themselves. I would criticise them but I never picked up my empties back in the glory days.

I agree 57, you paint a picture of IMI Witton 50 years ago, re staff and workforce treatment.

Reminds me of my mate, we both applied for a job in the finance dept. as our dept was being moved to Canley in Cov in the early '80s, No way was I travelling 30 miles when I lived 9 miles from Longbridge.

We both had our interviews and the manager who interviewed us was rude and aggressive, me being me, thought to keep cool and calm, it's an interview.
Steve my mate came out fuming, he said he'd lost it with the interviewer and told him a few home truths about how they view people on the shop floor.

Needless to say, neither of us got the job. I stayed put and went into the labour pool and he went to Canley as he feared what might happen to him if he stayed.

A few months later I've got a job in Proto Engine build, I get a tap on the shoulder, turn round and there is Steve all suited and booted. WTF I said, apparently, the bloke who got the fiance job couldn't hack it so they'd offered it to Steve. Why? because he could deal with an aggressive person like a Production Manager who was a normally gobby bully. The finance depts were half graduates and half hairy arsed ex shop floor who could handle a big mouth shouting at them.

Steve went on to become finance director of MG Rover Germany and on John Towes' gang of 4 first-line.
He used to pop into the design office where I ended up and talk to me, my chief engineer said to me once do you know who that is, I said yes he was my 1st-year apprentice when I was in my 3rd year. Silence !!

a bit long-winded but something to read

Reminds me of my mate, we both applied for a job in the finance dept. as our dept was being moved to Canley in Cov in the early '80s, No way was I travelling 30 miles when I lived 9 miles from Longbridge.

We both had our interviews and the manager who interviewed us was rude and aggressive, me being me, thought to keep cool and calm, it's an interview.
Steve my mate came out fuming, he said he'd lost it with the interviewer and told him a few home truths about how they view people on the shop floor.

Needless to say, neither of us got the job. I stayed put and went into the labour pool and he went to Canley as he feared what might happen to him if he stayed.

A few months later I've got a job in Proto Engine build, I get a tap on the shoulder, turn round and there is Steve all suited and booted. WTF I said, apparently, the bloke who got the fiance job couldn't hack it so they'd offered it to Steve. Why? because he could deal with an aggressive person like a Production Manager who was a normally gobby bully. The finance depts were half graduates and half hairy arsed ex shop floor who could handle a big mouth shouting at them.

Steve went on to become finance director of MG Rover Germany and on John Towes' gang of 4 first-line.
He used to pop into the design office where I ended up and talk to me, my chief engineer said to me once do you know who that is, I said yes he was my 1st-year apprentice when I was in my 3rd year. Silence !!

a bit long-winded but something to read
Its a good tale actually 57 especially the interview bit.
Its always difficult to know which way to play it.
Whenever I have supplied the answers I thought they wanted, I usually didnt get the job.
I suppose it makes the case for being who you are come what may.

Its a good tale actually 57 especially the interview bit.
Its always difficult to know which way to play it.
Whenever I have supplied the answers I thought they wanted, I usually didnt get the job.
I suppose it makes the case for being who you are come what may.

I've interviewed quite a few over the last 10 years and the behavioural questions I always got someone else to do while I did the tech questions, I hate bullshit questions like give me a scenario where this or that happened utter modern bullshit.
I'd ask the technical questions then, have a general chat and the is when you can get to the real person, ask them if they could weld or machine or did cars on the side, get a feel for the skills they had.

I'm useless in interviews myself as I assume they have read my CV but mostly they haven't it seems.

I've interviewed quite a few over the last 10 years and the behavioural questions I always got someone else to do while I did the tech questions, I hate bullshit questions like give me a scenario where this or that happened utter modern bullshit.
I'd ask the technical questions then, have a general chat and the is when you can get to the real person, ask them if they could weld or machine or did cars on the side, get a feel for the skills they had.

I'm useless in interviews myself as I assume they have read my CV but mostly they haven't it seems.
I went to an interview for a job for which I was extremely well qualified, only to be told I didnt get the position because they didnt like the outcome of the psychometric test.
They have now been totally discredited as an interview tool, and I am glad I didnt get the shitty job, because I got one that was better.

Nice to get some facts from someone who actually works there.

I do think we are a bit soft when it comes to working conditions these days, next to nobody works 8 hours a day and it's a bit of a culture shock when you get a job where you work a full 8 hours and not 2 or 3.

Most of my jobs have been within reason doing what I need to do when I need to do it, pop off have a chat, make a cuppa, go to the toilet when I want etc.
It's a shock when you get a job on a production line and work 8 hours and have to ask to go to the loo like being a school. Also, warehouse pickers work nonstop.
In fairness, most don't know any other way.
My Dad did nearly 50 years on the Mini line, that's tough trust me. Most of my jobs first thing was a cuppa and a chat about last night TV or Match then I might start work about 25 mins in. got my day in by 10am sort of jobs

You only have to look on here during the day to find out how hard people have it who are supposed to be at work but can find time to post and read Vital villa

She works nights and does a 10 hour shift but does 4 on and 3 off. They have a massive turnover of workers but she says it's the ones who can't hack it and are always skiving that they get rid of. She got promoted pretty quickly as a reward for her hard work and gets regular bonuses. She gets paid well too and gets plenty of perks.

US to a degree, UK, no way. We can't afford it, we're nowhere near the size of Russia.

Physically, Russia is huge but in terms of GDP, the UK is twice as big. The Russians don't have the economic or military might to do anything to the UK or US. They skirt around the edges trying to be as annoying as possible.

Physically, Russia is huge but in terms of GDP, the UK is twice as big. The Russians don't have the economic or military might to do anything to the UK or US. They skirt around the edges trying to be as annoying as possible.

Have you had a look at the link I posted?